Broadhead choice for a CO Mountain Goat hunt?

I was fortunate enough to get a Mt Goat tag here in CO--YAY! I am so excited. Someone returned one and apparently I was next on the list.

The tag is for a Nanny. They average only about 120 pounds.

Given the super high terrain, often windy conditions, and small body, I would think a quality mech would be a good choice, kind of like for a Pronghorn.

However, I hear that their thick coats of long hair, which are extra thick in the later season I will be hunting (mid Oct), can be difficult for a broadhead to penetrate...especially if they get wet. That leans me toward one of my top fixed blades.

For those who have had experience in hunting Mt Goats, what is your recommendation?

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A big billy was taken with the Iron Will v125 recently. It resulted in a quick kill and the penetration through the off side shoulder was impressive.

Any normal head will work. Whatever you normally use, will work. Just keep in mind, big time winds up there so your arrow may not strike the goat straight on.

Their fur isn't that crazy coarse or thick, but mtn goats are probably the toughest North America animal. They are tough critters. Almost every one I've been apart of them took multiple shots with bow or gun.

The Ironwill head would be a great choice!

Last edited:
Grave Digger Hybrids. They're wildly efficient, fly great, and leave a ridiculous wound channel. They blew through all seven animals I shot with them this year. I'm a big fan of having a much bigger wound channel, that a regular fixed just can't provide. The mechanical efficiency of the auxiliary blades on these heads and the guarantee of the fixed blades made them a no brainer for me. Tried the Muzzy HB too, but the blade opening tabs on them hurt penetration badly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mine was down in seconds, 13 yd shot, double lung. Made it maybe 40 yds. I wouldn't over think it, and certainly wouldn't be paying for an over priced head to kill a goat.

Trial153

WKR
original rocket 125 steelhead

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

cooperjd

WKR
congrats on the tag!
i'd also think basically any head will work. i'd shoot my IW's if i had the tag.

listen to gritty bowmen podcast about their recent goat hunt. Snyder was shooting at a goat in an updraft situation, and his arrow didnt drop like it should. idk how in the world to practice that...

Congrats on drawing an awesome tag, let us know what you decide and take plenty of pics for us Western (at heart) bowhunters! I'm Iowa bound for the next couple of years and missing the mountains bad.

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
Goat 1 average sized Nannie: T3 55 yds passed through. BT Invasion 70 lbs 420 Grain arrow at 26.5"

Goat 2 Large Billy: 30 Yds Carni 4. arrow 1 Quartering no pass through. Arrow 2 broadhead passed through, the arrow did not. Reign 6 26.5" 70 Lbs 420 grain arrow. about 270 fps.

I like an expandable for the difficulty of the shots and conditions you will likely encounter.

Good Luck!

haole boy

FNG
Grizzystik silverflames are really good, expensive but top performers and quality. Bone crushers!

PresTex

Lil-Rokslider
If you're gonna spend the money on silver flames I'd buy them from German Kinectics instead of Alaska Bowhunting personally. I've got some of the older Alaska Bowhunting Silver Flames and they are junk compared to the real GK's. Alaska Bowhunting may have stepped them up recently but the broadheads I've bought from GK have been consistently impressive.

The GK's and the Iron Will's are my personal favorites. As well as VPA if you wanna save a little money. Tough as nails, affordable, with a great design. Only downside is you will need to sharpen them once you get them as they don't come hair popping sharp. But they get razor sharp in 5 minutes with a stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk