Different Broadhead's different POI

GFY

Lil-Rokslider
I've been shooting slick trick standard 100 gr for several years and thought I would try the viper tricks this year for something new. I stack my standards and field points out to 60 yards then see a little drop in the broadheads vs field points. Today I screwed on the viper tricks and they shoot 3-4 inches left at 30 and more at 40 (got the hint and didn't try farther). I am planing on sticking with the standards but would like to see if someone could help me figure this out.

Shooting a 70# Bowtech 360 XT hunter 300 spine with the 50 gr fact weights in the insert and 100 gr heads, arrow weighs 462 gr and is moving 288 fps.

I will probably mess around with a couple other heads but not sure I can find one that shoots better than the standards for me.

RJP

jmez

WKR
Different heads will have different flight characteristics. Standards are likely a little more foregiving than the Vipers. I'd bet if you tuned to the Viper Tricks your Standards would still shoot well.

OP
GFY

GFY

Lil-Rokslider
Ok thanks. Twist cables or move the rest? I think if I move the rest I will move standards and field points?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's funny, a few years ago I had 9 different 125gr BH's all hitting with FP's out to 60 yards. Then I threw on a 125gr Slick Trick Mag and they consistently hit 4" lower than everything else. Same for the swept blade Exodus.......2" high, and 2" left consistently. Yep, they all have different flight characteristics.........so which one do you tune to? The ones you're going to be hunting with.

Whisky

WKR
Yep, they all have different flight characteristics.........so which one do you tune to? The ones you're going to be hunting with.

This ^^^

Last year I shot 3 heads while tuning and the first head to hit with FP's (or close enough to them) won. I saw significant POI differences in all 3 heads. Oddly for me, the Slick Trick standards were the worse!

I suck at bow tuning, and really don't enjoy it. So the less time I spend tinkering and more time shooting is better for me.

KHNC

WKR
Ramcats consistently fly damn good for me. Just shot mine out to 80 last evening. Impacting within a couple inches at that distance. Right with FP out to 50 regularly. People sometimes complain about ramcats having loose blades when pulled out of targets. This is not the case with a pass thru. I have killed quite a few animals with them over the years. I am not a fan of the new ownership but i still have alot of the heads. I will continue to shoot them until i run out. Then decide if want to buy from the new owners.

jmez

WKR
A lot of it depends on how fine of adjustments you want to make. I had an issue a few years ago with Magnus Black Hornet. ST mags, and Razor tricks were spot on, could shoot them interchangeably. I bought some of the Black Hornets and they were a touch right and low. I tuned the bow to them and the ST Mags and Razor Tricks were still right on.

In my mind, not sure if it is right, the lower profile heads were more forgiving of the bow tune and my form so they flew correctly. The Black Hornet has a much larger profile and would obviously have different flight characteristics. I think it wasn't quite as forgiving a BH so magnifying small problems that didn't show up with the smaller head. Similar to differences between FP's and BH's, just more subtle.

Was visiting with a buddy of mine at the time and he BH tunes all of his bows with the old school Thunderhead 125's. If you have never seen them, they are about twice the length and width as today's low profile heads. Said when he gets his bow dialed in with those he can shoot anything.

I'm just finishing up fine tuning for 125g solids. Started off 4"right and 2-3" low as seen in first picture. (Aiming at different top spots from 30yds). 2nd picture is 57yds 2fp 2bh calling it good for the moment
406a3bcdd0c7b361dc53034bf8c93e8d.jpg
af6f7ce36658efa7269f1e3ad275b739.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
GFY

GFY

Lil-Rokslider
Can't figure out how to post a picture anymore. Will work on it.

30 yards bare shaft is tail high and 2 inches low. 50 yards 3 Broadhead's and three field points are all in a 6" pie plate. 100 yard field point group is 6" with 5 arrows, all Just left of bullseye.

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
6 inches at 50 is in the kill zone. Have you shot bareshafts at 30 yards before? That is a long ways with a bareshaft.

OP
GFY

GFY

Lil-Rokslider
Bareshaft was tail high and impact low at 20 so I thought I would try 30 to see what happened. Starting to notice a lot of peep twist and am going to get new strings and cables and start over. Still have a month to get dialed in. Will probably just stick with the standards as they have always shit well for me. Just wanted a little more cutting surface and cut in contact for a moose tag I drew this year.

OP
GFY

GFY

Lil-Rokslider
Smart phones can be dumb... "shot"

Last edited:
I used Shane Chunings tuning process this year for the first time. This was the first and only time I made zero adjustments to my bow when I shot my broadheads. They flew just like my feildpoints. I was very impressed to say the least. I would highly recommend watching his videos.

OP
GFY

GFY

Lil-Rokslider
So I had my strings and cables switched out and started over. Now have field points and standard slick tricks groping great out to 70,haven't shot past that yet. The viper tricks shoot with them out to 40 then start to open up a little. Looks like I will stick with the standards and be good to go. Thanks to everyone for the help.