Arrows not spinning true

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I could use some advice. I have several arrows that aren't spinning true on the spinner. These are Easton Axis with a field points and inserts that I picked up from my local shop.

I have a G5 ASD to square the ends, but the inserts are epoxied in place. What do you recommended - Square the ends of the inserts? Or remove the inserts, then square the arrow, then re-epoxy the inserts, and square the insert? Something else? If it's best to remove the insert, can I use heat to break the epoxy or will the heat mess with the carbon?
I'm pretty handy but want to make sure I'm doing it right.
Thanks.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Use a drill bit that fits inside the arrow and use it to hit it out from the inside by flicking the arrow. I'd square the arrow and ensure the insert was square.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
One side of the G5 ASD is for squaring an alum insert; the side with the cutting edge verses the rough sandpaper like side.

OR Archer

WKR
Just square up the Carbon. If you try and remove the HIT insert your chances of ruining the shaft are pretty high. The way the HIT inserts are designed makes it very difficult for them to not be square in the shaft.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just from reading his post, it doesn't sound like HIT inserts. Not even sure how you'd square HIT's, but they've never needed it IME. That's one reason why I like HIT's so much, they tend to spin true no matter how long I have the arrows.

OD of insert could be out of tolerance causing it to be secured by expoy to the low side of the ID of the shaft.

As mentioned try a field point that spins true in one arrow to check the rest.

Gumbo

WKR
I quit shooting Axis shafts because about 1/4 of them were noticeably wobbly and weight tolerances were not very good. Gold Tip Chaos were even worse and had major differences in wall diameter; some components barely fit on one end but were loose on the other. The tolerances on these arrows in my experience just aren't great. Went to Black Eagle Rampages and they are all absolutely spot on when spun or weighed and wall diameter is much more consistent than the Gold Tips as well. I use HITs in them with absolutely no issues (once you learn how to get the depth set consistently). I think Rampages are a little less durable though, but they are cheaper, so I will take the tradeoff.

OP
Sam's dad

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
Great advice here guys. I was able to true 2 from squaring the end of the insert, the other three are now grouse projectiles. Thanks!

Beendare

WKR
I quit shooting Axis shafts because about 1/4 of them were noticeably wobbly and weight tolerances were not very good. ....

I assemble my own Axis and have a dozen that are all within 2 grains and square mine on a homemade jig. 8 out of 10 BH spin true first time....the other 2 of 10 are fine after going back on the jig. I would say you should find someone else to assemble your arrows...or do them yourself.

Axis; its crucial to square the ends of these with fine sandpaper on a jig to take out the imperfections right off the saw

I always have the shop leave the inserts out when i buy arrows and do them myself. square everything and match the broadheads when I am epoxying the shafts. I am not very good, however out of a dozen i usually get 6 that spin true with the broadheads. I make sure I mark the heads and the shafts so I can keep them together.

Consistent spine matters way more that straightness. Weight matters more that straightness. Use your arrow squaring device to square inserts. Mark insert faces with sharpie markers and sand them until all sharpie marker is removed. See how your groups turn out. I will second the statement about Black Eagle. Dozens are spine matched. If you can, SPLINE match them as well. Straightness is not the end-all, be-all. Carbon arrows don't suffer from straightness issues that aluminum arrows do.