Should I try a back tension/hinge style release?

I've been shooting archery and hunting for three years and during that time i've only used a trigger release. I feel like I'm a decent shot. I've killed two bucks with clean shots. I shoot with back tension and focus on good fundamentals. I don't always exicute a perfect shot, but I'm working on it. I see a lot of "pros" on Instagram and Youtube using them. I'm curious if hinge releases are really that amazing? Does it make you a better shot? Is it worth the money? So tell me, should I make the switch?

Thanks,
Derek.

Bones

WKR
I use my hinge release just to work on good fundamentals. I know a lot of guys hunt with them, but I am not in that crowd. I really appreciated the way it makes me focus and have good fundamentals when practicing, so I go back and forth between that and my carter like mike. When I shoot the like mike with the same process and speed as the hinge, that is when I shoot my best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
Even if you don't hunt with it, learning to shoot a hinge is very valuable to becoming the best archer you can be.

HookUp

WKR
Great choice with the Truball. You should also at some point shoot a tension and thumb button. I have made the most gains as an archer since shooting multiple releases.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not Hookup, but I went with the Dudley combo of Nock-2-it for hunting, and Silverback for training. They are shaped identically, and I find I can transition between the two with no problems now. At first, that was not the case. It takes a lot of work on your form to make a tension release work properly. It did for me anyway.

OP
B
I'm not Hookup, but I went with the Dudley combo of Nock-2-it for hunting, and Silverback for training. They are shaped identically, and I find I can transition between the two with no problems now. At first, that was not the case. It takes a lot of work on your form to make a tension release work properly. It did for me anyway.

Cool man, Love the Nock On Podcast! I've been checking out that combo too. I was wondering on the set up from a wrist strap puncher to back tension release. Do you have to lengthen your d loop and change your peep height? What's the process? My Tru Ball is coming Thursday :)

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
It changes your anchor for sure. I personally had to shorten up my d-loop and raise my peep. I was coming from a wrist strap, can't remember the kind. I like the combo because both hooks are the exact same distance from the exact 2 fingers that you use to anchor, so they feel exactly the same in your hand. Obviously use the same anchor for both, so with enough practise, you can shoot them interchangeably.

noroads

FNG
Yep the nock 2it and silverback are great. I have shot a scott longhorn hinge for a while and I got the silverback release and I thought I was shooting back tension; but the silverback proved that I wasn’t doing it consistently. by practicing with it all summer it has really made my shooting with all releases better. So I highly recommend a resistance activated release. If you can’t find the Dudley releases you can find the Carter evolution and wise choice releases they are essentially the same.