Paraframe broadhead noise

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Varies brand to brand, but seems all paraframe style broadheads generate some wind noise. Curious if anybody is an audio physicist or something like that and knows if sound waves from these broadheads in flight project forward, or only to sides/backwards?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
I think it must project forward. I've stood behind a shed that is behind a target and you can hear them coming.

Lawnboi

WKR
Not just broadheads, but vanes. Even more noticeable standing on the other side of a half wall in on an indoor range. Some sound like rocket ships and rival the noise made by the bow.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I recently completed sound testing with very sophisticated equipment and an engineering expert in the field. I plan to publish the results once all the data is analyzed, but I can give you my initial assessment. Some broadheads and vanes are louder than others and in general vents in the blades do increase the sound. However, at the location of the animal, the noise level was the nearly same for all broadheads, fletchings, and field points until about .01 seconds before impact. In other words, they don't hear the increased noise from blades or vanes until the arrow is about 1 yard away, so it's too late to react. For a 30 yard shot with a bow speed of 300 fps for instance, it takes the arrow 0.3 seconds to get to the animal. The sound of the bow gets to the animal in about 0.1 seconds, so they do have about 0.2 seconds to react to the sound of the bow. After hearing the sound of the bow, the arrow noise is quite low at the location of the animal until just before impact. I plan to show overlaid sound intensity plots to support this conclusion under the Iron Will Outfitter's thread once completed.