vane decision

I am looking to build some new arrows for long range shots out to 100+. I have decided on victory vap tko low torque gamers with shuttle t-lock broad heads. I am not sure however as to what vane i should go with? i have been told bohning heat vanes , but i am wondering if they are a little on the short side? I am leaning towards Bohning x-vanes 3.5 inch. thoughts anyone?

OP
T
I've seen mixed reviews on these. i have the short quick spins now they are great but not big enough for my broad head. in that note i have enough quick spin vanes to do like 200 arrows if anyone is interested in them tons of colors.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
Changed up the arrows this fall for one of my bows, looking for a quieter, slightly lighter setup. Moving away from FMJ injexions and Blazers and to VAP TKO LT's. I tried Heat vanes and was extremely displeased with the results. With field points they were a couple inches low at 70 yards (relative to the other vanes I tried) and things really went sideways when broadheads were used (including Shuttle T's). I ended up with the Max Stealth's.

OP
T
wow thanks thats good to know at the price of arrows these days a guy wants to hit a home run on the first at bat for sure! i think archery set up is more that shooting my lapua!

wapitibob

WKR
The best vane you can buy are the original Flex Fletch. Their new ones suck. I bought 100 AAE max vanes and 1/10 gets tossed because of a crease, besides not sticking. My Vane Tech will curl after being in the sun.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
i have the short quick spins now they are great but not big enough for my broad head.

Try the 2" QS Speed Hunters, they work with every BH I've tried them with for long or short range, including the 125gr Shuttle T's. But I wanted to try some lower profile vanes so now I'm using the Q2i Fusion Xii 2.1" vanes. They work as well as the Speed Hunters, especially in a 4-fletch with big fixed heads. The furthest I've shot them though is 120.

OP
T
I have the 2.25 QS speed hunters( a ton of them) i am just nervous to test on arrows that run 150/doz. I have also heard that QS vanes are loud. I have never tested it personally.

Just remember the Vane choice should always depend on the amount of control you will need based on the weight and broadhead design up front, from there you look at noise, distance etc...

I shoot the blazer 2" vanes, but have tried many different types and 3 or 4 fletch, helical, vs offset.

I always come back to the blazers with an offset. I shoot out to 100.
This year I will try a 4 fletch heat.

I personally believe an offset is better at distance than helical, as it keeps it momentum further down range.
I will be doing a 4 fletch , offset, heat vane set up this year.

You can always remove the fletching if you don't like its results, and try something else.
A Fletching jig is a must for any archer.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have the 2.25 QS speed hunters( a ton of them) i am just nervous to test on arrows that run 150/doz. I have also heard that QS vanes are loud. I have never tested it personally.

Ya, I've tried those as well and in a 3-fletch pattern they aren't big enough to stabilize a lot of BH's. I wouldn't expect those to be very loud as they are very low profile. People talk about how loud the 2" QS's are, but I never hear them and the animals have never stayed alive long enough to tell me otherwise. It doesn't matter what you have on your arrow, you can hear them coming and whizzing by if you're down range of the shooter.

I have had good luck with the AAE pro max in a 4 fletch. Only downside for me is they are loud.

I liked the vanetec super spines, however they are not durable for me.

Flex fletch is probably the best and most expensive.

I’m gonna try out some AAE PM 2.3’s.