Can someone just tell me what broadheads to buy?

Hokkaido

Banned
Damn. It's precisely the attitude of the OP that makes rokslide hard to like. And furthermore the posts that followed. I can just see an easily frustrated snowflake saying "Please just tell me what broadhead to buy!! HELP"

Rush in the overprotective know-it-all older brothers...in their fancy shiny camo.. ready to answer all the tough questions...

"Why is it that when I find the coolest BH suddenly other dudes start attacking me with negativity?"
"If I use a mech head with a 2in width I should be able to take more off angle shots at longer distances right?"
"Muzzy and Thunderheads are so old!! Why don't they just go away!!!!!?"
"Why are there still two blade BHs?"
"What BH matches my kuiu gear the best?"
"I want the most durable BH cuz after spending like a thousand bucks on the hunt and a week away from work I need to reuse my $10 BH"

I just don't get it boys. I found my broadhead by shooting different ones from my bow, from learning how they react to the my shooting style and the things I did to my bow. What kind of chump change is the OP trying to save??

I found one I liked and didn't care what other dude's opinions were, not that I ever asked. And I am thankful the design has not changed over the years. (Geez I wonder why??)

One year I drew a special antelope tag by chance, 2% odds. I aimed at one little dark spot on an antelope's shoulder at 52 yards with my Q2 and even though I was shaking a bit I was able to see the arrow hit DEAD ON that little dark spot.

It's these things that make the perfect BH. Go find yourself one.

The buck scored 89 5/8 and would have been #2 P&Y at the time.

But I knew it would hit dead on... You see I put some thought into my BH. I knew it could work, and I made it my job to make it work. I've been shooting it ever since... Well no, I was shooting it for two years before that hunt... two years and two muleys. It's things like these that define your perfect BH, surely not some tallywacker's opinion on rokslide. I'm sure there are better options out there, but I don't give a FF. I am blessed in knowing there is no perfect BH, only a perfect shot and I only hope to make my broadhead a formidable one. You see, in the end it is up to us, for the BH is the leading edge of the arrow we shoot, and I for one hope to always make a memorable impression.

Back then there were many BHs on the market.. It's not like they just figured this shit out eh. I looked at them all. I thought about them. I thought about how they would fly, how they would cut, how they would penetrate. There is no best broadhead dude...until you go find it. You gotta figure it out, otherwise when shit doesn't go right you're just gonna blame some dude on rokslide for your failed performance.

I find your question disrespectful. You shouldn't be worried about what a 1000 other wankers are thinking.. you should only be considering what kind of first impression you can make.

541hunter

WKR
Damn. It's precisely the attitude of the OP that makes rokslide hard to like. And furthermore the posts that followed. I can just see an easily frustrated snowflake saying "Please just tell me what broadhead to buy!! HELP"

Rush in the overprotective know-it-all older brothers...in their fancy shiny camo.. ready to answer all the tough questions....

Learning from others experiences is a bad thing? At worst he is going to get a group of broadheads to start with and go from there... I agree that he should do his own bh testing and not settle on one persons opinion. But to rag on someone when they are obviously frustrated due to lack of experience is asinine. Feel triggered much? This is coming from someone who is going into their 2nd archery season and has been through the second guessing and the endless choices in a potentially saturated market. Hell I still question my decisions from time to time when it comes to equipment choices. Perhaps this will go way when I finally get to watch that first arrow burry deep into the vitals of my quarry and experience success. Until then...... End rant. To the original poster I am using slick trick viper tricks and have had good luck with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider

Rush in the overprotective know-it-all older brothers...in their fancy shiny camo.. ready to answer all the tough questions...

"Why is it that when I find the coolest BH suddenly other dudes start attacking me with negativity?"
"If I use a mech head with a 2in width I should be able to take more off angle shots at longer distances right?"
"I want the most durable BH cuz after spending like a thousand bucks on the hunt and a week away from work I need to reuse my $10 BH"

I just don't get it boys. I found my broadhead by shooting different ones from my bow, from learning how they react to the my shooting style and the things I did to my bow. What kind of chump change is the OP trying to save??

I found one I liked and didn't care what other dude's opinions were, not that I ever asked. And I am thankful the design has not changed over the years. (Geez I wonder why??)

One year I drew a special antelope tag by chance, 2% odds. I aimed at one little dark spot on an antelope's shoulder at 52 yards with my Q2 and even though I was shaking a bit I was able to see the arrow hit DEAD ON that little dark spot.

