Broadheads for Moose hunt

So I'm heading out on a moose hunt this fall and am still settling on the fixed blade I want to use. I'm hoping to get some recommendations then try a handful out to narrow it down from there. Any fixed blade recommendations?

bates

WKR
Jack what is your bow and arrow setup?

I am in a similar boat but wont be in BC until 2018 chasing moose, right now i am anxiously awaiting field reports from the Iron Will broadheads they are at the top of my list.

OP
J
Using a PSE and pulling 60 pounds, 400 grain gold tips arrows and was planning on putting 125 gr on them. I picked up a pack of magnus stingers and also a pack of slick tricks but am still looking to maybe try out another set

Fire_9

WKR
So are you looking for a total arrow weight of 525 grains? The cost of the iron wills is insane. No possible way I would pay that much with the number of cheaper but quality heads out there. If you're looking for a two blade I'd look either cutthroat or abowyer. Both make a quality head and are half the price of the iron will heads.

Trial153

WKR
I used a 475 grain total weight BE A Rampage on my moose last year with 100 grain solids. no issues at all. 40 yard double lung pass through, the bill went 50 feet and tipped ass over tea kettle . the head and the staff was a good as new.

Last edited:

4ester

WKR
Moose aren't bulletproof. Stay away from that shoulder and any good broadhead will work. In 2012 I used the slick trick standards on mine. Crowded the shoulder with the first shot and very little penetration, second shot at 45 was perfect and a complete pass-through. Dead within 100 yards.

Follow me on Instagram @ high_mountain_hunter

geriggs

WKR
Yea being at 60 pounds i prefer a 2 blade or 2 blade with bleeders COC head. Silver Flame, Iron Will, Solid, MAgnus Stingers, bishop..etc. All things being equal you SHOULD get more penetration out of the 2 blade COC head over a 3 or 4 blade head. Less resistance (a slice vs a punch through the hide). Down side is because its only a slice, if you only have one hole you may not have as good a blood trail. I prefer 2 holes to 1. I generally get full pass throughs on elk with 60 pounds and silver flames (this year was a TT ATAC). 425-450 gr arrow total weight small diameter.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at steel force phat heads I've been really impressed how well they fly. I've shot both the 100 and 125 and they both are great. Their only downfall is the aluminum feral but I don't think it's a big deal. The main blades are about as tough as it gets, and the price is decent at $30-$35 for 3.

Beendare

WKR
I am assuming odds are good for a frontal shot...so i'm using the VPA 150gr 2 blade...with some 3 blades in there too as they tune the same at bowhunting distance

I'm running the obsolete Rocky Mt Titanium 3-blade 1-1/8" cut for moose. The 5 moose I've shot were with this head (or the 125 gr Iron head version) and 4-blade Zwickey Eskimo or Delta heads years back. They all worked fine with no penetration issues, including the one shot with a 380 grain arrow weight........pass through and arrow lost in the swamp beyond. Moose don't seem as tough to kill as elk in my experience with a lot more elk (nearly 40) in my personal data base.

GotDraw?

WKR
No insult meant to poster "4ester", but I think that post actually makes the point pretty well that moose perhaps are a bit bullet proof (as least to a four blade non-cut on contact broadhead trying to punch a big 4 bladed hole through shoulder bone). Thankfully, there was a chance for a second shot and it connected to the lungs or it might have been a tag-soup hunt and very disappointing.

In the past, I've used Magnus Stingers 2 blades on whitetail and have been very satisfied. Additionally, a recent comparison I read rated Magnus well. That said, this Fall I will rely on the Iron Will 125s with bleeders when the chips are down for moose. A whitetail hunt costs me a couple gallons of fuel and in-state license. If it's pouring rain, I can pack it up and go home. A few posters have decried Iron Wills because of price. I agree, they are not cheap (compared to mass produced, off the shelf broadheads with thinner 440 stainless blades and mild steel ferrules).

But what is the real world price difference?

Magnus Stingers are about $35.99 for 3 at Cabelas. IW's are $99.95 for 3. And Elk or moose hunt costs thousands of dollars. Just over $20 per broadhead difference is not going to break the bank for a broadhead that is pretty much a custom machined, best in class steel, perfectly sharp, alpha class broadhead for an expensive hunt where I want to eliminate as much chance for equipment failure and disappointment as possible. IWs are far less expensive than tag soup and far less expensive than my spotter or binos or pretty much any single piece of my gear. If I break one, then I must have hit Kryptonite, not bone. Poster "4ester", states that he stuck a shoulder with no penetration on an elk hut, moose are hundreds of pounds larger. This is the precise reason to buy a two blade broadead. Ignoring the debate about single bevel vs double bevel, pure physics would state that it is far easier to get a two blade COC broadhead through bone than a full three or four blader non-COC. A tough, cut on contact head will cut through hide, muscle and bone needing less energy.

It would have been interesting to know poster "4ester's" draw weight, arrow speed and distance of the shot.

The Original Poster's draw weight is close to mine and all of my research lead me to a 2 blade cut on contact broadhead and I wanted a super strong ferrule and super strong/thick blades, thus my decision.

Good luck on the hunt!

JL

Moose aren't bulletproof. Stay away from that shoulder and any good broadhead will work. In 2012 I used the slick trick standards on mine. Crowded the shoulder with the first shot and very little penetration, second shot at 45 was perfect and a complete pass-through. Dead within 100 yards.

Last edited:

4ester

WKR
Haha. No offense taken here.

But I do think you will be very disappointed when your COC 2 Blade broadhead comes to a dead stop when you shoot into the front shoulder of a moose. I don't think there is a broadhead out there that will penetrate and continued through that bone very far.

But I do agree with your thinking. Those big 2 blade heads would have to help penetration.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
I prefer a 2 blade, COC broadhead and my favorite is the German Kinetic. The downside of a 2 blade is a small blood trail. Having watched many elk go down, I have yet to see any broadhead take on a scapula/front shoulder and win. That said, most and of today's broadheads, be they mass produced or individually made, will kill a moose. I do like a heavier broadhead, 125 grains +. I've taken game with GK's, Slick Tricks, Solids, Magnus, etc. and the animals all died. I was very confident where my arrow was going to end up when I released it. If you have a broadhead that shoots consistently and you are confident in, I'd use that.

elkguide

WKR
By the way.........

When an arrow hits a front shoulder on an elk or a whitetail, it sounds like a 2X4 breaking!

(Had 2 hunters try and shoot through a shoulder with their "super, heavy draw weight, latest and greatest" and it didn't happen!)