new archer- hoty rampage or energy 35?

hi2u

FNG
new archer- hoty rampage XT or energy 35?

Just getting into archery and a seller has both these bows. They both seem like awesome bows.. Thought I would get everyones thoughts about them fitting me? I'm 6"2 200 pounds with 29.5 draw.

Looking to do some whitetail deer hunting, but really want to use something for elk every fall on public land.

Whats everyones thoughts about these two bows?

Last edited:

bat-cave

WKR
I expect you will hear lots of "shoot both and see what suits you" and I wouldn't disagree. I have shot my share of whitetails with an Energy 35 and can say that based upon my experience it's a great bow. It's my favorite draw cycle of any of the bows I have shot, much less owned. My only complaints on the Elite - Heavy, Slower than most of the comparable bows and it can be a bugger to let it down. To be clear it's not that you can't let it down when need be, but I believe it's harder than most bows (for me). It's funny as it's so easy to hold at full draw and you keep thinking that you're let up enough ... :) Far from a show stopper.

I haven't shot the Rampage. I have shot my share of other Hoyt models and they are great bows, but I have yet to find them to be my first choice. My Energy 35 is my backup right bow as I'm shooting an Xcursion 6 this season as I wanted more speed and something a bit lighter. Frankly more an issue for Elk season than WT for me .. but given I struck out during Elk season the Xcursion 6 will be in my hand next week to try and get my first harvest with the Xpedition~

Boreal

WKR
Ford vs Chevy, Kifaru vs Kuiu, Vortex vs Leupold...

You're going to find people who are partial to one or the other, or people who use both. I fall into the later camp. My first quality bow was an Elite, and I love my Impulse 34. I don't hunt with it, though. I hunt with my Hoyt Carbon Defiant, and love that bow, too. The Elite is a pleasure to shoot, stable, and exactly what I want for my 3D and indoor target bow. I hunted with it for one year and it was fine. I just wanted a lighter setup for hunting, and went with the Hoyt after shooting it and the PSE Carbon. The draw cycle is very different, but I have to admit I like the Hoyt cycle better for hunting, less of a pronounced letoff, and it just gets me "there" more quickly than the Elite.

But I don't think you're going to go wrong with either bow. Oh yeah, "shoot both and see what suits you".

OR Archer

WKR
The Rampage is quite a bit older bow. Not a real fan of the M4 cam that it came with. It’s pretty slow as well. It IBOs around 308/310.
The Energy would be the better choice of the two. Easy to tune. Parts are available also if needed.

xcutter

WKR
Depends on price. I'm a die hard Hoyt guy. Had them for years and they have been great. I have to agree that the Rampage is quite a bit older than the E35. I'd probably go E35 or find another Hoyt. Price is the biggest factor for me. So if there the same price I'd say pick the best deal. Check out the classified at Archerytalk.com. You can find about anything you could want. Just pick your price range and start shopping.

Is it the Rampage or Rampage XT? It’s a big difference. Totally different cams and the XT is 17 FPS faster. It’s what I shoot, it is a great bow, one thing you have to be prepared for is the fuel cams will take off if you relax at all at full draw, it does force you to have a strong hold at the very nice back wall. If it is the regular Rampage, definitely the Energy. If it’s the XT, I like them both a lot.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend the longer axle to axle bow, that being the E35. I’ve heard good things about the Elites, however I do shoot a Hoyt. So as others have said it’s all opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HookUp

WKR
I wouldnt limit yourself to those choices. Go to your archery shop and shoot every bow you can, even the older models. Then buy what you want for dirt cheap off archery talk. Bow drop 40-50% within 2 years.