Suggestions on a used 2016/2017 bow

TheCougar

WKR
I'm thinking about getting a new (used) bow and relegating my current bow to backup status. I'm shooting a 2011/2012ish PSE EVO 7 with a 7" brace height, 29.5" draw at 68lbs, and shooting 420gr arrows at about 290fps. I don't pay attention to bow technology or companies. I have no allegiance to a brand or a particular style. I'm also in no rush, so I can wait a year and buy a used 2018 next fall if something is coming out that is worth waiting for. My current bow is fine, but I imagine bow technology has improved significantly in the last 6-7 years, so I'm thinking about upgrading.

My wish list:
#1 is tuneability: I want a bow that is easy to tune, stays in tune, and I don't have to screw around with it. I want to set it, forget it, and shoot it. No shimming cams, timing issues, etc.
#2 is forgiveness: I want a bow that either has a larger brace height or shoots like it does! I like a larger brace height because I shoot to 100 yards and I need every advantage I can get at that range. I'll sacrifice 10 fps for an arrow that hits closer to POA when I make a poor shot.
#3: Speed. It would be nice to be able to shoot 450gr at 290-295fps with a 29.5" draw @ 70lbs. That is a pretty small increase over my current setup.
#4: Weight. My current bow is a bit heavy with the stabilizer setup I have (bare bow weight is 4.5lbs). It would be nice to shed 8 oz.
#5: Noise, shock, etc.

Thanks for your opinions on the matter.

big44a4

WKR
I feel more accurate at longer ranges with a heavier bow 4+ lb bow. Just takes some getting used to, but less getting pushed around by wind for me. My top recent bows I'd say go shoot are in no order: prime rize/centergy, Mathews halon or halon 32, bowtech reign, and elite option/impulse. Least time shooting the elites but that gives you a starting point. With the Halons being the heaviest if I remember without looking at specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brocksw

WKR
The first bow I'd put in your hand is an elite impulse or tempo and regardless of which bow you end up with, I'd tell you to get a custom set of strings and trash or sell the factory.

It's just my experience, but it seems like a good set of custom strings hold a tune much, MUCH better and longer. Factory strings always seem to have a settling in period where they stretch and I'm never as happy with them over the long haul... Not to mention serving is usually much better on custom sets.

I have an impulse 34 with custom strings and I haven't touched the tune in that bow for 2 years. Still shoots bullets, still shoots broadheads. Those binaries are simple and with good strings are hassle free in my experience. Not the quietest and the draw cycle isn't for everyone. I call them forgiving because with the high let off and big valleys usually associated with elites, they allow you to be a bit "lazy" with your form and form consistency. My Matthews with 75% mods does a better job with keeping me honest in my shooting process. I've never owned a Hoyt, but I've shot them quite a bit and I would put them in that category with a mathews as well. I can't speak for the new 2018 Hoytthews bows though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I feel more accurate at longer ranges with a heavier bow 4+ lb bow. Just takes some getting used to, but less getting pushed around by wind for me. My top recent bows I'd say go shoot are in no order: prime rize/centergy, Mathews halon or halon 32, bowtech reign, and elite option/impulse. Least time shooting the elites but that gives you a starting point. With the Halons being the heaviest if I remember without looking at specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bow has a large b-stinger front and side stabilizer setup, so that keeps the weight up. I think I could shed some ounces from the bow and still have a very stable platform in the wind.

I have had two bows that meet the requirements you have. One was an Xpedition and the other an obsession. I currently shoot the Obsession and really like it. While I wouldn't mind a hybrid for the fine tuning ability, this dual cam two track system of my obsession is easy to time, and cam lean was good from the factory, so setup was simple. I had good luck with the Xpedition as well, but sold it. I wish I had it back, but the obsession is so good that I will stick with it until I find something that can truly beat it's overall performance.

Look for either of these in classifieds online and you'll probably find a decent deal.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Bowtech Reign. It meets all of the criteria you are looking for. Tunability is excellent with top AND bottom yokes. It must be very forgiving because I'm far from a good shot, but I've been stacking arrows with it and have taken two nice animals with it this year. Its fast...I'm also at 29.5" draw and iirc my arrows are 464 gr moving at 292fps. It only weighs 2 ounces more than Hoyt's new carbon bow, and is very quiet.

All that being said, I shot every major company's flagship bow this summer before I bought it, and the Prime Centergy and PSE Evolve were also very good. The Prime had a bit of a buzz when I shot it but I'm sure that would go away when you add a stabilizer, sight, etc. The PSE was amazing in every way, but I avoided it just because of the PSE name. Hope that helps!

rhendrix

WKR
I’ve got a used Halon 32 I’m gonna list in the next day or so that meets all those requirements. The only way you get to all those requirements if you ask me is to drop the coin for a Defiant Turbo.

E-2

Lil-Rokslider
You didn't mention Axle to axle. Do you have a preference?

To reach that speed with a longer brace height is going to be tough. I had a PSE Decree HD (35 ata) 6.5" brace height that would be close.

In theory and calculator, the Bowtech Reign 7 should make those speeds.

The Obsession Addiction OBB is another bow that could get that done as well.

I think you should look at the Elite Revol. It is 35" ATA, IBO at 333 fps, super quiet and vibration free. New, it is around $1300, but I got one slightly used for $715, delivered. I love it and it is replacing a Hoyt AlphaMax 35, which a lot of people think is a great bow. My new Elite really outperforms my old Hoyt. I dropped from 70# to 60# and lost no speed. I am pretty jacked about this bow.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. I went and shot the Centergy and Elite Option 6. The centergy is awesome: I love the simplicity, the draw cycle, the back wall, and the feel of it. I wish I could have shot it longer range to see the difference in pin float and the accuracy claims. The Elite Option 6 was also nice: it was quieter and had less vibration and was about 5fps faster using my arrow, but I didn’t care for the draw cycle. Between the two, I really liked the Centergy. I will go back and try some Hoyt and Bowtech next time. Can someone tell me the relationship between ata and accuracy? I know longer brace height= More forgiving and less speed and longer ATA=more accuracy, right? The centergy hybrid loses 1/2 inch branch height but adds a couple of inches of ATA and I’m wondering if it will be more or less accurate/forgiving?

jmez

WKR
#2 and #3 are going to be mutually exclusive. Heavy arrow at that speed is not likely going to be the most forgiving.

#1- Whatever you choose you are likely going to have to tune it initially and that will involve shimming and or twisting to get it right. After the initial tune any bow from Hoyt or Bowtech will need periodic tweaking and will need retuned if you change strings and cables so you can eliminate them. If you want the best speed with a tune it once and forget it then your best bet will be a PSE with the Evovle Cam. Mathews AVS cam bows Elite, or anything with a binary cam will be similar.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
#2 and #3 are going to be mutually exclusive. Heavy arrow at that speed is not likely going to be the most forgiving.

#1- Whatever you choose you are likely going to have to tune it initially and that will involve shimming and or twisting to get it right. After the initial tune any bow from Hoyt or Bowtech will need periodic tweaking and will need retuned if you change strings and cables so you can eliminate them. If you want the best speed with a tune it once and forget it then your best bet will be a PSE with the Evovle Cam. Mathews AVS cam bows Elite, or anything with a binary cam will be similar.

Am I getting greedy with my speed? 290 at 450gr doesn’t sound like a speed bow... but is it? Both the option 6 and centergy were very close to my current setup - 290-295 FPS at 425gr.

HookUp

WKR
Prime Centergy, that feeling you had shooting it is the real deal. They tune the best with different broadheads as well.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Are you legitimately more accurate with it? Less pin float? I shot the Centergy and I got the shivers. Then I picked up my old PSE, which up to that point I had been totally satisfied with, and now every time I draw it back I am disappointed!

MylesH

FNG
Sounds like you have a more relax shooting style. I shoot an Elite Energy 32 and absolutely love it. The back walls on Elites are arguably one of the best in the industry. Prime is also a good all around bow for pretty much any game animal you'd want to go hunting for. I would look into the Centergy Hybrid, that 35 ATA should have amazing stability.