FAST EDDIE XL Housing choices

DEW0341

WKR
I'm settled on getting a FAST EDDIE XL, I've used a 3 pin slider for the past 2 years and would like to move over to a single pin or the double pin that SH offers. I recently found out that I am getting moved over to Oahu, Hawaii and the only game I will be hunting there is feral goat and hogs which aren't in large supply but are there at least. So considering that most likely 75% of my hunting will be going after the goats and shots will be beyond 35 yards, in most cases pretty vertical up or down, across ravines etc. and at a rather small target. I'm mostly eyeing a single pin since I'll have the time to dial, and a less cluttered housing for those longer shots on the small animal.

Does the double pin housing have a distinct advantage that I should re think this?

Anyone please chime in. I know it's not the typical western hunting situation that most of us run into but these are my circumstances. And would rather ask it here then spend over an hour on YouTube watching videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have any experience with the double pin but have been shooting a single for the last 3 years. It cost me a good buck yesterday..... he got up and moved towards me without offering a shot until he was 15 yards closer. Couldn't let down and adjust my single pin so had to guess where to aim..... shot right over him back. I ordered a 3 pin tommy Hogg this morning. In this case the double wouldn't have helped. This is the first time the single has "cost" me a critter but there have been other times where I have had to use some "Kentucky windage".

id go single. what i do is have my rangefinder hooked to my bino harness rigth around my right collarbone so holding the bow with my left hand i can range, dial the sight, and hook my release onto the dloop and be ready to draw in under 5 seconds. unless you plan on ambushing pigs in some thicker vegetation and they come in quicker than your expecting (ex. youre set up on a clearing where the trail is at 35 and they come in at 20 type) i dont think a double pin is really needed. in that type of situation i usually would set by single pin to the average shot distance from my ambush point and just hold high or low. you can also try this which works The "Trick-Pin" System - Rokslide

last billy i shot at was at 55 so yea start practicing those longer shots

OR Archer

WKR
I’d go with the double pin. Set the top for 30 and the second pin will be around 45. This has you covered to 50 with a little practice and no adjustment to the sight.

Don’t overlook going to some of the other islands there to hunt. There’s Axis deer on Maui, Molokai and lanai. There’s quite a variety of critters to hunt over there.

Bones

WKR
I prefer the double pin as well. If you have the newer xl, you can get a double pointer to go along with if. I don't feel the sight picture is any more cluttered with the double pin because it is on the same post as opposed to the multiple pins on a 3,5, or 7. There is a good article that Darin Cooper wrote on the trick pin that really can excel for larger game(elk) but I agree with OR Archer that you can cover out to 50ish without having to move the slider. Past that, I want to range and have exact distance and if I have time for that, I have time to dial.

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I have the double and with my setup I can cover 20-40 yards without making any adjustments. With the dual pointer my to pin is 25 yards and my bottom pin is 39. I regularly practice at distance between 20 and 40 yards and can make accurate shots without adjusting my sights.

I don't have any experience with the double pin but have been shooting a single for the last 3 years. It cost me a good buck yesterday..... he got up and moved towards me without offering a shot until he was 15 yards closer. Couldn't let down and adjust my single pin so had to guess where to aim..... shot right over him back. I ordered a 3 pin tommy Hogg this morning. In this case the double wouldn't have helped. This is the first time the single has "cost" me a critter but there have been other times where I have had to use some "Kentucky windage".

Exact same thing happened to me on a pig Tuesday. I have shot single pin for a few years, but once I have the money I am ordering a 3 pin for my black gold ascent.