One or Both Eyes Open, By Jimmy Tippetts

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Jimmy Tippetts (Slim Jim) knows his stuff when it comes to archery. This spring in bear camp I learned a lot while talking shooting techniques and gear with him. Along with his home state of Nevada, Slim Jim hunts, and competes in archery competitions all over the west. In his first (of hopefully many) Rokslide article, he talks about the benefits of shooting a bow with both eyes open. One or Both Eyes Open

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Btaylor

WKR
I shoot both open with recurve and one open with compound now. I was a reluctant hold out in making the switch to shooting a peep. When I switched from shooting a kisser to a peep I started shooting one open. With the kisser I shot both open. I have tried shooting both open with the peep but it is mentally distracting to my shot sequence. May give it another try after season.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Great article Slim! For those of you that don't know, Jim is a beast! Glad to have you on the Rokslide team!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Jimmy. Very good article. I'm a strong left-eye dominant/right handed shooter. My accuracy peaked about a decade ago and I know my left eye dominance has a lot to do with that. I wish I would've had the guts to switch to a left-handed bow when I was a young man, it would've been so much easier. I've known about this problem for a long time. Your article clarified it quite a bit more. Don't know if I'll ever have time to switch it over at this point in my life. But thanks for making me think Jimmy.

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Jimmy. Very good article. I'm a strong left-eye dominant/right handed shooter. My accuracy peaked about a decade ago and I know my left eye dominance has a lot to do with that. I wish I would've had the guts to switch to a left-handed bow when I was a young man, it would've been so much easier. I've known about this problem for a long time. Your article clarified it quite a bit more. Don't know if I'll ever have time to switch it over at this point in my life. But thanks for making me think Jimmy.

I'm in the same boat as you, Robby. Jimmy, for max accuracy, do you think it would be important to switch to a left handed bow?

Thanks for a great article!

Slim Jim

WKR
I'm in the same boat as you, Robby. Jimmy, for max accuracy, do you think it would be important to switch to a left handed bow?

If you've been shooting for many years it'll probably be hard to make that switch unless you are ambidextrous (able to use both hands comfortably). If you have been shooting for a long time, I'd recommend half squinting or use of an eye patch. If you haven't been shooting a bow very long I recommend making the switch. I'm making the same transition for my youngest son right now as he is right handed / left eye dominant.

aron

WKR

I am strong left hand and right eye dominate. I was able to switch to shooting bow with my weak hand. Switching bow hands wasn't that bad. Start out with a lower draw weight. I have however caught myself hunting with the release strapped to the wrong wrist once or twice since switching.

Scottyboy

WKR
great article, thanks for the write up! i have always shot with one eye open, the last few days i have been trying both eyes open (years of bad habits are making the transition difficult) however the 'squinting' of my non-dominant eye seems to be a nice move to both eyes open..for me at least. i failed to grab some pictures yesterday, but my groups were noticeably better when i would squint and or both eyes open. at first i thought it was a fluke, but i shot 5 groups one eye closed and 5 groups either squinted and or both open and every time, the latter yielded better groups

while it might be too close to the season for my to change to this new style, i know with 100% certainty that during the off season this will be my new focus. thanks again!

Slim Jim

WKR
great article, thanks for the write up! i have always shot with one eye open, the last few days i have been trying both eyes open (years of bad habits are making the transition difficult) however the 'squinting' of my non-dominant eye seems to be a nice move to both eyes open..for me at least. i failed to grab some pictures yesterday, but my groups were noticeably better when i would squint and or both eyes open. at first i thought it was a fluke, but i shot 5 groups one eye closed and 5 groups either squinted and or both open and every time, the latter yielded better groups

while it might be too close to the season for my to change to this new style, i know with 100% certainty that during the off season this will be my new focus. thanks again!
Just seeing this now as I was in ID chasing elk. Great to hear your shooting has improved . I'm glad this article helped you, keep at it brother! Practice makes better.

brownbear

FNG
Just got around to reading this article. Nicely done. My meager opinion is that one should do what works for them. I shoot both eyes open with the recurve and longbow, as I focus on my target. When I'm shooting iron sights, I'm a squinter or even fully closed. Perhaps I'm far sighted, as I do have a harder time seeing/focusing on the rifle sights (even crosshair center) at times, and one eye helps me focus much more. I'm still working on both eyes open, but for now, one eye works better.

Slim Jim

WKR
Thanks brownbear, I’m glad you liked it. I agree that everyone should do what works for them. It’s like a pair of boots, what works for one person may not work for another. But for myself both eyes open has improved my shooting quite a bit.

flyfshrmn

FNG
True Instinctive shooters just about have to have both eyes open. If you use sights and a release, I think one eye is better. Both eyes gives you depth perception and a true optical assessment of distance. All academic for me, because I have crossed hand eye dominance, and my dominant eye has poor vision. I have to shoot one eyed and it doesn't impair my shooting in any measurable manner.

RAS

FNG
attachment.php

Jimmy Tippetts (Slim Jim) knows his stuff when it comes to archery. This spring in bear camp I learned a lot while talking shooting techniques and gear with him. Along with his home state of Nevada, Slim Jim hunts, and competes in archery competitions all over the west. In his first (of hopefully many) Rokslide article, he talks about the benefits of shooting a bow with both eyes open. One or Both Eyes Open

attachment.php
Definitely haven't read it explained as well as this. My understanding is a good goal, is to have a floating pin. And one aspect of that is focusing on your target, not your pin. Is this without using a peep, with using one, or doesn't matter?