2018 Hoyt - thoughts?

Bones

WKR
What are everyone's thoughts on the release of the new bows? I had been wanting to move to a carbon so I may pull the trigger. Just wanted to see what everyone thought.

Scottyboy

WKR
If you check social media, they are the greatest thing that has ever happened, even more so than last year when the defiant was the greatest thing to happen.

I guess what I’m trying to say is give it a few weeks to let the sponsored people ie Dudley, cam, bone collector etc get their teasers out to justify the free bows then go shoot them at your local dealer.. I personally think it’s too early for us normal folk to have a opinion just yet, although I am going to be looking at them myself once our gun season starts in November

Jimbob

WKR
They look cool, a few new things. Mostly marketing though. If what they said was actually true the bow would perform way better than last years bow. The reality though is that performance is not getting much better nowadays. All the specs are staying the same and I don't think these bows will make you a better shot.

The only reason I think buying a new bow makes sense is if you go to a few shops and shoot a bunch of bows then pick the one you like best. That way buying new lets you test drive a whole bunch. If you are just going to buy a bow off specs and reviews then might as well pick out your bow then buy it used for 50% off.

HookUp

WKR
Feel comfortable shooting a 6" brace height then go for it. A 7" bow tech Reign with aluminum riser shoots 10 fps faster and weighs nearly same as the new HOYT carbon (3.9 lb v 4.3 lb). There is no performance leap, different feel and balance point, which is of course every bow companies selling point every year.

If you want carbon for the weight savings look at the new PSE when it comes out, substantially lighter (3.2 lb. v 3.9 lb) than the HOYT.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
Someday I'd like to see something new. I've seen everything on that new bow, some of it from the 70's. And it's not just Hoyt, they're all just recycling what's already been done.

I like what the OP said about all the social media hype. You’ve got the typical PROmotional staff pitching the new Hoyts as if they were built by god himself. Then even better is the guys reposting pictures and videos from Hoyt saying how they “revolutionize” and “inspire” yet again with this new line. But they haven’t even put hands on one of these bows!

Marketing success at its finest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Be nice if Darin Cooper would weigh in with some thoughts!

Not a fan of a non removable grip. I take the grip off and use the riser. This new grip looks wide and appears to be a little rounded. Don't think I'll like that.

Appears you should be able to press without the adapters. Profile looks the same as the pre Defiant bows.

Not sure what real world advantage a floating yoke system on the bottom cam when there are split yokes on the top cam already? I have never had to shim a bottom cam on a Hoyt to get it to tune, even pre flexible cable guards. Is that a solution looking for a problem?

The center balance looks nice with the wider pockets on the bottom.

I'll go shoot them and see what I think.

DWhitt

Lil-Rokslider

Not a fan of a non removable grip. I take the grip off and use the riser. This new grip looks wide and appears to be a little rounded. Don't think I'll like that.

Appears you should be able to press without the adapters. Profile looks the same as the pre Defiant bows.

Not sure what real world advantage a floating yoke system on the bottom cam when there are split yokes on the top cam already? I have never had to shim a bottom cam on a Hoyt to get it to tune, even pre flexible cable guards. Is that a solution looking for a problem?

The floating yoke is for tuning...the dfx cam had lots of cam lean at full draw. So much Ive had to shim the bottom cam to stop the cable stop from hitting the control cable. this would keep everything in track from brace to full draw. I havent tuned on yet but bet this will be a very tune able, very easy, and very consistent cam system to tune!
BTW Hoyt still recommends the adapters for the last chance press.....

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
Hoping the grip didn't change much. Hoping the turbo is a lot quieter. The media has already led to some eyeball rolling......:rolleyes:

Somewhat troubled by the bigger and bigger let-offs. All for greater tunability. The new camo patterns look nice.

Hope to shoot them this weekend if my shop has 'em in. Until then I'll reserve judgement.

jmez

WKR
They are "recommending" the adapters because of the negative feedback that's going to come their way. One of their paid spokespeople had a picture of one in a LCA press last night with no adapters and said the bow presses just fine in the regular press. I'm betting that will get removed but there are screenshots of it on AT.

The beyond parallel limbs were the reason the adapters were needed. These bows aren't beyond parallel. Look like the exact same geometry of the pre Defiant bows.

hunterman_78

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t like getting flag ship bows. So with that said I called around to a bunch of shops looking for a carbon defiant 34 in black at 70 lbs. since they’re discontinued a lot of shops are selling them at discount. I found one marked down about 400 bucks. I’ll be getting it this weekend. Pretty excited to move back to hoyt, my Mathews and I never got along as well as I did with Hoyt’s.

I'm sure we'll hear from OR Archer before long. He should have them in hand by now. Hint, hint!!

as far as I know he didnt have them yesterday (other than Cams bow I am guessing). I am waiting to hear from him today if and when he gets them in so I can go test drive them. I am going to do one of two things this year. I will either buy the new ultra RX1 in 80 pounds and have hoyt custom build it with the Turbo cam or do it myself OR If I do not like the new bow enough to change I will buy a carbon defiant 34 in 80# and do a turbo cam swap.

anyone know of a shop that has a Carbon defiant 34 in 80# in stock?

TheTone

WKR
I was surprised to see the 6" brace heights, the carbon riser not really being redesigned, not loving the look of the plastic grip and the weights keep creeping back up. My 09 alphamax is lighter than the current carbons! New cam seems interesting, I like the new camo. That said if I could get last years pro defiant or a carbon defiant in subalpine I probably would.

OR Archer

WKR
I should have our shipment in the next hour. I’ll tune one up and give some feedback later today.

hunterman_78

Lil-Rokslider
You could try lucky shot archery in chehalis. I talked to them yesterday and that had a lot of Hoyt’s they wanted to get rid of to make room for the new hoyt. He’s got some sweet deals going on to

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
More than meets the eye...

A few of us have had these bows for quite some time now - it's been tough keeping the secret at bay and I am enthused, excited to see some of the changes with the new bows.

The grip is easily removeable, mine is off. What remains is a rubber adhesive with a vertical line running up the grip. Your mileage may vary depending on how much of the adhesive was used. It's got a nice tactile feel and has been durable enough that I have not yet wrapped my grip. Again, your mileage may vary. The new plastic grip is nice compared to about any other grip on the market, it's just not my style.

The 6" brace height has been a non issue for me and the added speed makes me smile. Many people could not get past the speed issue so Hoyt answered with a very shootable, stable bow that has never bit me on the arm or hit my jacket. Most other companies are playing in this same realm to get their speeds. If you don't want 6" I'm sure there's a 7" brace bow in the line or there will likely be one back next year.

The yoked bottom cam with 3D track cut is a nice improvement that stabilizes the cam throughout the draw cycle. It lines up great at brace and full draw.

The grip is substantially lower on the RX-1 models compared to previous Hoyts. This provides a smoother arrow delivery. This initially concerned me because when you draw a Halon, it feels like the top cam wants to hit you in the forehead. The Hoyt thankfully has none of that sensation. The RX-1's are way more forgiving of arrow spine than recent Hoyts. I can shoot a heavier point without spine issues even though it's got a 3/4" longer power stroke. I'm running A/C and FMJ Injexion 330's with a point adapter and 100 and 125 grain points.

Cams are smooth. My bow bottoms out at about 73 pounds and I had no issues transitioning to it from my Carbon Defiant. It felt like home right away. The added letoff is not noticeable to me. It's not a clunky transition to full draw by any means. There's going to be 80% option as well so don't let the 85% be a hang up.

These bows tune different than Hoyts of recent years. Much easier to get high low sorted out and instead of a left tear they tend more toward bullet hole or right tear. This is something we spent a lot of time on during testing. Depending on how you grip the bow, you may need to bias the top cam (yoke tune) slightly (one twist-ish) to point it away from the cable rollers to get perfect center shot, but most tune center with top straight up.

The performance of the RX-1 is impressive. Yes, others tout more speed, but when you run them over the graph they don't produce - especially at draw lengths less than 30. My bow is sending a 504 grain arrow through my Oehler 35P chronograph at 285 fps at 29" draw and ~73 pounds. 478 grain arrow runs 292, all factory strings. I have never seen speeds like that from a mainstream Hoyt hunting bow. I'm not a turbo guy.

The bow aims great, balances perfectly, seems quieter and slightly less hand shock than years prior. Performance sees a nice boost from lower brace height and my RX-1 is every bit as forgiving as my Carbon Defiant 34. I'll have my hands on the longer version soon as well, but this shorty gets two thumbs up from me.

Pretty busy this week so I may not be back much to answer questions, but wanted to get some real info out here.

In my opinion, this is a BUY year for Hoyt fans. The REDWRX line is solid!

Coop

OP
Bones

Bones

WKR
Thanks Darin. Really appreciate your input. I am wavering between the 32" or 35". Going to shoot them both. My draw length is 30", so may go with the longer a2a.