A newbie question with regard to arrow weight

vaeVictis

FNG
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to archery as a sport and for hunting, and I had some questions regarding arrow building/designing.

Currently shooting a 60lb Bowtech CPXL, draw length 30". Currently shooting some Easton Axis 5mm 300 spine that came with the bow, but I only have a few and I am pretty darn good at losing them! Got a good deal on some Black Eagle Spartans at 300 spine, planning on cutting them to 29" in length. My questions are as follows:

Should I go with adding the 75 grain brass inserts? With a 125 grain head, total arrow weight would be 515 grains.

If I don't use those, arrow weight is 440.

Which is better and why? Is it worth the trade off for kinetic energy vs momentum, or am I overthinking things completely?

Thanks!

2blade

WKR
According to Archers Advantage, if you cut those arrows to 29.5" and used the 75gr insert with 125gr head, it is perfectly spined. I find that correct spine is everything when it comes to accuracy and broadhead flight.

Beendare

WKR
Better? It depends on who you ask.

I like a heavier arrow for the addl performance on big elk size critters....and since I only shoot relatively short shots there are many advantages and no disadvantages. The one disadvantage to addl weight is a little more arc in trajectory. IME, it really only affects you on longer 50yd+ shots in relation to hunting. Guys shooting mule deer at longer ranges prefer a 400-440gr arrow rightfully so.

Many guys that use one setup for 3D and all around hunting like a middle of the raod arrow in the low 400 gr range...a good strategy.

There really is no right or wrong answer....and the type of hunting you do really dictates the "Better" part.

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to archery as a sport and for hunting, and I had some questions regarding arrow building/designing.

Currently shooting a 60lb Bowtech CPXL, draw length 30". Currently shooting some Easton Axis 5mm 300 spine that came with the bow, but I only have a few and I am pretty darn good at losing them! Got a good deal on some Black Eagle Spartans at 300 spine, planning on cutting them to 29" in length. My questions are as follows:

Should I go with adding the 75 grain brass inserts? With a 125 grain head, total arrow weight would be 515 grains.

If I don't use those, arrow weight is 440.

Which is better and why? Is it worth the trade off for kinetic energy vs momentum, or am I overthinking things completely?

Thanks!

Personally, I would use, the 75 grain Brass Insert and drop down to, a 100 Grain COC Broad Head ( G5 Strikers, WacEm's, VPA 3 blade Vented and "stropped", Shuttle T's, etc ) for a total weight of UNDER 500 grains for, a 60 pound Bow AND,.. NO Wrap, NO lighted Nock, and use LIGHT Vanes, like, VaneTec V Max, 3", AAE Stealth 3" or, any, 2" -3" Vane that, will, QUIETLY, "control" the Head ! Keeping the weight as far forward as, possible for, "Good Balanced" FOC ! Then,TEST shoot to 60-70 yards for, this ! My son shoots 510 grains at 68 lbs, I shoot, 457 grs At 54 Lbs,.. BOTH of us have about, 15% FOC and they, Penetrate very WELL and Fly,.. GREAT ! Remember, the Arrows we build are For use on, the Large Deer, Elk and Moose of, Idaho. Some will disagree,.. this is JMVHO but, we've done LOTS of testing, reading, studying, about, KE, Momentum, B-H's and Vane Tests, Noise, etc, Please let us know WHAT "worked" for you, Good Luck,.. Doug

According to Archers Advantage, if you cut those arrows to 29.5" and used the 75gr insert with 125gr head, it is perfectly spined. I find that correct spine is everything when it comes to accuracy and broadhead flight.

YUP,.. agree with 2blade !
Your spine needs, to be "GOOD" and usually, a stiffer spine, won't, hurt !
For my 54 lb, PSE DNA SP ( 342 ibo) i found the 400 spine was, too weak, went to 340 Gold Tip XT's,.. much better !
And with a 60 lb Bow, I personally, would keep the Arrow under, 500 gr's for a nicer, "Balanced",.. trajectory, IMO

Better? It depends on who you ask.

I like a heavier arrow for the addl performance on big elk size critters....and since I only shoot relatively short shots there are many advantages and no disadvantages. The one disadvantage to addl weight is a little more arc in trajectory. IME, it really only affects you on longer 50yd+ shots in relation to hunting. Guys shooting mule deer at longer ranges prefer a 400-440gr arrow rightfully so.

Many guys that use one setup for 3D and all around hunting like a middle of the raod arrow in the low 400 gr range...a good strategy.

There really is no right or wrong answer....and the type of hunting you do really dictates the "Better" part.

Like Beendare says ,.. At WHAT RANGE do you want, to shoot ? And,.. WHAT kind of, Game are you Hunting ? Build a tough, "Elk arrow" and "everything else" in, No Amer,..Dies ! I also forgot, to mention Exodus B-H's, ARE,.. Killers, too ! For some reason they weren't as, "Forgiving" for, MY "set up" and I had "flyers" ( they are, 1 1/4 " Dia. ) every other B-H, I mentioned in the other post,.. flew great, for ME ( Strikers, were the, BEST ! ) ! My "Elk Arrow", is designed for, MY Bow and for me to Hunt Elk, Calling and Spot / Stalk, in the So. Idaho, rolling Desert, Juniper Country that, we will be hunting, THIS year, SO I wanted at least, 60-70 yard,.. killing range and accuracy. Again good, luck !

OP
V

vaeVictis

FNG
Wow, thanks for the help guys!

I should mention that I'll be using these for 3-D shoots and hunting. Species would include deer, elk, and possibly antelope (In New Mexico, Colorado or Wyoming). I don't plan on taking hunting shots longer than 50 meters.