2018 Hoyt - thoughts?

jm1607

WKR
I was very excited until I saw the brace heights.. I'm currently upgrading my bow to get rid of a 6" BH and move to a 7"+, so ya, they aren't making my personal list for this next spring..

jmez

WKR
I looked at and shot the RX-1 yesterday. I'm more interested in the Ultra but the shop didn't have those yet. Like the geometry of the bow, have never been a big fan of the way past parallel stuff, glad they went away from that design. Nice looking bow, definitely a bit different. The finish is typical for a Hoyt Carbon, this one was the Optifade pattern. If you are the type that closely inspects a finish and expects perfection you won't like it, I really don't care about that aspect. It's good but not perfect.

Right now I'm shooting a ZT Carbon Spyder Turbo. I've been shooting Hoyt since the carbon line came out. Have had a couple Matrix's, Element, and now the Turbo. Going to get a different bow this winter, done with the Turbo stuff. Going back to a longer ATA and more forgiving platform.

The one I shot had the 27"-30" adjustable cam set at 29 inches. I've been at 28.5 for years but switched full time to a thumb release this year and need 29 with that type of release. 29 felt right to me, I didn't measure it. Draw weight was 70#, felt about right but didn't scale it. It draws like a Hoyt. Loads up right at the start and maintains about even all the way through. No noticeable hump or dump at the end. Honestly, I didn't notice any real difference between this one and my current bow. Nice draw cycle IMO, and what I'm used to. There is a definite difference in the valley between this and my turbo. I did not creep the bow to test the depth of the valley. I was not using my release and having never shot the bow I didn't want to do something stupid! Not sure how wide/long the valley is. It does not want to leave on you however and this is a big difference between this and the previous Hoyts I've shot.

It transitions into the valley and then just sits there. I held it at full draw for quite a while on every shot and it holds very easily. My previous Hoyt's, and especially the Turbo, you don't have that feeling that it isn't going to decide to up and leave on you occasionally. I didn't let the bow down so I don't know if it has that Elite type feel where you think you need to physically push the string forward to let the bow down.

Bow had a biscuit and sight, no stabilizer. It held straight up and down through the draw cycle and into full draw. Very well balanced bow both vertical and horizontal. On the shot it wanted to tip back toward me, expected without a stabilizer. The shot "feels" like a carbon bow and why I shoot them, carbon fans will understand. Very quiet with the minimal accessories that were on it. No real recoil, hand buzz or any of the other common things you hear, but honestly, I haven't really felt any of that on any new bow I've shot in the last several years.

The grip. I'm picky about my grip. I always take them off and shoot off the riser. Most all factory grips are far too wide and rounded. Was pretty sure I'd remove the grip on the RX if I get one. After shooting it I'm not sure. The grip actually felt pretty good. It is fairly narrow and felt pretty natural. A huge improvement over the bulky wooden grips of the past.

It is a nice shooting bow. Pretty typical for a Hoyt I would say. If you like Hoyt's this one will feel right at home. If you aren't a Hoyt shooter and are used to a different draw cycle and feel then you will likely not be wowed by a totally new experience. It was a 70# bow and felt like that to me. For all those expecting "feeling like a 50#" bow don't bother. To those I would also say, go get a 50# bow and shoot it exclusively for 60 days, then go pick up any 70# bow on the market and tell me it feels just like 50#.

I like the bow, not surprising, I like Hoyt. If the changes work as advertised as regards to tuning then this will be a great bow and big step forward for Hoyt. I have no doubt that they will after reading Darin's review as he's always been pretty honest and forthright with his reviews.

Last edited:

Tilzbow

WKR
Great input, much better than the crap you have to read throuh over at AT....

Two Questions:

1) Can anyone confirm if the Last Chance Archery Easy Press without the adapters can be used to press the bow?

2) It's got a rear stabilizer mount built in. Is this angled and as anyone screwed a rear bar in to see how it sits?

OR Archer

WKR
I pressed it without the adapters. There’s the same amount of limb contact with or without them. The rollers on the adapters do not even touch the bow.

I haven’t looked at the rear mount closely but I didn’t notice any angle to it.

str_8tup

Lil-Rokslider
Great input, much better than the crap you have to read throuh over at AT....

Two Questions:

1) Can anyone confirm if the Last Chance Archery Easy Press without the adapters can be used to press the bow?

2) It's got a rear stabilizer mount built in. Is this angled and as anyone screwed a rear bar in to see how it sits?

Be careful pressing it without as they still have the warning label on the limbs. I have been using the adaptors. The rear stabilizer mount is square, not angled. I just got done setting one up for a customer. I set the rest 1/8” nock high for a Victory TKO. I didn’t have that arrow in the lane but shot a Easton FMJ thru it and shot a bullet hole with the first arrow! Liking this bow more and more!

Tilzbow

WKR
Since the rear stabilizer mount isn't angled we're likely going to have to buy an adapter that will allow the rear bar to be adjusted out and down to our desired angle. I can't find one that'll work on the B-Stinger site, anyone know of another company that makes one?

Tilzbow

WKR
Oops, I just checked the B-Stinger site again and I see a quick disconnect with a 10 degree offset. That should work perfect if an angle is desired.

OP
Bones

Bones

WKR
I had a chance to stop and look at them today. Didn't have time to shoot one. I am planning shoot it alongside the ultra when the shop gets one in a couple weeks.

I will echo the fact that the grip is a ton better than the wood one. It does look and feel a little "cheap" but is pretty narrow and feels a lot closer to shooting without the wood grip.

jherald

WKR
I like Hoyt as it is. If I could afford it I would get another carbon bow simply because they are coming in camo now, if they shoot well and don't turn out to have any issues.

