SB Broadhead/Fletch type

Tag_Soup

WKR
I am considering switching to single bevel 2 blade heads (cutthroats). I am looking at 60 grain inserts and the 150's. Total arrow weight should be around 520-540 grains at 28". Bow is 72 lbs at 29". I am hoping someone with experience shooting single bevels with a similar setup can let me know where I should start with respect to fletching my arrows. I am leaning toward 3 vane helical using AAE max stealth 2.6" vanes, but don't know if this will be enough to stabilize or if helical is overkill? Just some general advice or "this is what works for me" would be extremely helpful.

Cheers!
-Travis

Fire_9

WKR
I've shot single bevels with blazers and 3" fusions both fletched right helical to match the bevel. Both setups shot awesome. I was really surprised at how well those big broadheads flew. Only issues I've had with getting them to shoot have been underspined arrows

OP
Tag_Soup

Tag_Soup

WKR
That was my assumption...helical to match blade bevel direction and test it. I will be jumping up at least one spine "class" from my current setup if I go with these. I will probably work with a manufacturer to get that part right though.

Thanks!

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
I am shooting Cutthroat 150g right bevel, Axis 340 @ 27", 50g brass HIT insert, wraps, and 4 Q2i Duravane-II 3" w/ about 3* right offset, total arrow weight is 525g. I am getting really good fight and groups out to 70yd (as far as I can shoot on my range). I tried three fletch as well but found for me that the 4 fletch grouped a bit better, not tons better but a bit. I would have also tried right helical if I had a helical jig but do not. I tried the AAE max stealth as well (both 3 & 4 fletch) but I can't seem to get them to stick well; even bought all their arrow and vane prep stuff, their glue, and followed their directions to a T, was able to get decent initial adhesion but would inevitably have a vane or two come loose after a few days of shooting. The AAEs flew and grouped well with the Cutthroats. Funny thing is I have no issues with the Duravanes or Vanetec vanes. All that being said, you should be good with helical 3 fletch with those broadheads, they fly great.

OP
Tag_Soup

Tag_Soup

WKR
Thanks NHRedleg! Thats great info. It seems I have seen a few places where people were having issues with adhesion on easton shafts when using the AAE vanes...I don't know if this could be due to the finish on the shaft or the surface of the vane? Do you recall if it appeared that the adhesive was left on the vane or left on the shaft?

I haven't purchased a helical jig yet, but was going to with the assumption that it would be required to stabilize the heavy SB type broadheads. Hearing that you are able to achieve good groups with a 4 fletch offset is encouraging! I will be right on the edge of the spine chart for 300/250's so that may influence my decision as well.

Thanks for the insight

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
Seams like mostly left on vane, but I am using a wrap, either the Easton shrink wrap or NAP quick wrap on my practice arrows and not gluing directly to shaft. On hunting arrows I use a stick on wrap (NH requires our name and address on hunting arrows so I get some custom wraps with that info for hunting). I do prep both types of wraps with a ruff up with green pad and acetone wipe. Had same issues with AAE Hunter vanes too. I too am kind of between spine (340 or 300, 60# 28.5" draw, 27" carbon to carbon arrow, shooting the 340 no problem), the 4 fletch stiffens the arrow a bit with the little extra weight to the rear of arrow. Also on my scale my 6 Cutthroats come in at 151 to 156 grains; but they all spin true and fly great.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Fire_9

WKR
I was shooting victory vap 350's to start and had terrible arrow flight. From there went to a 250 spine and had great arrow flight. This was with a 160 gr head and 90 gr insert

OP
Tag_Soup

Tag_Soup

WKR
Fire_9, whats your setup? i.e. draw length and poundage? Hard to quantify spine until I know shaft length and draw weight...

I don't think I will need to go all the way to the 250's, I may get 6 bare shafts of each and tune with 150 gr points up front to see what they do...TBD. It's all hypothetical until I buy the bow I will be using for them, as my current one will stay set up as is throughout this season.

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
I'm shooting 200gr Helix right hand bevel on Carbon Express maxima blue streaks with 3, 3" offset vanes, fletched in an Arizona EZ Fletch.
I had some grouping issues then I indexed all my broadheads so that they are perpendicular to my vertical vane. Now they are grouping about 4" at 70yds.

Thanks NHRedleg! Thats great info. It seems I have seen a few places where people were having issues with adhesion on easton shafts when using the AAE vanes...I don't know if this could be due to the finish on the shaft or the surface of the vane? Do you recall if it appeared that the adhesive was left on the vane or left on the shaft?

I haven't purchased a helical jig yet, but was going to with the assumption that it would be required to stabilize the heavy SB type broadheads. Hearing that you are able to achieve good groups with a 4 fletch offset is encouraging! I will be right on the edge of the spine chart for 300/250's so that may influence my decision as well.

Thanks for the insight

I had adhesion issues with these vanes on my Black Eagle X Impact shafts as well. They just wont stay on more than a few shots
Sad cause I really like them. I will be looking at Blazer Heat 4 fletch for my 20% FOC set ups

Jmock97

Lil-Rokslider
I'm shooting 300 spine black eagle outlaws cut at 29" with 42 grain inserts and 200 grain cutthroats right bevel with 3 aae max stealth vanes one degree offset out of a Hoyt carbon spyder 29 draw 58lb have had no flight problems
Have not had problems with vanes sticking I use a wrap and prep with the primer pen and use the aae max bond glue