Airline Travel with 2 bows and gear

Redstag20

FNG
How have people flown with 2 bows and hunting gear? I have a nice SKB case but it will only fit 1 bow. I'm just trying to avoid spending $400 on something like the Sitka Nomad.

Ok. So I found the best way ever b4 my moose hunt.

Bow one in your skb case and half of your arrows/broadheads and one set of camo.

Second bow. There are a few things you need.
Get one of the biggest kifaru duffle bags and also get a bow box like they ship from the factory with. Take everything off the bow except your rest and Wrap your cams and put your bow in the box. The box will fit perfect in the bottom of the kifaru duffle bag. Then you can put your other arrows in a arrow tube and your other clothes in the duffle.

It worked perfect last time to BC. I carried my sights in my carry on for the back up bow and just didn't bring a stabilizer for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
I use a double bow SKB for one bow, some arrows, and some gear. Then I have a Badlands Terraglide clone that i put another bow, some arrows, and some gear in. I either wear my boots or put them in my carryon along w/ optics, releases, and raingear so I still should be good to go if 1 bag gets lost.

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
I just did this, worked perfect but I did have to buy the nomad. Black Ovis honored the rockslide 10 percent code.

SKB roller with one of everything inside. Then the Nomad with one of everything and the balance of gear. Delta and West Jet did NOT charge oversize. Both bags were under 50 lbs.

I like Jtelarkin08 s suggestion above, If I did not travel regularly to hunt I would consider his technique. That is the same basic technique I used years ago.

Beendare

WKR
I use a double bow SKB for one bow, some arrows, and some gear. Then I have a Badlands Terraglide clone that i put another bow, some arrows, and some gear in. I either wear my boots or put them in my carryon along w/ optics, releases, and raingear so I still should be good to go if 1 bag gets lost.

Good strategy^^^

I do something similar but use the Sitka Nomad [off season $280] and a big rolling duffle....The light bag is a huge advantage [the Nomad is 10.5#] which lets you take more gear and stay under the 50# airline limit. I pack my compound in the bottom of the nomad in a $20 soft case....works slick.

The airlines screwed us with a 50# limit...the light hard bottom rolling duffles are the way to go.

bates

WKR
Also look at the tuff pak (spelling) it will hold 2 bows and gear

But cost you money to buy

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
Good strategy^^^

I do something similar but use the Sitka Nomad [off season $280] and a big rolling duffle....The light bag is a huge advantage [the Nomad is 10.5#] which lets you take more gear and stay under the 50# airline limit. I pack my compound in the bottom of the nomad in a $20 soft case....works slick.

The airlines screwed us with a 50# limit...the light hard bottom rolling duffles are the way to go.

No doubt on the 50 lbs rule. I have not weighed one but my guess is that the SKB is 20-25 lbs to start. Add a bow and some clothes for padding and you hit 49.9 lbs Fast!

I bought the Nomad based on your of your previous comments THANKS!

OP
R

Redstag20

FNG
I just bought the Nomad from Black Ovis and already have the SKB. I should be ok on weight since I can put overflow stuff into my backpack and another small bag as my personal item. Thanks for all the help!

GotDraw?

WKR
Your thread and question are timely, as I am facing the same dilemma...

And since I can't heli-arc weld myself a cool looking aluminum case, I'm goin' country, cheap, strong and light on my solution--- I usually like pretty, but in this case pretty does not matter.

I'm getting a cardboard box-bow from my local bow shop that will just fit my bow and I'm going to fiberglass the box and the lid inside and outside. I will also lay an extra layer or two in the corners so they won't crush. I am only packing one bow, but see no reason this won't work for two bow boxes.

My thought process is that surfboards are very strong and they are just made of fiberglass over rigid foam. Cardboard can absolutely be used to fiberglass over, I will put fabric tape or Gorilla tape over the hinge area to strengthen it and not 'glass that portion of the box. I will also glass in spacers of cut off 2''x4"s inside the box so the lid or bottom can't crush down on the bow. I will not worry about making the box lockable, I'll just tape it shut with nylon strapping tape. Am not worried about it popping open.

Once the box is made, I am going to stow it in the bottom of my rectangular gear duffle (as suggested by other posters to this thread), then throw a bunch of clothes on top and check the bag. I figure the bow box will weigh under 10 lbs once it's made, bow weighs about 5lbs, duffle only weighs a couple pounds- so that means I can put another 30+lbs of gear in the duffel on top of the bow box. Stabilizer and sight will go in my carry on. I think my rest can stay on the bow.

Anyhow, I spoke with a buddy who works with fiberglass all the time, he offered once key piece of advice: use a resin that contains wax because it will dry hard and slick, do NOT use laminating resin because resin with stay sticky for too long before it totally sets up. Once the resin is set up, he said to hit it with an orbital sander w/220 grit to knock the nibs down and then I'll be good to go.

Wish me luck!

JL

Last edited:

boom

WKR
Your thread and question are timely, as I am facing the same dilemma...

And since I can't heli-arc weld myself a cool looking aluminum case, I'm goin' country, cheap, strong and light on my solution--- I usually like pretty, but in this case pretty does not matter.

I'm getting a cardboard box-bow from my local bow shop that will just fit my bow and I'm going to fiberglass the box and the lid inside and outside. I will also lay an extra layer or two in the corners so they won't crush. I am only packing one bow, but see no reason this won't work for two bow boxes.

My thought process is that surfboards are very strong and they are just made of fiberglass over rigid foam. Cardboard can absolutely be used to fiberglass over, I will put fabric tape or Gorilla tape over the hinge area to strengthen it and not 'glass that portion of the box. I will also glass in spacers of cut off 2''x4"s inside the box so the lid or bottom can't crush down on the bow. I will not worry about making the box lockable, I'll just tape it shut with nylon strapping tape. Am not worried about it popping open.

Once the box is made, I am going to stow it in the bottom of my rectangular gear duffle (as suggested by other posters to this thread), then throw a bunch of clothes on top and check the bag. I figure the bow box will weigh under 10 lbs once it's made, bow weighs about 5lbs, duffle only weighs a couple pounds- so that means I can put another 30+lbs of gear in the duffel on top of the bow box. Stabilizer and sight will go in my carry on. I think my rest can stay on the bow.

Anyhow, I spoke with a buddy who works with fiberglass all the time, he offered once key piece of advice: use a resin that contains wax because it will dry hard and slick, do NOT use laminating resin because resin with stay sticky for too long before it totally sets up. Once the resin is set up, he said to hit it with an orbital sander w/220 grit to knock the nibs down and then I'll be good to go.

Wish me luck!

JL

i cant weld or work fiberglass. good luck.

but you should get some hard foam blocks cut to length to act as "bulkheads" inside that box. unlike a surfboard that box will be hollow and subject to crushing in the flat direction. good luck!! i think it will work!!

i have the SKB double and it will only fit one fully outfitted bow. it would fit two bare bows, i'm sure. big help that would be. i dont even own a backup bow. :(