Observation; Helix and Iron Will

Mmcan

WKR
Was finally able to get to a longer range that allows broad heads so I could shoot the Strickland Helix and the Iron Will. Both 125 gr.

Both heads flew very well to 60yds (longest I shot). I was impressed with both for accuracy. I was also impressed with the subtle/not-so-subtle hiss of the Iron Will. Whereas the Helix was dead quiet, I could easily hear the IW in flight. I can imagine that that would be unpopular with the animals I'm hunting.

Anyone else with this observation. Has it impacted your hunting?

FlyGuy

WKR
It's the air spaces. Any BH with those will make a hiss. My German Kenetics do the same. As fast as compounds are these days I don't know that it would make a difference at 40 yards or less, but past that it could.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

texag10

WKR
It's the air spaces. Any BH with those will make a hiss. My German Kenetics do the same. As fast as compounds are these days I don't know that it would make a difference at 40 yards or less, but past that it could.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Having a whitetail duck an arrow at 30 has made me look for every advantage possible. I think one of the owners of Iron Will said they are looking into reducing the noise.

Beendare

WKR
IMO, its the noise from your bow going off that spooks animals. I've shot my share of critters with stickbows and many makes of compounds and bow noise is a factor. You will never get a "Fast Arrow" to outrun the speed of sound [1126fps] on a 30yd+ animal. I shot an Oneida for many years.....the loud slap from that bow was a game spooking machine. My current compound has a thump.....but its not the loud unnatural sound of a speed bow shooting a light arrow.

Of course there are other factors too. Did you grunt to the deer to make them stop and come to full alert? Did they make you? Personally, I think arrow noise is way down the scale of what spooks animals besides squirrels and such that are keyed to flying predators.

Its a bit counter intuitive as you lose a tiny bit of trajectory but what I've found over the many decades is a heavy arrow that quiets your bow can make all the difference in actual shot placement.

OP
M

Mmcan

WKR
IMO, its the noise from your bow going off that spooks animals. I've shot my share of critters with stickbows and many makes of compounds and bow noise is a factor. You will never get a "Fast Arrow" to outrun the speed of sound [1126fps] on a 30yd+ animal. I shot an Oneida for many years.....the loud slap from that bow was a game spooking machine. My current compound has a thump.....but its not the loud unnatural sound of a speed bow shooting a light arrow.

Of course there are other factors too. Did you grunt to the deer to make them stop and come to full alert? Did they make you? Personally, I think arrow noise is way down the scale of what spooks animals besides squirrels and such that are keyed to flying predators.

Its a bit counter intuitive as you lose a tiny bit of trajectory but what I've found over the many decades is a heavy arrow that quiets your bow can make all the difference in actual shot placement.

This isn't arrow or bow noise. I even swapped the heads and shot it from different bows to be sure. It's noise from the broad head and it's noticeable. I hope they can tweak the broad head design a bit to diminish it. I agree that the spaces in the head are the probable source of the hiss, but I didn't notice it to the same degree shooting Solids, even with the larger bleeders.

The Helix is just so quiet. It has also performed well on the animals I've taken with it.
But damn, that Iron Will is a very cool broadhead and I like the metallurgy behind it. .

And I shoot a 500 gr arrow. Not a Grizzly Stick. But it's stout enough to absorb the energy of the bow and quiet it down. And the bow is pretty dang quiet to begin with.

OP
M

Mmcan

WKR
Having a whitetail duck an arrow at 30 has made me look for every advantage possible. I think one of the owners of Iron Will said they are looking into reducing the noise.

I wonder if they just closed the slots on a 100gr and make it weigh 125gr? That would be great! I like the way they fly and they are stout.

GotDraw?

WKR
I also own both Strickland Helix and Iron Will broadheads, I've shot both, listened to both and compared edge quality/conformation side by side.

I hear the OP's concern RE broadhead noise.

It is my strong belief that it's the startling slap or thump of bow noise that might spook or jump some animals, not the growing hiss of an arrow approaching.

My sense regarding broadhead noise is that animals are down-range... and by the time they actually discern the hiss of arrow coming at them it will be the last thing they hear.

That said, I really liked the theory behind the Helix and I wanted to like them. However, after I got them I was just not enamored of the shape nor sharpness of their edge nor their tip configuration. The Helix single-bevel edge angle is so steep that I believe they will not achieve an edge sharpness anywhere near as sharp as the Iron Will and I also found the Helix's single bevel tanto point extremely difficult to sharpen to anything resembling a serious edge/point (and I have years of experience hand sharpening countless chisels to mirror edge on japanese waterstones).

My conclusion was that Helix is quieter, but Iron Will is far sharper at the tip and far sharper at the blade edge. Also, given the materials used that Iron Will's hardened stainless and titanium ferrules are stronger and those determinations tipped the scale strongly in Iron Will's favor.

I've got six 125 grain Strickland Helix I'll sell to anyone that wants them for half price. 5 are brand new. [**STRICKLANDS HAVE BEEN SOLD**]

JL

Last edited:

GotDraw?

WKR
BTW- Poster "Mmcan"'s thought process of using the titanium ferrule from the 100grain Iron Will's in conjunction with an non-slotted blade is interesting. Not sure if it would end up at 125 grain or not. Right now Iron Will changes broadhead weight by using titanium ferrules for their 100 grain broadheads and heavier, hardened stainless for their 125 grain broadheads.

Question is-- does the weight differential of the slotted area exceeds 25 grains, and if so, can the ferrule be designed to offset it?

In the end, I still think by the time an animal actually discerns the sound a hiss coming at it, it's way too late.

JL

MattB

WKR
This isn't arrow or bow noise. I even swapped the heads and shot it from different bows to be sure. It's noise from the broad head and it's noticeable. I hope they can tweak the broad head design a bit to diminish it. I agree that the spaces in the head are the probable source of the hiss, but I didn't notice it to the same degree shooting Solids, even with the larger bleeders.

The Helix is just so quiet. It has also performed well on the animals I've taken with it.
But damn, that Iron Will is a very cool broadhead and I like the metallurgy behind it. .

And I shoot a 500 gr arrow. Not a Grizzly Stick. But it's stout enough to absorb the energy of the bow and quiet it down. And the bow is pretty dang quiet to begin with.

How many animals have jumped your string with Iron Wills? If the answer is 0, I am going to suggest you are over thinking this.

OP
M

Mmcan

WKR
How many animals have jumped your string with Iron Wills? If the answer is 0, I am going to suggest you are over thinking this.

I haven't hunted with the IW. Took the helix on my elk hunt, ended up needing shoulder surgery a few of weeks later, so I just now went to the range again this week. Feels so good to be shooting again. Leave for CO in about 3 weeks. Time to practice!!!

Brianb3

WKR
I also own both Strickland Helix and Iron Will broadheads, I've shot both, listened to both and compared edge quality/conformation side by side.

I hear the OP's concern RE broadhead noise.

It is my strong belief that it's the startling slap or thump of bow noise that might spook or jump some animals, not the growing hiss of an arrow approaching.

My sense regarding broadhead noise is that animals are down-range... and by the time they actually discern the hiss of arrow coming at them it will be the last thing they hear.

That said, I really liked the theory behind the Helix and I wanted to like them. However, after I got them I was just not enamored of the shape nor sharpness of their edge nor their tip configuration. The Helix single-bevel edge angle is so steep that I believe they will not achieve an edge sharpness anywhere near as sharp as the Iron Will and I also found the Helix's single bevel tanto point extremely difficult to sharpen to anything resembling a serious edge/point (and I have years of experience hand sharpening countless chisels to mirror edge on japanese waterstones).

My conclusion was that Helix is quieter, but Iron Will is far sharper at the tip and far sharper at the blade edge. Also, given the materials used that Iron Will's hardened stainless and titanium ferrules are stronger and those determinations tipped the scale strongly in Iron Will's favor.

I've got six 125 grain Strickland Helix I'll sell to anyone that wants them for half price. 5 are brand new.

JL

Message me on the Strickland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bat-cave

WKR
FWIW, I shot a buck at ~14 yards with an Iron Will last season. Coming out of a very fast, but not overly quiet bow (301 fps). The buck on high alert and the video showed a clear as day ~8" drop at the shot. Point being, it wasn't Broadhead noise that spooked him ... bow noise is a far greater concern - IMHO

Last edited:
All the deer, elk that ducked the strings on me heard the bow, not the arrow, or saw movement as I shot. I am not arguing they don't hear the arrows and then duck, but all projectiles will make a sound and if that animal is on high alert or not busy grazing it will likely move some what.

I had a mature buck 2 yrs ago in AZ facing away from me , eating, I felt was in perfect place so I let the arrow go. I did all I knew to do, in letting the deer settle into his evening grazing, feeling comfy out there, and waited til he turned slightly away from me as to not see any movement from me.
60 yards and he ducked and spun so bad I hit him shoulder blade high and front. My bow/arrow was 320 fps. He didn't hear the arrow, he heard the bow. He didn't get to 180" by accident, he was very wise. I have never shot that speed set up again. I felt stealth from me and bow along with penetration was a better % of success that light weight speed. Just my opinion- yours and others can vary.

They def make enough hiss in flight to make a bull elk drop 18"+ at 70 yards....
I should have trusted my gut when I noticed the noise on the range, but they flew so well.