Release

Benjblt

WKR
I realize this is an open ended request but would you all give me your two sense on the best release for $100 or under? I'm not looking for a back tentioned release. I'm looking for ideas. I know it all comes down to personal fit and preference but it'd be nice to hear what you all are using. Thanks!

hwy1strat

WKR
Access Denied

Bass pro gets these releases from Scott and they put their Blackout Logo on it. I have used this release and liked it a lot. It is now my backup but it still works flawlessly after 3 years and thousands of arrows shot.

Btaylor

WKR
I am shooting a fletch hunter that I bought new in the late 80's. I have shot several different releases under $100 and this one is by far my favorite. I did put it on a Scott buckle wrist strap as it had a funky wrist strap originally.

kcm2

WKR
I'm really liking the Spot Hogg Keeton. And it's $99, right in your price range.

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Regardless of the release, one thing I have appreciated is the ability to move the release out of the way by folding it back. Digging in your pack or doing anything for that matter is easier.

I have been shooting a Spot Hog Wise Guy and have liked it for the release, and the fact it folds back out of the way.

Brendan

WKR
Get a release with an adjustable length (webbing attachment) for less torque and so you can customize the fit, and because it makes it easy to tuck out of the way.

Get a release with an adjustable trigger travel and adjustable trigger tension so you can set it for the best feel for you (Zero travel, tension not too light). You want to be able to rest your finger on the trigger and start to pull without worrying about a hair trigger going off.

I like the Carter RX1 and Hamskea Drop-Tine, but you may need to shop used on the AT classified at that price.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Get a release with an adjustable length (webbing attachment) for less torque and so you can customize the fit, and because it makes it easy to tuck out of the way.

Get a release with an adjustable trigger travel and adjustable trigger tension so you can set it for the best feel for you (Zero travel, tension not too light). You want to be able to rest your finger on the trigger and start to pull without worrying about a hair trigger going off.

I like the Carter RX1 and Hamskea Drop-Tine, but you may need to shop used on the AT classified at that price.

Thanks a lot. Those are some good things to think about. My brother-in-law was just told to rest his trigger finger on the trigger without worrying about it going off so it seems like this technique of shooting is important. I feel like I need to visit a bow shop so I can have someone there go through the releases.

Brendan

WKR
Thanks a lot. Those are some good things to think about. My brother-in-law was just told to rest his trigger finger on the trigger without worrying about it going off so it seems like this technique of shooting is important. I feel like I need to visit a bow shop so I can have someone there go through the releases.

The reason for that is if you have a trigger too light that goes off as soon as you touch it, it's very easy to get a case of target panic and just punch the hell out of it... Same thing with a trigger that starts to creep forward without going off. Much easier to be more "deliberate" about your shot with a heavier trigger with no travel.

With one that's adjustable - you can figure out what works best for you without buying another release.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
The reason for that is if you have a trigger too light that goes off as soon as you touch it, it's very easy to get a case of target panic and just punch the hell out of it... Same thing with a trigger that starts to creep forward without going off. Much easier to be more "deliberate" about your shot with a heavier trigger with no travel.

With one that's adjustable - you can figure out what works best for you without buying another release.

I think that might be my problem when I do have bad shot now. . There's way too much travel with my current trigger. Too much time to pull off the target just a little.

elkyinzer

WKR
I certainly haven't tried everything on the market but I have tried a few and this is the only one I will ever shoot:

C-10 Bow Hunting Release - Winn Archery's Free Flight C10 Archery Releases

I cannot stand wrist-strap releases. This one distributes the weight of the bow to your hand. That said it's not for everyone. It doesn't move out of the way, you certainly aren't going wrastle a pig with one on, but I can climb mountains, hold my bow, and do just about any normal hunting activity while wearing it.

Try and find a Carter like mike used. they can be had for less than $100 on the AT forum. I love mine. Zero travel, adjustable length of head and trigger can be set at varying poundage.

Best trigger release I have had. Pricey new, but well worth it.

kda082

WKR
Carters are good, my fav wrist is the Spot Hogg Wiseguy nylon connector. Great trigger.

GA Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Carters. I have a Quickie II and a RX-II. The Quickie II i have had for years and it is just as good as the day i bought it. Very nice being able to adjust it the way you like it.

TraskI

Lil-Rokslider
I also shoot a Fletch Hunter. Like it a lot. I like the trigger is on a strap so I can tuck it under the wrist band while digging in my pack, or hold it between my fingers while getting an arrow out of my quiver. Helps to eliminate unwanted noise caused by a solid shaft hitting the arrow durring loading. Been using it for 5 years with no problem, and I shoot quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
As already stated, spend a little more and get a Carter or get one used on AT. The Like Mike is a great release.

Shot a hand held for the past two years and have switched back to a wrist. Currently shooting a Scott Rino. Sportsman's Warehouse carries these still for right at $100.