But I knew it would hit dead on... You see I put some thought into my BH. I knew it could work, and I made it my job to make it work. I've been shooting it ever since... Well no, I was shooting it for two years before that hunt... two years and two muleys. It's things like these that define your perfect BH, surely not some tallywacker's opinion on rokslide. I'm sure there are better options out there, but I don't give a FF. I am blessed in knowing there is no perfect BH, only a perfect shot and I only hope to make my broadhead a formidable one. You see, in the end it is up to us, for the BH is the leading edge of the arrow we shoot, and I for one hope to always make a memorable impression.

Back then there were many BHs on the market.. It's not like they just figured this shit out eh. I looked at them all. I thought about them. I thought about how they would fly, how they would cut, how they would penetrate. There is no best broadhead dude...until you go find it. You gotta figure it out, otherwise when shit doesn't go right you're just gonna blame some dude on rokslide for your failed performance.

I find your question disrespectful. You shouldn't be worried about what a 1000 other wankers are thinking.. you should only be considering what kind of first impression you can make.

Ummmm, ok. The guy is just looking for some help. What is so wrong with asking for help?

OP, don't get discouraged. It's a perfectly legit question to ask and the opinions (and BH bashing) can be overwhelming.

I think part of the challenge is there is no perfect broadhead and they all come with trade-offs. How well a BH flies is only part of the equation. Plenty of quality BHs have been named already. I'm debating on using NAP Killzones or Grim Reaper Razortips this year, based entirely on recommendations. They both fly fine out of my bow, so that's a wash. As far as effectiveness, reliability, and durability, I have to base it entirely on other people's opinions as I haven't killed anything with either.

KHNC

WKR
It has been fairly well covered here, but i'll add my $0.02...

It is going to depend on what qualities are most important to you in a head. A few things to consider:

1) mechanicals are not legal in every state and can have deployment issues in some cases, but I would bet more deer are killed with them nation wide than fixed. Not my cup of tea, so I won't recommend them.
2) A mechanical that is poorly tuned will GENERALLY fly more true to field points than a fixed blade
3) "Barbed" broadheads are not legal in every state (angle less than 90 degrees to the shaft from the back edge of the blade)
4) Penetration on any head will be greatly reduced if the arrow is out of tune
5) Large cutting diameter heads will typically have less penetration. I prefer to stay under 1 1/4" cut diameter for mule deer and elk
6) In my personal experience, the majority of replaceable blade fixed heads do not spin test perfectly as often as fixed/non-replaceable blade heads.
7) your broadhead should be the same weight as the field points that you shoot with in general - since you are fairly new to this, i would try to stick with this until you know how to tune the different point weights.

Some good heads:

1) Shuttle T-locks - always spun well for me and have killed shit with them. Never failed me or had a head break when hitting ribs/offside shoulder
2) Montec CS - sharp out of the box and spin well. Have several buddies that shoot these to good effect. Like them much better than standard montec
3) Magnus Stinger or Stinger Buzcut - great value for fixed blade heads. Requires a well tuned arrow to shoot with field points
4) VPA - 2 blade is very solid and have shot well for me. Haven't tried the 3 blade, but I assume they are great as well.
5) Ramcat - great head, have seen them tune well. not leagal in idaho (barbed)
6) Slick Tricks - Tune very easily in my experience. Have seen them get damaged fairly easily, but they fly well out quite a ways
7) QAD Exodus - Have seen these fly identical to field points way out there. Not Idaho legal in the swept version (barbed).
8) Solid broadheads or Iron Will - These fall into the "high end" category, but are awesome. Up to you if you want to spend the money required.

Any of these heads will serve you well, as would a number of different options, depending on what qualities you want in a head. With your spec of a 60 yard max shot, I would grab some Magnus on sale somewhere and shoot them. The biggest factors at ranges inside 60 is having a well tuned bow and arrows set up for hunting IMHO. I would suggest staying north of 450 grains overall arrow weight if you can. Spin test your arrows and practice with broadheads attached enough to be confident.

All this said, I personally still use the shuttle T-locks most of the time. This is because I have confidence in them and can get replacement blades. I will practice with them for a month before season, then swap out blades and spin test. I will shoot them once to validate prior to going out. I may swap to a "premium" head for next year...we shall see?

A RAMCAT is NOT a barbed head and IS legal in all states. The blades rotate forward on removal.

texag10

WKR
Wow.

OP, nothing wrong with your question. Trying to speed up the learning process by drawing on the experience of others is a good idea. Some people get pretty shitty as season approaches.

