Whistling arrows with field tips

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
I seem to have a strange problem. I recently switched my arrows to BEA Deep Impact with AAE Stealth Max vanes. I have some Saunders field points on them and the standard nocks that came with the arrow shafts. When I first shot them at my local archery shop all seemed fine. I then took them out to my outdoor range and shot them at 60yards and every arrow has an audible whistle sound. The vanes are fletched straight with no offset as best I can tell.

I started searching the internet and so far haven't found anyone experiencing this problem with these vanes. Everyone seems to have the opposite happen with them, where they make arrow flight quieter.

So I ask all of you.. any ideas? any more info you might need from me? I've never had arrows make this sound before and my first thought was that it has to be the vanes. I have yet to strip a few and try something else. My previous arrows were FMJs with Blazers and I didn't have this problem.

Stoof

FNG
Narrow it down by trying different points and shoot some broad heads. If it still whistles it's got to be the vanes.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Shoot a bareshaft and see if it still does it. If I had to guess: it does and it because of the outserts, not the vanes.

jestanw1

FNG
Have you checked all the vanes to see if they are glued down to the shaft through out the entire vane? If a tip or tail of a vane is not glued down completely it can cause a funky sound. I would imagine that if the middle of a vane wasn't glued down well enough and the tip and tail of the vane was I would assume that air traveling through that gap could cause a whistle.

d3ntalbliss

Lil-Rokslider
Have you checked all the vanes to see if they are glued down to the shaft through out the entire vane? If a tip or tail of a vane is not glued down completely it can cause a funky sound. I would imagine that if the middle of a vane wasn't glued down well enough and the tip and tail of the vane was I would assume that air traveling through that gap could cause a whistle.
This was my exact thought.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

OP
laltaffer

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
On visual inspection all vanes are glued down. This also happens on every arrow. I didn't glue them myself so I can't speak to the actual process or how close the shop owner paid attention but I'll look again and maybe strip one to try the bare shaft suggestion.

I have some VAP insert/outserts on them. It was suggested by the owner and since these were new arrows to me I went with it. Come to find out the ones he used seemed to have been discontinued so I guess my next batch won't be the same. It will be really interesting to see if its the outsert causing the sound. Will also really suck as I don't think I have much of a chance getting them off.. they were put on with a two part expoxy.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Everyone seems to say that the Flex Fletch Silent Knight vanes are quiet, but they're the loudest vanes I've ever shot. In fact they're the only vanes I've ever heard leave the bow. So who knows.