Ultralight archery tackle

Apapro

FNG
So......I know most guys who hunt high/higher altitudes pay attention to their gear and total weight. When it comes to your bow and attached accessories - do you do the same? or do you just lump what you got?

Mountain rifles are built for specific purpose. Could the same apply to a bow, sights, quiver, arrows, etc.

Looking for some input as to what an acceptable weight would be for a completely outfitted bow with accessories.....whats your gear weighing in at and what would you consider "mountain worthy"??

Thanks for the input.

apapro.

Felix40

WKR
I dont know how you could get under 5lbs but yeah I consider weight when I think about new accessories. No stabilizer helps a lot. It really seems that light bows arent as popular as light rifles.

Trial153

WKR
I built an elite Spirit ( women’s bow), had to swap limb and re-spec cable length ...got it to 28 /67....3.9 pounds and 6.5 loaded. ....

jmez

WKR
I don't worry about the weight on mine. I set it up how I want and then hunt with it. I run a 10 inch B stinger with 4oz weight on the front and that goes to the mountains as well.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My bow is probably on the heavy side, but it's definitely lighter than any other rifle I've ever carried. I've never really given it any thought. I set it up for accuracy and that reigns supreme for me.

I used a lightweight bow for back country hunting for a bit a few years ago. The 2011 Hoyt Carbon Element was the hardest bow to shoot accurately in the field that I have owned.....jumpy cams, relatively short axle to axle length and light physical weight. I've had much better results with a 35-1/4" Prime Rival with a Tight Spot quiver, Black Gold Verdict Ascent sight and Ripcord Code Red rest and no stabilizer. With 5 arrows in the quiver it weighs 6#4oz and I am not looking to lighten up anytime soon. Good luck with your pursuit of a "Mountain Bow".

OR Archer

WKR
I don’t try and go for the lightest setup but not the heaviest either. There’s a good balance to be had. I run a Hoyt Carbon Defiant Turbo. My accessories however are on the heavier side. 10” B Stinger with 9oz of weight on an offset bracket, Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg 5pin, Hamskea rest, and a 7 arrow tight spot. With a full quiver I’m probably around 7#s. A little heavier bow moves less when it’s windy or I’m breathing hard. I can shave weight in other areas.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't weighed mine, but it's a carbon air 32 with QAD rest, axcell 5 pin sight, and no stabilizer, but at the moment I am running a quivalizer. The quivalizer will be changed out for something lighter after this hunting season is done. I am all about lightweight, to the point where I question my 125 grain broad heads, maybe I should shoot 100's ?. Just the no stabilizer is a huge weight reduction, so I kind of think I made up for it. The sight is heavy, and if someone made something decent that weighed less, I would probably buy it.

Mine this past year with 7 arrows and a 15" stab was 6.9lbs... I would like to lighten that up just a touch but it's certainly not necessary. I am going to pack whatever bow I can shoot accurately along no matter what it weighs.

If I wanted the lightest, I suppose I'd switch to a longbow/recurve but that would ultimately deprive me a very heavy pack at least once per hunt and several freezers full of meat at the end of the year :)

FlyGuy

WKR
I'm shooting a Halon with front and side stabs, I don't think there is a heavier set up on the market than that! HaHa. I'd love it to be lighter, but I feel that the weight of the bow increases accuracy, at least for me. If I could shoot a carbon as well as I do this one, sure I'd buy it. But for me it was no contest so I happily took the weight penalty.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

A bow for you to consider is the Mathews Helium. It was named due to its lightweight nature. I love my Helium.

Slim Jim

WKR
I shoot a carbon defiant that is only 3.6 pounds bare bow. I sold my pro defiant 34 because of weight. It was almost a pound heavier and I was starting to have shoulder problems right after I got it. Shoulder feels a lot better now, riser doesn’t get cold, groups actually tightened up, and less weight to carry. All a plus for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Apapro

Apapro

FNG
Thanks for the replies.....I was looking at total wight of the bow and all accessories with arrows.

To follow up I managed to get a setup at 5lbs!!! shoots a 465 gr arrow with 100 gr Iron will solid, 250 spine Killin six with 45 gr brass insert at 320 fps, dialled out to 80 yards. Should make for a sweet carry rig in the mountains!!

brsnow

WKR
I have super light rifles but standard weight bow. For me cons outweigh the pros with bows.