Choose Best Hunting Release

Wanted to get opinions on the best hunting release. Does it matter is you use a string loop or not? I currently use a Tru Fire Hardcore. I don't have any issues with the release other than the part that goes acroos your palm, makes it difficult to do anything with the release on.

I haven't hunted with my new Carter Wise Choice yet, but having a handheld thumb trigger has done wonders for my accuracy. I can leave it clipped on to the string and have my hand free to use my rangefinder. The theory is solid, and I will have a couple years before it gets put to practice to perfect. If you want to have an unobstructed hand, a handheld release clipped to a d loop is hard to beat.

bat-cave

WKR
While I really like a Thumb activated release overall, I've not been a fan of them for Elk season. The reason for me is that I end up spending plenty of time working dark timber or otherwise not on and animal, but needing to be in a position to respond quickly. I'm always worried about having my release come off the D loop moving through brush/timber etc ... I do however really like having the release clipped to my D loop when hunting from a tree stand.

I split the difference this season after being fortunate enough to win a Stans PerfecX (thumb activated, but with a hook). It has a couple of holes that one can choose from to thread a piece of cord through and I attached it to a spare Scott replacement buckle strap from Amazon. Now I have a thumb activated release that's quick to get setup on the string and I'm not worried about losing my release. Worked well during Elk season this year. The only downside is that it does occasionally get in the way as do most when attached to the wrist. I found that I am able to tuck the release under the wrist strap to keep it out of the way and a quick flick of the wrist and it's at the ready.

FWIW

Scott Itty Bitty Goose........head folds back under the strap attachment leaving your hand totally free. I flip the head to the top of the wrist where it is further out of the way. I've shot one for about 15 years and wore one strap completely out, had to get a new one from Scott. Release still works great. Get the one with the flat nylon attachment strap so it indexes perfectly every time.. I had one with a cord attachment and it would be upside down half the time so never use it. Great hunting release.....and I'm a hunter not a target archer. Good luck!

The Spot Hogg Wise Guy is pretty similar to your Hardcore, look for the rigid version as you can fold the head of it back and it will stay back out of the way. It's my favorite for a wrist strap release, but I personally use a hinge release that has a safety. There's no correct answer with so much being based on personal preference.

jmez

WKR
If you are using a wrist strap you have to tuck it somewhere or just get used to it being in the way. If you tuck it away you are going to have to get it out so pros and cons to both. I've been shooting a Rhino XT for several years on the NCS. The nylon connection system is better for keeping it out of your way. Mine was pretty short so wasn't as big of an issue when I used solid connection releases.

I switched to the Stan Perfex this summer and that's what I'll be hunting with this year. Both are a hook so I've never clipped one on my string. With a little practice you can just slip them on the loop without looking. Mine is starting out my elk hunt in my RF pants pocket. If I don't like that I'll tie a paracord loop on it and tuck it in my shirt sleeve.