Which Release?

treillw

WKR
Looking to get a new archery release that will enable me to shoot a handgun while I'm wearing the release. Anything special out there that I should consider? I haven't looked at releases in probably 20 years.

If you shoot a handheld release you can either leave it clipped to your bow or in your pack. No worries about interfering in case the need arises for a sidearm.

All the wrist releases I've used can either flip out of the way, or are on a flexible strap that allows them to hang out of the way when gripping a sidearm. My release of choice is the Carter 'Like Mike'... havent had an issue the few times I've grabbed a pistol with it on.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I think the wrist strap on type will work. I don't like the idea of having something completely detached from me (handheld) - it will probably end up on the ground somewhere with my luck.

The release I have now is what I'll call the "glove" type - has a padded section that crosses your palm, which isn't good for big handguns.

The tru-fire hardcore looks pretty nice. I'm pretty sure they are one of the top manufacturers, not? Is it a hard transition to a release with a "fishhook" to attach onto the string instead of the "pincher". Any advantages to either one? It is kinda nice to clip your release onto the bowstring and not have to worry about it coming off while waiting for a shot on an animal.

Thanks for the help!

Squirrels

WKR
Hooks are much nicer. Shoot a hook style for a couple days and then grab a release with caliper jaws and you will throw it to the side quickly. You mentioned the hardcore, I've heard great things about it. You can get two Truball Fangs for the price of a hardcore and they are nice as well.

When I shot index releases, I made the switch from a caliper to a hook because of added accuracy of the hook. I thought the same thing you did about wanting it attached, but after a couple stalks on animals I was glad that I had the hook. When I would have to re-range the animal, it was completely silent to take my release off the d loop. With a caliper style, it will likely make some noise when detaching from the loop.

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know a lot about all the different releases out there, but I have been using a tru fire hardcore for a few years now. It is pretty spendy, but it is way nicer than what I have used in the past. The hook style I wasn't to sure about at first (just seemed more likely to slip off than the clamp style) but it has worked very well and it is easier to get on the string without looking. My favorite thing about the release is the trigger. It is more like a trigger that you would find on a gun and not just a piece of metal like some others I looked at. It has a sweet break too.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Thanks guys. Which releases are the top of the line? I will be using it for probably another 20 years, so I don't mind paying for it if it's nice and not totally ridiculous in price.

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same idea when I bought mine. After handling a few different ones at the local stores, the tru fire seemed like the nicest one to me. Just my opinion but no real knowledge to back it up, so take it for what it is worth.

Lawnboi

WKR
For a wrist release I like the spot Hogg wise guy.

It's got a hook for fast silent loading, with the buckle I can fold it out of the way, and it has a good, though light tigger.

TheTone

WKR
I've had very good luck with a Carter Two shot for the past 12 years or so. I've been considering going to a Carter Like Mike due to it being a hook style and maybe a little easier and quicker to get on the string

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I am a wise guy archer. I am sold on the hook releases and cant shoot anything else. Im just to used to them.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
So I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Carter Like Mike, Spot Hogg Wiseguy, and the Tru-fire Hardcore Max. I like the double sear of the Like Mike. I played with the carter chocolate thumb trigger release with a double sear and it was amazing - I'm hoping that the Like Mike is similar. The only thing I'm not crazy about with the Like Mike is that it doesn't have a fixed bar going from the wrist strap to the release head. I don't like how the release head just flops around. I feel like it's harder to grab when you need it for a quick shot and it just bounces around and will probably bang off of things. Any remedy or thoughts on this? I'd almost like to fasten a piece of Velcro to the head and wrist strap, so you could lock it in place out of the way.

How is the trigger on the wiseguy compared to the Like Mike? I heard that it is really light.

I like the idea of how the Hardcore has that pivoting arm. It seems to make sense that the pivot would lessen the possibility of inducing lateral forces into the string. I did get my hands on a few of them and some of them seemed really grainy in their movement, while others moved pretty nicely. If I go this route, I think I just need to watch which one I pickup.

Thanks for any help!

TheTone

WKR
My current carter has a similar attachment to the like mike, it has maybe banged into things a couple of times for me but hasn't ever been a real issue. I usually have my release head in my hand so its not just swinging around freely. Also the strap attachment should give you that movement you like in the hardcore.

I've not been crazy about the light trigger on the spot hogg. I've also seen a few hunting videos where guys seemed to have them go off without touching the trigger resulting in some wild misses at the worst possible time.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I've not been crazy about the light trigger on the spot hogg. I've also seen a few hunting videos where guys seemed to have them go off without touching the trigger resulting in some wild misses at the worst possible time.

You could probably adjust the tension on it so it's not a hair trigger, not?

The Scott Itty Bitty Goose (caliper style wrist strap release) allows the release head to fold back entirely under the attachment plate. Then flip the strap over so the head portion is on top of your wrist like a watch..........this allows you to wear the release, not have it banging on anything, etc. I've had my original for about 9 years and wore out one strap, but the head is going strong and Scott sells new straps. Good luck!

warrior80

WKR
I picked up the new Scott Echo release this year. With the limited use I've had with it, I really like it. It has an elastic strap that you can tuck the head into so it doesn't flop around. I have a Tru-fire Edge and the last couple years I've used a Hot Shot hand held thumb release. Going back to the wrist release now and I think the Echo is going to be great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk