2018 Hoyt - thoughts?

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
I got a 2017 Pro Defiant on sale today. I was debating between this and an RX-1 and in the end I liked the way the Pro Defiant shot slightly better and I can't complain about the price difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I was wanting a Hoyt Carbon bow but after the price increase, I've just started to realize that the bow is not worth close to double the cost of the competitors. I could see $200ish dollars for a superior bow but almost double? Sounds like they need to stop funding their marketing team so much and go back to just building nice bows. I'd rather dump my money in a smooth shooter like Prime/Elite or get a nicely customized color bow from Obsession. I will be moving on for my next bow this year.

Last edited:
I was wanting a Hoyt Carbon bow but after the price increase, I've just started to realize that the bow is not worth close to double the cost of the competitors. I could see $200ish dollars for a superior bow but almost double? Sounds like they need to stop funding their marketing team so much and go back to just building nice bows. I'd rather dump my money in a smooth shooter like Prime/Elite or get a nicely customized color bow from Obsession. I will be moving on for my next bow this year.

not sure where you are getting your pricing from. they are right there with other aluminum bows and they only raised the price $100 from last year and added a bow case to what you get. now I'm not say they aren't super expensive but they are not even close to double what other flag ship bows cost.

not sure where you are getting your pricing from. they are right there with other aluminum bows and they only raised the price $100 from last year and added a bow case to what you get. now I'm not say they aren't super expensive but they are not even close to double what other flag ship bows cost.

A lot of reports have come in of about $1600 for the Carbon Ultra RX-1 bow including the two dealers in my area that I called. Considering an approximate equivalent bow that I've been looking at, the Obsession K34, is $900. I didn't say they were already double the cost I said they are getting close to double the cost. 2 x 900 = 1800 - 1600 = 200$ away from double the cost of a bow that does not have half of the performance. Even using the cost of a $1000 flagship bow, it's still closer to double the cost then not.

Maybe I have overpriced dealers in my area but my point was the bow is starting to get more expensive than its worth, considering the competition, and so I was going to look at other bows for my next bow.

A lot of reports have come in of about $1600 for the Carbon Ultra RX-1 bow including the two dealers in my area that I called. Considering an approximate equivalent bow that I've been looking at, the Obsession K34, is $900. I didn't say they were already double the cost I said they are getting close to double the cost. 2 x 900 = 1800 - 1600 = 200$ away from double the cost of a bow that does not have half of the performance. Even using the cost of a $1000 flagship bow, it's still closer to double the cost then not.

Maybe I have overpriced dealers in my area but my point was the bow is starting to get more expensive than its worth, considering the competition, and so I was going to look at other bows for my next bow.

My point is you cant compare carbon bows like the RX1 to an aluminum bow when it comes to pricing. If you want to look at other carbon flag ship bows (pse VS hoyt) they are all close to the same price. If you take the new Hyper-force (Hoyts aluminum flag ship bow) and compare it to the K34 the price is about $100 different.

Carbon will always be more expensive than aluminum bows (unless we are talking about bowtechs plastic injection molded bow which has carbon added but is still plastic from what I understand).

are the carbon bows worth more than aluminum bow? that's a completely personal decision.

My point is you cant compare carbon bows like the RX1 to an aluminum bow when it comes to pricing. If you want to look at other carbon flag ship bows (pse VS hoyt) they are all close to the same price. If you take the new Hyper-force (Hoyts aluminum flag ship bow) and compare it to the K34 the price is about $100 different.

Carbon will always be more expensive than aluminum bows (unless we are talking about bowtechs plastic injection molded bow which has carbon added but is still plastic from what I understand).

are the carbon bows worth more than aluminum bow? that's a completely personal decision.

Look, I get your point but lets get the thread back on track. The OP asked for OPINIONS so I gave him my opinion. You asked for my facts that I used to formulate said opinion and I gave them. Now you are telling me my opinion is wrong and I can't have the opinion I do while not posting any numbers yourself? Lets take a step back from the keyboard and reflect before posting.

$100 difference between a k34 and the hyperforce? The hyperforce is $1,099 and the K34 is $899. That's a $200 difference.

The Carbon Defiant 34 could be had locally for $1450 and now at the same local shops, it will be $1600 for the ultra which is $150 difference. Hence why I posted it is no longer at a price point I would consider given a comparison between hunting tool A and hunting tool B. The RX1 still is a good bow but I didn't see the monetary difference being worth it given a side by side comparison between some of the bows I consider competitors.

MattB

WKR
So what is the draw back of a higher percentage let off cam?
Is it just feel or something more.

A lot of experienced archers prefer lower let off because they feel it is more accurate. The rationale for this is the higher holding weight reduces the influence of minor miscues by the shooter. The benefit of higher leroff is fairly self-evident.

Look, I get your point but lets get the thread back on track. The OP asked for OPINIONS so I gave him my opinion. You asked for my facts that I used to formulate said opinion and I gave them. Now you are telling me my opinion is wrong and I can't have the opinion I do while not posting any numbers yourself? Lets take a step back from the keyboard and reflect before posting.

$100 difference between a k34 and the hyperforce? The hyperforce is $1,099 and the K34 is $899. That's a $200 difference.

The Carbon Defiant 34 could be had locally for $1450 and now at the same local shops, it will be $1600 for the ultra which is $150 difference. Hence why I posted it is no longer at a price point I would consider given a comparison between hunting tool A and hunting tool B. The RX1 still is a good bow but I didn't see the monetary difference being worth it given a side by side comparison between some of the bows I consider competitors.

my wording may not have been the best no offense was intended. in my opinion the carbon bows are in line with other carbon flagship bows of the same model year. the aluminum bows are also in line with other major manufactures (mathews $1099, bowtech $1099 and I'm sure others will be close). I have seen some smoking hot deals of carbon defiant bows though like $800!!

jmez

WKR
Problem with the smoking deals on the Defiant is you have to spend another $200 for special press fingers.

Problem with the smoking deals on the Defiant is you have to spend another $200 for special press fingers.

thats true or have a shop close you trust to work on your bows. I bit that bullet a while ago so luckily I have them already.

jmez

WKR
No such thing as a shop close enough when tuning and you need to just take out or put a twist in a yoke.

Lawnboi

WKR
I think Hoyt made some notable changes this year. I'd really like one, regardless of price, especially that 35. But this year is the wife's year to get a new bow, so I guess I'm stuck with my dinosaur 2016 carbon defiant.

Only thing I can't figure out, why the heck Hoyt won't put their target grip system on a hunting bow. Though the new grip I do like, being that all my Hoyt bows I shoot off the riser.

And call it what you will but subalpine on a bow turns me on.

boom

WKR
i've never shot a Hoyt in my life. i did however call about the 32" ATA RX-1..i was quoted $1549..which i am okay with, but i know my wife will KILL me. i wanted to take the opportunity to switch over to a lighter drawing, LEFT hand bow, since i am eye-goofy, and right handed. i am mildly ambidextrous, so i think i can make the transition. HOWEVER, going lefting would mean i need to buy EVERYTHING..going lighter draw means i need new arrows (probably).

that is a big ticket item, a newly outfitted bow.