1st bow for my 7 year old

JonS

WKR
I've got a 7 year old that has done ok with a recurve at the indoor shop. She's only gone once and showed some pretty good skills and had fun.
Last night at the range, there was a bigger kid shooting with his folks that just outgrew his Diamond Atomic compound.
My Kimber has a cheap green compound that is still too long for her.
Do you start your kids on a recurve or compound? If compound, can you beat the below
I can buy the Diamond Atomic from the kids parents with rest, maybe the sight, the quiver and the bow for $100.
Do yo do it?
Thanks,
Jon
She's also toying with the idea of being left handed, eats and writes that way, left eye dominant.
She's only shot right handed as the shop and did well.
Trying not to buy a right handed bow she'll not get to use, any tips on making one happen?

I have two boys ages 6 and 3. They each started with a little toy bow (NXT Generation) and just shot the suction cup tips at targets in the house. We then bought the Atomic for my oldest. The Atomic is a great little bow and should last until my youngest is shooting the compound. For the price you mentioned I would say yes to the Atomic. The only other cost that is not mentioned are arrows and with the money saved with the used Atomic you can order or make arrows that will work great. That is EXCEPT for the last paragraph. If she is left eye dominant, then I would look at a left handed bow. For what its worth, I would have her shoot a recurve left handed and see if it worked/felt better to her. I agree with you, no sense spending money on something that she wont use or doesn't feel right.

I started my girl on a Diamond Nuclear Ice witch is now renamed the Atomic. She picked up on it well at age 5 no problems and the bow fit her until age 10. Id start her shooting on witch ever you plan on having her shoot for the long term be it the recurve or compound , kids adapt quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WKR
Left hand and eye dominant, it seems obvious that she should be shooting a LH bow.

My 8 year old is getting an upgrade this year from the Nuclear Ice which she has outgrown. If it's the same bow, they're really quite small. My girls have had it for 3 years and it was perfect when the youngest was 5 but looks almost like a toy now.

Both her and her sister shoot left handed and have since the beginning. They started on a recurve but once trying the compound, haven't picked up the recurve in a couple of years. It's just more fun to shoot the fast arrow and actually hit the target for them so that's what they shoot.

If you do want to go with the Nuclear Ice, I have a LH one that we'd be willing to sell. I bought it from a guy on here a couple of years ago.

jmez

WKR
Nuclear Ice/Atomic are great starter bows. My boys, 6 and 8 are shooting them. They started with little cheap Bear Recurves and those worked great to get them started. If she is LE dominant I would start her left handed. She will get frustrated othewise, especially if she can't hold her left eye closed.

As for arrows. I've kept every arrow that I break since I started having kids. I just cut them down and they shoot my old ones. They work great and I have dozens of them.

I bought my five year old a diamond atomic 2 years ago. Nice little bow with lots of room for adjustment. It really is a steal at 100 as long as sight rest anf quiver come with it. I think it adjusts from 5 to 40 lbs and it looks like a real compound not like a youth bear.

No matter what you decide as long as you show genuine excitement and interest with your boy then he will enjoy it.

As far as the left hand issue my son is right handed but left eye dominant so he wears an eye patch over his left eye when shooting becaus he can't squint yet. I found thus out as he was launching arrows into the drop ceiling of our finished basement in my makeshift indoor archery range.

Grumman

WKR
If she ever gets into the archery in schools program they are required to use the Genesis bows. They are plain compared to the Diamond’s but tens of thousands of kids are learning fundamentals with them. My boy is right handed and left eye dominant so he is shooting a left hand Genesis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
JonS

JonS

WKR
Lots of good info here, I appreciate it. May get the Atomic for my 4 year old when she gets bigger, she's right handed. PM coming to 307 on the Ice left handed rig.
Thanks all,
Jon

OP
JonS

JonS

WKR
New Ice left handed should be here today, great guy to deal with and lots of appreciation from me to him and all contributors.