Back tension / hinge frustration - am I the only one who can't do it?

3forks

WKR
Just like the title states... I cannot shoot with back tension consistently.

Like most people, I started out shooting a trigger release... Being a perfectionist, it didn't shoot for too long before I got some coaching to make sure I didn't start to develop bad habits.

I progressed in my shooting and would get a tune up session periodically, but eventually plateaued. Back tension was the suggested solution to my issue and I got a couple more sessions from a different coach on shooting with both a hinge and a thumb release.

I shot at blank bales with my eyes closed to get the movement, but it was a struggle to consistently release the shot without me manipulating the release.

I have been practicing back tension and shooting with a hinge and had been determined to not go back to the trigger release until I had mastered back tension. However, I just cannot shoot the fricking thing consistently.

I know what it feels like when the arrow is released correctly, and I know I can do it, but the consistency isn't there.

On a whim, I shot my trigger release recently and could punch that trigger well enough to shoot groups at distances out to 100 yards better than I can with a hinge or thumb trigger.

What's really is irritating though is that after shooting the hinge, I can diagnose all the things I know is wrong about using a tigger release and punching it.

So, obviously I need more coaching and will pursue that, but thought I'd ask you guys if anyone has been through a situation like I described and has any suggestions for me.

Thanks in advance!

wapitibob

WKR
A hinge release can't fire without rotation, just like a button release can't fire without the button moving.
Get a hinge with a click, adjustable click preferred, and go from there. The beauty of a hinge is that hand position is always the same, not the case with a thumb button. There are a million ways to activate a hinge, watch griv's YouTube videos for starters.

WKR
Tried a tension activated release? Great training tool to eliminate command shooting.

Elc1973

FNG
Takes time to get consistent. The first 2 months were the hardest after that it's been a lot of fun shooting again it really got rid of the anxiety and frustration with the trigger release

OP

3forks

WKR
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

I'll read the Padgett articles and look into a tension activated release.

If you can consistently shoot groups at 100 yards I wouldn't be worried trying other releases.

Then again Tiger won the grand slam and decided he should change his swing.

How solid is the back wall of your bow? Some bows are much more conducive to BT/hinge releases than others. I find if the back wall is spongy you will have a hard time with a hinge. Also if you do not push through with your bow arm, especially if you shoot with a bent elbow, it can cause hinge issues.

-dan

A hinge is not the same as a true tension activated release. You could try a true back tension release and see what happens. Like has been said above, your back wall may also not be set correctly and therefore your tension is being negated.

Took me months of practicing and trying different ways of activating my release for the consistency to show up. They require dedication and acceptance of the fact your shooting is going to be absolute junk for a few months before you start seeing improvements.

Took me months of practicing and trying different ways of activating my release for the consistency to show up. They require dedication and acceptance of the fact your shooting is going to be absolute junk for a few months before you start seeing improvements.

Exactly as, theleo,.. SAID,..IMO !
IF, you want "control" of, the Release and to, NOT develop, "Target Panic", PLAN on mediocre shooting til',.. "mastering" the process !
Choose a GOOD Release that, "could " work for you ( try a few ). I ended up using, a Carter Quickie 2 with, the 2nd lightest Spring for, about a 2-3 pound "pull" which allowed ME to learn using, some LIGHT pressure, "Back Tension", for,.. Hunting, situations ! My son and grandson use, Carter, Like Mikes with 3-4 pounds of pressure !! I just "get by" ( minute of Angle type,. 3 " at 30, 5" at 50, etc. ) but they,.. are freakin' "Robin Hoods' ! BUT, it took TIME, to learn ! There should be, a "surprise" to the Release of, the Arrow and THAT takes, some getting used to !

A hinge is not the same as a true tension activated release. You could try a true back tension release and see what happens. Like has been said above, your back wall may also not be set correctly and therefore your tension is being negated.

YUP,.. I was shooting a 29 inch Pull and had, NO "room" for B-T as, the Bow wouldn't go off, unless I PULLED the Trigger ! ( it was Freakin' me out ) then went, to 28.5" setting of, my Module and Bingo !!!,.. I HAD some Back Tension "available" for, my Release ! What, Gerard said, is very, important, have your "Back Wall" adjusted correctly, to make "room" for the Tension that is, necessary for, a Release to "work" ! Good Luck and patient !

bwlacy

WKR
Correct draw length is very important to shoot a hinge with any consistency. If your bow has draw stop posts on it then you might have problems with that also as there is no room for movement to activate the release. The hinge needs rotation and shoulder blade movement and the draw stops prohibit that. If you had a coach already then you know the importance of a relaxed hand to allow the rotation.

Switching to anything new takes time. I think they say 3 months to build muscle memory. So your shooting will be bad and different until you get the muscle memory and things go up.

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
I really struggled going to the hinge at first. After a while it became more natural. Oddly enough I think at close range I can still shoot tighter groups with the trigger; however when it comes to shooting forty yards and out the hinge crushes the wrist rocket. I also killed my first game animal with it last weekend. A large whitetail buck ran in extremely close. The hinge did a great job of keeping me in the shot process. I remember settling my pin too high and then consciously thinking "float the pin on his heart, settle, puuuulllllll. From past mistakes I fear that with the wrist rocket I probably would've pulled the minute my pin hit fur!

bat-cave

WKR
3forks, I feel your pain. I have tried about every release it seems and it's very clear that the lowest common denominator is me ... I think I know where the problem lies! :)

I have tried a variety of hinge based releases and generally speaking it's best if I do so when the range is deserted (arrows might go in unplanned places) and no small children are around in case inappropriate language spews forth. :) I have found the best luck with the Truball Sweetspot II. For me the safety mechanism gives me more confidence in being able to let down if my visions of a perfectly executed shot do not come to pass ... or worse yet the frustration of desperately wanted the darn thing to go off and I had stand there looking quite foolish until i mange to somehow launch an arrow down range (hopefully hitting a bag/foam of some sort). I have yet to be patient enough to really spend a couple of months working on the technique ... I usually just want to go shoot when I get the chance and revert to my trusty thumb release.

I agree with some of the other suggestions to try a pressure activated release. I have a Carter and it works well. I will shoot it really well some days and then I'm a train wreck the next day and the inconsistency (all me) leads me back to a thumb release. Hopefully I can find the will power to dedicate myself to the Sweetspot once Whitetail season is over. Like you, I could shoot groups that are Elk/Deer accurate consistently enough that I tend to wimp out and drop the hinge back in the bag if that day isn't going to "plan". At any rate - you're not alone!