I had a chance to shoot the new Hoyt tonight at my local shop. I am far from a bow expert. The best way to describe it is smooth. The Carbon was very light and had a very smooth draw cycle. This one was in the Kuiu Verde. It looked awesome. At $1500 I will probably keep my Insanity for awhile longer. But if I needed a new bow....

excaliber

WKR
Hoyt hasn't really been doing anything noteworthy for many years. I shoot Hoyt so I'm not bashing them. Has the speed of their bows increased much in the past 10 years? NO Do they shoot better than the bows they made 10 years ago? PROBABLY but not enough to really measure.

I'm still shooting a Spyder 34 and I see no reason to update my bow. One thing I don't like is the shorter ATA lengths that has happened over the last dozen years or so. I always thought a slightly longer risered bow with a better string angle made a better shooting and steadier bow.

I'm done buying bows until there is a real significant breakthrough in technology that blows my bow away and I don't see it coming.

bohntr

WKR
I love the news bows that just came out......it allowed me to buy a brand new 2017 Carbon Defiant on clearance........at $300 off! Yup, I love it when the marketing gurus cast their spell. :) Of course I only get a bow every 7-8 years.

wapitibob

WKR
Hoyt hasn't really been doing anything noteworthy for many years. I shoot Hoyt so I'm not bashing them. Has the speed of their bows increased much in the past 10 years? NO Do they shoot better than the bows they made 10 years ago? PROBABLY but not enough to really measure.

I'm still shooting a Spyder 34 and I see no reason to update my bow. One thing I don't like is the shorter ATA lengths that has happened over the last dozen years or so. I always thought a slightly longer risered bow with a better string angle made a better shooting and steadier bow.

I'm done buying bows until there is a real significant breakthrough in technology that blows my bow away and I don't see it coming.

I said earlier I'd like to see something new but after looking at the bow and thinking about the industry for the last 45 years, there really isn't much they can do. The consumer has gotten twisted up about speed and now, lateral nock travel.

Speed is pretty much a cam and power stroke function so if you want smooth and a decent brace, speed is going to suffer.

The only way you can completely eliminate lateral nock travel is to shoot thru the cables. Having gone thru that with marketing back in the early 80's and losing the argument, then almost a decade later seeing Martin fail to sell Jim Despart's version and eventually drop the offering, I don't see a major company selling a bow with a shoot thru system, certainly not a hunting bow. The split buss, lateral load transfer on the lower cam, and the close to center roller guard should be sufficient to satisfy most.

The film dip wasn't perfect but with all the nooks and crannies on that riser I wouldn't expect it to be. It beats paint all to heck, just look at a 2017 Mathews TRX that somebody has been shooting.

hunterman_78

Lil-Rokslider
I love the news bows that just came out......it allowed me to buy a brand new 2017 Carbon Defiant on clearance........at $300 off! Yup, I love it when the marketing gurus cast their spell. :) Of course I only get a bow every 7-8 years.

I totally agree. Just picked up my carbon defiant to!

After seeing the new RX-1 and watching someone shoot it, I don't want a Carbon Defiant anymore that is $300 off like the one I have on watch on ebay.

TheTone

WKR

Pretty much the same boat myself, I'm excited to see what a couple dealers near me do with prices on 2017 bows

MattB

WKR

Hoyt's listed top end speed has increase 20 FPS since over the past 10 years, which is quite a bit. They also came up with a cam design that provided the string angle of a longer ATA bow in a more compact package. I am not suggesting either is earth-shattering, but both would seem noteworthy given your specific complaints.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
Shot the new RX-1 Carbon at my shop tonight. I even took notes (engineer here, sorry) as a coworker wanted my opinion on it. It was set at 72# and 29" draw (slot #5 out of 7). Arrows were 493grains (relevant below).

This particular bow was in the Subalpine color which to my eye looked pretty good. The Realtree was also well executed (though not my subjective cup of tea). The same could not be said for the Kuiu bow my shop had on hand. It had multiple visual and textural flaws. Enough to make me think that, if not a one-off outlier, there is a significant manufacturing difference here (process engineer). FYI if it matters to you.

I shot it back-to-back with my Nitrum 34 (#2 cam) and I also have a Carbon Defiant Turbo (yeah I'm the "Hoyt shooter" at my shop in case anyone thinks I'm bashing).

I'm not a fan of the new grip but per Dudley the old style can be installed easily. More choices are good and most everyone should be able to be happy here.

The draw cycle was pretty much as expected given the 85% let-off. Which is good, to me it felt just like the standard Defiant's I've shot; loading quickly, rolling over easily and falling into a large valley. My shoulder and I prefer a more progressive build-up like my Nitrum and Turbo and look forward to trying out the new turbo when it's available.

The bow holds and balances well and feels just like my turbo in this respect.

Subjectively (no chrono), it seems fast (relative to, say, the Carbon Defiant 34) but then again the brace dropped an inch....

As far as bare weight, my shop weighed it and the aluminum Hyperforce. Measured bare, the carbon rendition came in 0.4 pound HEAVIER?? This is the exact opposite of the published specs but it did feel heavier (with a lightweight sight and biscuit installed). Yeah, I raised an eyebrow with this.

Finally, at the instant I shot the first arrow, I thought "damn, this thing sounds just like my Defiant!" Which, as a couple of rather large mule deer will attest to, is entirely too loud, even with a pretty heavy arrow. This is a rather troubling thing to me with Hoyt's over the past couple years. There is a huge variation in noise at the shot from model to model. In this respect they seem to continue to fall behind the competition.

Brendan

WKR
Anyone interested in a 2016 Carbon Defiant Turbo in pretty much new condition - let me know... May have to pick one of these up. Great reviews everyone!