Murdy

WKR

I find your response disrespectful, and to the extent you think he "should only be considering what kind of first impression [he] can make," a bit shallow as well.

TheCougar

WKR
Don't over think it. Buy a reputable brand. If it's sharp and your bow is tuned, it will do the trick. Spend more time shooting than worrying about what is on the tip of the arrow. Good fixed blades: QAD Exodus (my choice), slick tricks, wasp. Good mechanicals: Rage, wasp, grim reaper, Grave Digger (trying these this year).

OP
A

Augustus46

Lil-Rokslider

Sorry I offended you and some how made your day worse by seeking some discussion from people who I know have more experience than myself. Good luck on your hunting season.

As for me, I ended up buying the Rage's and the Slick Trick Mags. After spending some time shooting them, they both were very close to my field points but I was more consistent with the Rage's so I'll be sticking with those for the hunt. My season opens on Saturday so I'll be in the mountains, hopefully with a chance to put them to work.

If this place is hard to like, get gone. I find your attitude hard to like, better yet, I hate it. I find your post disrespectful to the OP and the responses to follow. Let me get this straight, you are telling the OP he shouldn't be worried about what others are saying, and I be damned, if you don't go on a rant of what others are saying. The irony of it all...and your impression is not a good one at all...

Sorry I offended you and some how made your day worse by seeking some discussion from people who I know have more experience than myself. Good luck on your hunting season.

As for me, I ended up buying the Rage's and the Slick Trick Mags. After spending some time shooting them, they both were very close to my field points but I was more consistent with the Rage's so I'll be sticking with those for the hunt. My season opens on Saturday so I'll be in the mountains, hopefully with a chance to put them to work.

Good luck on your hunt! Those Rages will work great on deer!

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a friendly reminder, being a dick like Hokkaido does not promote the learning atmosphere we try to keep here on Rokslide and won't be tolerated. Healthy debate is fine, but that kind of attitude does not foster entertaining differential opinion.

Last edited:

shadow

FNG
A RAMCAT is NOT a barbed head and IS legal in all states. The blades rotate forward on removal.

I don't disagree with the concept you are talking about, and a Ramcat is one of my favorite heads. However, a friend of mine and I as well was planning on shooting them in Idaho, and called and talked to a conservation officer and one of the directors and he was told specifically that since the blades can move on the broadhead, it is classified as a mechanical, and is therefore not legal in Idaho. As backwards and silly as it may be, he was told not to use them in Idaho and would be written a ticket if he did use them.

robie

WKR

Good luck. I've run both and like both. I damn near split a turkey in half with the Rage's.

Slick trick mags have made dropped two deer in sight of where I shot them.

Don't apologize for asking the question. People have different philosophy's on gear. Some love to test every facet of the market and some love to find what works and stick with it. I like the buy the most consistent product on the market, that doesn't always mean the latest or that there isn't something better.

I believe the guy at my archery shop's comment on slick tricks was "Not fancy but they will work every time".

Almost any broadhead, if it is sharp and put in the right place, will kill animals.
Buy a few, try them out. Keep the ones that you can consistently put where you want them at your effective range.
Everything else is Madison Ave. marketing.
My 2 cents....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmcan

WKR

" It's precisely the attitude of the OP that makes rokslide hard to like"

Seriously??? Maybe switch to decaff, and/or switch to a different site. No harm in asking questions, especially as a newb. And no need to chastise and lambast someone that hasn't had the same degree of success and presumed prowess as you. Congrats. I hope we will all achieve your great success while still remaining humble. Peace out.

Simple, buy the largest cutting diameter head you can consistently shoot accurately at the distances you plan to kill game at whatever that may be. Archery is a sport of constant refinement of your form, gear, technique, etc and it will always be evolving as long as youre doing it. Your choice of broadhead is part of that process. Welcome to the obsession that is hunting with a bow.

I don't disagree with the concept you are talking about, and a Ramcat is one of my favorite heads. However, a friend of mine and I as well was planning on shooting them in Idaho, and called and talked to a conservation officer and one of the directors and he was told specifically that since the blades can move on the broadhead, it is classified as a mechanical, and is therefore not legal in Idaho. As backwards and silly as it may be, he was told not to use them in Idaho and would be written a ticket if he did use them.

Shadow has,.. the CORRECT, answer on Idaho's rule, for Broadheads !
The Exodus "Swept" style, Head, is illegal, too !

Last edited: