Noob questions about if should go back to the local shop

KBC

WKR
Hello,
I don't know much about archery as I'm just getting started so here is my couple questions;

About a month and a half ago I went to a local archery shop that was recommended by a few people on one of my local forums and bought a used bare bow and all the bits for it. I was measured for draw length and it was set up accordingly.

He set the draw weight at 55 lbs but after a little research later I discovered it was a 60-70 lb bow so it looks like the limb bolts were unscrewed a little farther than they should have been at the beginning. This is the first thing I don't have warm and fuzzy feelings about.

I've since screwed them in a bit (equal amounts) and am at 64 lbs currently.

The rest that I had put on is a rip cord and about a month after I bought it, it failed to drop away so the forks broke. I took it in and he had a look at it and couldn't figure out why it didn't work so I had a new one put on for a small price.

EDIT to add a little info from post #4:
I should have included in my first post that the rest didn't drop on the first shot after I increased the draw weight. Maybe they are related but he couldn't see why it didn't drop. The cable off the rest appeared to be tight enough when I brought it in. I don't think any of my rest issues are his fault nor am I upset I had to buy a new part to repair it. Sometimes things just don't work right.

While I was there I brought an arrow I'd shot through the fletching and asked if he could fix it and that was 2.5 weeks ago and I haven't been called yet. Not too big of a deal as it's just an arrow and a couple dollar job. But with my other questions it is starting to bug me a bit. My issue is I asked for another half dozen arrows so he cut 6 more and I went back to the range.

When I got to the range I noticed that the new arrows were a 340 spine and the original arrows (that he had one to measure off of) were a 300 spine. These are the Gold Tip Hunter arrows. I might be new to this but shouldn't they be the same?

I feel like this guy has 3 strikes against him but unfortunately it's basically this place or Cabelas unless I want a bit of a trek to the next archery shop.

Last edited:
Tough call on a few of these. The bottom line is that if you have reservations about the practices or concerns perhaps it is time to go else where. That being said, I will say this. Everyone has been in situations where they no little about a subject and go to someone who has a business or who they have been told know what they are doing. However, we sometimes just go with what we are told or given without asking questions. It is easier said than done but I would go back with your concerns and let him answer his on actions or lack their of.
To answer your questions separately.
1. it is possible to back the limb bolts off to a poundage that is lower than what the bow is set for. I have done this before but I always find specs of what length the bolts are and make sure that it is safe to back them out enough to allow the poundage you are needing but safe to shoot as well. Granted this has been with lighter poundage bows, but I double check anyway. Sounds like you fixed this accordingly.
2. the rest sounds like a malfunction of some sort and there could be any number of reasons. I would guess that it has something to do with the tension of the cable (from rest to the cable). you should be able to see the tension at full draw. I always have someone take a photo or video but you can look at it yourself. I personally always have an arrow in and have a good safe bale or back stop just in case the bow goes off.
3. Yes spine should be the same, but different companies can have different recommendations for spine. Another reason just to ask. Mistakes can be made in the shop when grabbing arrows to set up or cut.
good luck!!!

Sounds a bit suspect, for sure. Everyone makes mistakes though. The arrows should be the same spine though—if that is the correct spine for you. Confirm the correct spine for your draw weight and arrow length. Then if the 300s are the correct ones, ask them replace the ones they gave you with those. I️ wouldn’t really expect call about them fixing one vane so I️ wouldn’t consider that a “strike.” Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

KBC

WKR
Thanks for the reply,

I should have included in my first post that the rest didn't drop on the first shot after I increased the draw weight. Maybe they are related but he couldn't see why it didn't drop. The cable off the rest appeared to be tight enough when I brought it in. I don't think any of my rest issues are his fault nor am I upset I had to buy a new part to repair it. Sometimes things just don't work right.

I was planning on asking about the arrow spine thing when I stop by later this week to ask about the arrow I left to be repaired.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
Sounds a bit suspect, for sure. Everyone makes mistakes though. The arrows should be the same spine though—if that is the correct spine for you. Confirm the correct spine for your draw weight and arrow length. Then if the 300s are the correct ones, ask them replace the ones they gave you with those. I️ wouldn’t really expect call about them fixing one vane so I️ wouldn’t consider that a “strike.” Just my thoughts.

You are correct about the arrow repair. It is a pretty small thing that shouldn't bother me. My real concerns are the limb bolts and the arrow spine differences. Based on GT's chart I should be shooting a 300 spine arrow.

You are correct about the arrow repair. It is a pretty small thing that shouldn't bother me. My real concerns are the limb bolts and the arrow spine differences. Based on GT's chart I should be shooting a 300 spine arrow.

Yeah, I’d be concerned about those things as well. Is he the shop owner? Is there another tech guy there? How far is the next closest bow shop? I would definitely ask them to give you the correct spined arrows, at no cost.

WKR
At 64 lbs, a 300 spine arrow seems really stiff unless you have a really long draw length.

I broke a ripcord before when the little plastic "football" slid up the cable instead of staying put. Serving in the rest cord works much better.

300 spine does sounds stiff for your poundage, but if you asked the shop for the same arrows as you are already shooting they made a mistake. They should be replacing them with what you originally asked for.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
At 64 lbs, a 300 spine arrow seems really stiff unless you have a really long draw length.

I broke a ripcord before when the little plastic "football" slid up the cable instead of staying put. Serving in the rest cord works much better.

I have a 29.5" draw length and they are 30" arrows with 100gr field points. The arrow selector on Gold Tip's site says 300 spine.

He did say that the football sliding could break it but it was still tight and appeared to be in the right spot.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
Yeah, I’d be concerned about those things as well. Is he the shop owner? Is there another tech guy there? How far is the next closest bow shop? I would definitely ask them to give you the correct spined arrows, at no cost.

He is the owner/tech. I think I will see what happens when I go back and question about the arrows. It might be worth the 45 minute drive to the next shop depending on what happens.

Beendare

WKR
He most likely set the initial poundage lower since you are a beginner- makes sense.

Broken rest- these need to be timed to the bow...so yeah, you probably screwed that up.

Arrows- ??? I dunno what he is doing.

I would go back to him and start asking questions. I think its important to understand the 'what' and the 'why'...not just hand it to them and say fix it. If they are willing to explain this stuff to you then great...otherwise, go someplace else. My question is; did he give you any instruction with your new bow? [I hope so]

I bet there are backyard bow techs in your area if you can't find a good shop.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
I took the arrows back today and asked about the difference in spine and he said they should be the same and cut some new ones for me with the correct spine and exchanged them without issue and taking full responsibility for the error.

I'm glad it turned out this way and maybe I shouldn't have posted until after I went back with the arrows but being as inexperienced as I am with archery it was nice to get some opinions on the subject beforehand.
Thanks!

Glad to hear he fixed the arrows for you. No business is mistake free 100% of the time. Making things right when they do mess up is what sets the good ones apart.

MattB

WKR
When you changed the poundage you may have changed the timing of the rest so that may be on you.

The arrow spine mismatch is on them, good to se they corrected the issue.