3rd axis on Black Gold Acsent?

Being a flatland whitetail hunter from Iowa I learned the hard way about setting my bow up for the 3rd axis level. I have bow hunted elk for more than 12 seasons and majority in dark timber where 30 yd. or less shots are the norm. Well this year I found myself in a situation where I was on a rock bluff looking down on a bugling bull. I have the Halo rangefinder that gives you the angle and distance and I punched in the bulls range at -29gedree and 62yds. At home on flat ground gravy shot!! My first arrow stuck in a tree 15' up and 2' right. The bull didn't flinch. 2nd arrow stacked on top of the first!!. WTF! Well with only 2 arrows left I said enough and watched "my" bull walk away with his ladies. When I got home my buddy who has hunted muleys a couple times, asked me if I had set my 3rd axis? I told him I had no idea what he was talking about. Doing the internet searching I realized my mistake. My issue now is I have the Black Gold single pin that doesn't have that axis adjustment and need to know what I should do? FYI I did retrieve my arrows the next day but ended up trashing them during removal and I did take pics as the were hanging out!:)

it looks like the ascent has a base that offers 3rd axis adjustment from S&S archery.
i'd give them a call about this.
although, 15 feet high of a shot does not sound like 3rd axis level adjustment issues. from my (very basic understanding and I will not be offended if I am corrected here) 3rd axis mainly helps you maintain left/right on the uphill/downhill shots, not up and down.. also 15 feet is a lot...like 3 elk high.

OP
T
My bad. I forgot to state that the tree was in front and to the right of the elk. Black Gold does offer a sight with the third axis adjustment but its on a different sight. I questioned the actual distance that elk was based on how high I hit up the tree. I believe Gritty has a podcast with Gylingham (spell) that might explain some of these issues with rangefinders that have angle compensators.

OR Archer

WKR
Most rangefinders are only going to compensate for around 7-10 degrees of angle. So on a steep angled shot like that you would need to know how much of an additional cut for your set up. So that could easily explain the high part of your miss. The left and right would be not having the 2nd/3rd axis set.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You can adjust the 3rd axis on the Ascent, you just have to shim it with trial and error until it reads correctly. But who knows.......you may find that it's already good to go. I've had several sights that were spot on without any adjustment.

Level the bowl horizontally then level the site horizontally and then pull back ,anchor ,and go to extreme low angle and extreme high angle watching that level on the site to make sure it stays level other than just at perpendicular... that will tell you if you are on or not.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

R_burg

WKR
If you dont want a new sight, but want to get 3rd axis on it, you should be able to buy the dovetail base, which has 3rd axis adjustment.

I dont know what they sell for though, I bought mine with the 6" dovetail already. It might be cheaper to sell yours and buy a new one in the long run.