Gearing up for a western 2018 hunt

In hopes this topic has not been covered time and again, and my most humble apologies if it indeed has.

Ive tried searching the topics and what I have found pertains mostly to lower poundage bows.

so here goes.

I’m a very small framed hunter with a short draw length and the arrows to match, currently I am shooting a 60# Elite Impulse with a 26” draw, 25” arrows (GT hunter xt400s @ 8.2gpi), and a 100gr Magnus stinger. So total I think thats around 330grains.

Today I added a 100gr insert bringing me up to around 430gr. KE is around 57# if the gt calculator is correct.

Things seem to fly just fine at 40yds, I have not been able to push the distance so things may change with the 400 spine.

But the meat and potatoes of this question is while I am confident when I draw the bow at a whitetail or a hog, am I still too light for elk (50yds or less)? would dropping to the 340s, adding the insert, and staying with the 100gr head give me any more advantage?

are there any shooters familiar with elk that pretty much have the same specs? may I ask what combo y’all shoot?

Thanks a ton for yalls time. Very much appreciated.

I guarantee that some will tell you to get the heaviest arrow you can shoot.

But what I'm going to tell you is if you're shooting a 430 gr arrow at 265 fps, you're good to go.

Beendare

WKR
My take: its all about knowing your setup

So when it comes to elk, yes the heavier arrow has advantages but if you know the capabilities of your setup and only take reasonable shots- you are fine with what you have now.

You didnt say which BH. As you probably know your BH choice is more critical with low energy setups on elk.

geriggs

WKR
I shoot 425-450 grain arrows at 260-270 at elk every year. Longest kill was 50 yards. Get plenty of penetration. I use a 2 blade COC or COC with bleeders. I have taken elk with mostly Silver Flames but last year took a bull with a TT ATAC....was only a 10 yard shot but full pass thru.

You've got plenty. My backup bow is my old Katera and it works fine on elk slinging 425gr arrows at 275 fps. I know one camp near me that has a number of hunters that have had success with bows at 40 pounds. The grandpa would by a new bow for each grandkid after their first elk, they were using the hand me down bow until then. All of the granddaughters had a new bow by the age of 13.

elkguide

WKR
Very comfortable with an arrow that is in the 400 grain neighborhood out of a 60# bow. Yes I would limit my shot to 40 yards, (but I do that anyway). I'm always a lot more concerned about being comfortable with my equipment and knowing where the arrow will land, if I do my part, than I am with all of the hoopla of KE, arrow speed, etc. A COC broadhead for me is very important.

The first 6X6 I killed was at 37 yards using my Martin Dynabo @ 68#'s with a 440 grain aluminum arrow at a blazing speed (for the day) of 220fps. Elk ran 75 yards.

Axlrod

WKR
Very comfortable with an arrow that is in the 400 grain neighborhood out of a 60# bow. Yes I would limit my shot to 40 yards, (but I do that anyway). I'm always a lot more concerned about being comfortable with my equipment and knowing where the arrow will land, if I do my part, than I am with all of the hoopla of KE, arrow speed, etc. A COC broadhead for me is very important.

The first 6X6 I killed was at 37 yards using my Martin Dynabo @ 68#'s with a 440 grain aluminum arrow at a blazing speed (for the day) of 220fps. Elk ran 75 yards.

Read this part again and if you follow it your equipment will not give you any trouble