Rests for hunting-

Hello all, my current bow as well as the used bow im about to pick up has a whisker biscuit. I felt initially the rests were a solid option for hunting as they are a full capture. Coming from the two prong sit on rests this was amazing. No more having to hold the arrow on the rest constantly during walk in/ stalk. Add angled shots were better too in that regard. However, it has been an absolute pain getting consistent results between broadheads and field points. The only work around i have found is mechanical broadheads. All the guys i shoot with have been suggesting to go with drop away but i have a few concerns:

1- Reliability
2- Stability
3- Ability to retain arrow on rest.

I appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Gumbo

WKR
Go with a Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Micro. It is totally reliable, easy to set up, and holds the arrow great. Put some felt on the launcher for sure. Limb driven is more reliable in my experience than Rip Cord/QAD inertia activated fallaways.

I don't like how a WB holds an arrow, if you set the bow down the arrow can be pushed into the whiskers. On a cage rest it can be pushed around and not end up pushed out of position.

garrete

FNG
Properly set up there are many quality drop away rests. The drop away crowd really likes QAD. They do however need to be set up right. Make the launcher arm isn't contacting the rest or they'll bearings go bad. I wrecked three qad rests doing that.

I currently use a hamskea micro hunter. I have it set up as a limb driven rest and I love it. Full capture and really easy to set up.

Both brands I mentioned will live up to your expectations assuming they are installed correctly.

Then just shoot through paper and any high quality fixed head should fly good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
With the hamskea do you get pretty consistent and comparable results between field tips and fixed/mechanical broadheads?

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've been using the QAD for the last 4 years with no issues. Sounds more like you have poor setup issue than the brand/type rest that you're using. I've never had any problems with my broadheads hitting the same as my field points, since I started bowhunting in 1992. However, that only covers 3 different bows and 2 different style rests.

Brendan

WKR
With the hamskea do you get pretty consistent and comparable results between field tips and fixed/mechanical broadheads?
This has nothing to do with the rest - it's whether your bow is in tune.

Fan of Hamskea here, had good luck with QAD but prefer micro-adjust and haven't tried their latest. Have seen multiple broken ripcord's and won't use them anymore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Davebuech

WKR
Brendan is spot on. Don't go out and buy a Hamskea or QAD and expect to have perfect results (IE same POI w BH & FT). While it maybe a contributing factor your bow must be in tune first. You may find a micro adjustable drop away a good tool to get you there, it alone is probably not your answer.

This has nothing to do with the rest - it's whether your bow is in tune.

Fan of Hamskea here, had good luck with QAD but prefer micro-adjust and haven't tried their latest. Have seen multiple broken ripcord's and won't use them anymore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
B
I will check out the QAD. I truly feel my issue between tips is the rest. My last bow that had the prong rest was set up the exact same as this one, but had very little shift between the two types of tips. So little i just worked with a minimal hold off as i shot more 3d comp than hunted at the time. The WB is not the same. It was typically several inches difference. Just to make sure i borrowed and used a prong rest from a friend and went back to the minimal shift. So now im looking for an alternative to the prong style while dealing with the WB.

OP
B
Same set up. Different bows. Just for clarification. So it could be a culmination of all of the things. In general im just not a fan of the WB except for the arrow retention. Apart from that im looking for a change that can also potentially increase performance as im starting with a clean slate on the new bow.

OP
B
I will take both my current bow and the new one in to check tuning. May still go with a different rest on the new bow to try that out. I suspect yall may be right that its a tuning issue the more i think about it. The old bow will be my back up bow anyways so best to have it checked anyways.

Thanks yall.

Brendan

WKR
It's not the brand of the rest - it's the vertical and horizontal position of the rest along with yokes, cam spacers, cable guard, your grip,etc.

A WB probably doesn't help because of the fletching contact (And I'd be getting rid of it too), but it's how you set the rest up that matters.

Some good broadhead tuning threads here from August if you feel like reading.

Also - tuning isn't something where you leave your bow with someone and it comes back tuned. It needs to be tuned to your grip, your form, your shot, so has to be done with you behind the bow if you want perfect broadhead flight.

OP
B
For some reason i never thought of tuning that way. As a specific to person thing. Apparently my local "pro shop" doesnt either. They had me check draw length, drop the bow off, and then pick it back up in a couple days with my newly fletched arrows after they tuned it.....then i just sighted in at home as best i could.

Brendan

WKR
For some reason i never thought of tuning that way. As a specific to person thing. Apparently my local "pro shop" doesnt either. They had me check draw length, drop the bow off, and then pick it back up in a couple days with my newly fletched arrows after they tuned it.....then i just sighted in at home as best i could.

Better than nothing, but if you want broadheads and field points to hit to the same spot - you need to tune it to your form. Here's a thread where we went back and forth on it:

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/archery/75135-bh-8-10-50yds-tuned.html

You can often take what your shop did, make a couple small tweaks to the rest position, and be done with it. Better if you can have yokes, cam spacers adjusted depending on the bow, but not always needed.

I still like your plan to get rid of the Biscuit - QAD is stupid easy, I like the Hamskea for the adjustability and the fact that it's bomb proof.

Brendan

WKR
Not familiar with the defy, but have a Centergy Hybrid. The defy should be rest / nocking point adjustments only for tuning. Unsure if it has an adjustable cable guard. Read the thread I linked, once it's setup you should be able to tune it yourself at the range with a set of allen wrenches...

TXCO

WKR
One thing I'll warm about for drop aways (like the QAD or ripcord) is that I have had them freeze on me in rain/snow. The moisture builds up side of them while locked in the up position and they dont drop.

Stay away from a whisker bisquit. Its not possible to shoot without any torque since your arrow is constantly touching the rest and eventually the vanes go through it.

I am a big fan of my trophy taker smackdown pro. It's so simple to set up a limb driven rest, and they are pretty bomb proof. I don't torture my equipment like some, but I have never had a failure from this rest