Iron Will Outfitters Broadhead Performance- 2017 Yukon Archery Moose

GotDraw?

WKR
Iron Will Outfitters Broadhead Performance- 2017 Yukon Archery Moose

I want to first thank the moderators and members here, all of whom have contributed greatly to my hunting knowledge. Also, the sponsors who keep this website funded and running.

I arrived home 3am Monday from a successful Yukon archery moose hunt, my buddy and I both tagged out on big moose early on the 4th day of a 7-day hunt. I used Iron Will Outfitters' 125 grain broadheads and could not have been more pleased with their performance.

All my prior elk hunting has been public land/self-guided, this moose hunt was in Yukon Territory and required non-residents to use a guide… so this was my first guided hunt. The outfitter, Ceaser Lake Outfitters (Joel Wilkinson) and our guides (Troy Beaudoin and Dave O’Farrell) were tremendous. Joel’s hunting concession is 14,000 square miles (8 million acres) and his success rate is 95+%. My buddy and I were the only hunters on a 9 mile long, one mile wide lake and probably the only hunters in a million+ acres for all I know. I do know we were a solid 100 miles by float plane from the nearest road.

Enough backstory.

Troy called in several bulls during my hunt. On the morning of 4th day, he called in a big bull. Yukon bulls weigh 1,200 -1,600 pounds, this guy was about 8 years old with a 60” spread and rough scored 207.

I shoot a 60lb Bowtech Experience, 27.5” draw, 400 grain Victory VAPs, Blazer vanes, Lumenocks, Titus titanium inserts and 125 grain Iron Will Outfitters Broadheads. I chose Iron Will broadheads because of their design/build quality, hardened stainless ferrules, cut on contact configuration, thick A-2 blade steel and superior out of the box honed edge. The last thing I want to worry about is a blade or ferrule bending or breaking if I hit bone.

I shot this bull twice at full broadside. First shot was a double lung pass-through at about 35-40 yards. The broadhead went through him so fast that the bull didn't even blink. Second shot about 20 seconds later at 25-30 yds, again a double lung pass through. The second arrow came out the other side with such remaining speed/energy that the broadhead completely split a 2” sapling 20 feet on the other side of him (see photo). Bull trotted about 60 yards and dropped in the middle of small river.

I’ve attached a photo of the bull, both arrow entries in the hide, pic of the lungs with both arrow entries (arrow in photo is not the arrow I shot, as I had not recovered them yet) and a photo of the second arrow/broadhead that split the sapling after passing through 3 feet of bull. Lungs/hide, etc are not all that bloody looking since he died in the river and we had to tow/drag him to shore to work him up.

Hope this was helpful.

Best,

JL

20171005_133825.jpg

20171005_132516.jpg

double lung.jpg

IronWill Broadhead Sapling Split- zoomed.jpg

Attachments

• 20171005_144955.jpg
    20171005_144955.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 233

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Man nice Bull. You should be super proud. I picked up half a dozen Iron Will 125s also I didn't get a chance to get a shot off on an elk but you reinforced my purchase. Congrats. He is a stud.

Awesome bull, great write up! Great performance out of an obviously well tuned set up. No need to be Hercules, tune the bow and shoot quality products. Any damage to either head? Looks like if you'd needed a blood trail it would have been there in excess. Congrats on an awesome adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
GotDraw?

GotDraw?

WKR
Great question!

Broadhead #1 passed through and exited fast, it hit a rock on the other side of the animal and only suffered the smallest chip to the tip. Actually still very usable, but I'll touch the point on wet stone. Edges will still shave hair.

Broadhead #2 that split the tree after exiting is perfect. Edges will still shave hair. Cleaned it up and put it back in my quiver.

JL

Awesome bull, great write up! Great performance out of an obviously well tuned set up. No need to be Hercules, tune the bow and shoot quality products. Any damage to either head? Looks like if you'd needed a blood trail it would have been there in excess. Congrats on an awesome adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great question!

Broadhead #1 passed through and exited fast, it hit a rock on the other side of the animal and only suffered the smallest chip to the tip. Actually still very usable, but I'll touch the point on wet stone. Edges will still shave hair.

Broadhead #2 that split the tree after exiting is perfect. Edges will still shave hair. Cleaned it up and put it back in my quiver.

JL
Great durability as well then, no doubt .

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk