Can someone just tell me what broadheads to buy?

Augustus46

Lil-Rokslider
I'm new to archery hunting and I have mulie hunt coming up. Every time I start researching a specific broadhead, I see 1,000 posts saying why that one sucks. I'm about to the point where I'm just going to go to scheels, close my eyes, and grab a pack of whatever hits my hand first.

Rage Hypodermics if you want a mechanical.

Kudu points if you want a fixed blade.

Both fly like darts and both are great!

Best of luck, you'll get 1,000 opinions on this one, just be sure to consider the source!

robie

WKR
Slick Tricks or Muzzy Trocar 100 gr fixed blade.

Not fancy or hyped but have worked for years for many hunters.

Finch

WKR
I made the switch to Slick Trick standards this year. They look small but man do they fly well. You can get 4 for $40. Had been a muzzy shooter my whole life before this year.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've used both 125gr Spitfires and Grim Reaper Fatal Steel's on elk with great success and performance, so I wouldn't hesitate to use either of those on deer. They both fly great even at long range and both have sharp blades as well. I'll be trying the Killzones this year.

But if you want to stick to fixed heads, Wac'em 3-blade originals are the best flying fixed heads I've tried. It would be hard to go wrong with any of these heads.

Kilboars

WKR
How well do you shoot out to 60 yards?

A fixed blade broad heads blades will act like vanes on the front of the arrow and try to steer your arrows when it's shot. Because of this you don't want very large blades and you need too have great consistent form and a perfectly tuned bow. With that said I think the Muzzy three blade 1-1/8'' Trocars are great.

If the state allows mechanical broad heads ( and most states do ) they will fly much much closer to your field points and you can get them with a bigger cutting surface which makes for shorter blood trails. Personally I only shoot 2'' two blade Wasp Jak-Knife because they are simple to use and re-use and the two blades penetrate deeper than 3 blades.

Good luck, I hope this helps. Just what ever you do shoot them a lot before the hunt.

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Saying anything negative about someones broadhead choice on the internet is like calling their dog ugly or their wife fat.... you will quickly see people get defensive and even aggressive. It is as certain as gravity. We all shoot a certain broadhead based on our own experiences, personal preferences, research, and testing. There is a much smaller list of broadheads NOT to buy then there is a list of the "Best one" to buy. Most broadheads excel at certain things.... for some its cutting diameter, or durability, or penetration, or reliability, or flight. In my mind I dont want a broadhead that excels at some of these but is severely lacking at the others. I want a good all-around broadhead that can hold it's own in all of these categories with minimal weaknesses. Most of the heads listed above fall into this category in my opinion.

But since you asked.... 125 QAD Exodus. Buy with confidence.

mvmnts

WKR
No, no one can. Buy a set and shoot them. Do they fly well? Yes, then great. If not, rinse and repeat. I've shot a couple of the broadheads recommended already and neither of them would shoot out of my bow, even after I had the bow bare shaft tuned. Nobody can do that work for you.

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
I will say one thing to the OP....and sorry if this sounds like im on a soap box. Archery/bowhunting is not like hunting with a rifle. Most people shoot, practice, tune, and test their bows/arrows/broadheads painstakingly throughout the year, making small adjustments to their set-ups along the way until they have a high level of confidence in their set-up and abilities. Next year if you go on a mule deer hunt, spend some time in the spring shooting some different broadhead setups and tuning your bow, you will learn a lot! Probably a little late in the game this year to do much testing/tuning.

KMT

WKR
Funny! I use NAP Thunderheads. Why? Because they were the first ones I saw when I started archery hunting 20 years ago. I doubt there is a real difference among any of the ones you can find.

OP
A

Augustus46

Lil-Rokslider
How well do you shoot out to 60 yards?

Good luck, I hope this helps. Just what ever you do shoot them a lot before the hunt.

I practice, 60 yards has been the max range that I shoot at. I don't think I would take a shot at something further than that just because I'm still new to archery (1< year).

OP
A

Augustus46

Lil-Rokslider
So, is this clearing it up for you?

Lol...

Kind of? Ha ha. I think I'm going to buy a pack of rages and a pack of slick tricks and be done with it. If they fail me, I guess I'll be another angry poster when someone asks about a certain broadhead...

yak

Lil-Rokslider
Try a couple out and gain confidence with the one you choose. As you've read, no one broadhead is the end-all-be-all. Many of different head will do the job, so long as you've got practice shooting them and feel confident in them.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've shot my last 4 muleys with the Iron Will v100s at 40, 45, 55, & 65 yards.

WKR
Kind of? Ha ha. I think I'm going to buy a pack of rages and a pack of slick tricks and be done with it. If they fail me, I guess I'll be another angry poster when someone asks about a certain broadhead...

People tend to focus on the broadhead when in reality, putting it in the right place is 90% of the battle. Do that, and as long as you're reasonably tuned and shooting a reasonable amount of energy, then the animal will die.

I think the choices you've made are good ones (I shoot neither btw), now focus on the other 90% of the equation.

Side note, as something to consider, if you've shot to 60 yards max, and are fairly competent at that range, your effective hunting range might be around 30-40 yards. Practice twice as far as you plan on shooting, is sort of a general rule, but we each have to make those decisions for ourselves.

Good luck in your first season.