Durable Release

I'm in the market for a new release. I've had a Cobra trigger- style for about 8 years. It's been very durable and consistent enough for me, but it's getting old and the shank is starting to wobble among other things. I'm not the guy who upgrades equipment every year, I find something that works well and stick with it for several years. I'm looking for a release that is consistent and durable. I archery hunt from Aug to Nov every year, and durability is very important. I usually have an extra release with me, but I haven't needed to use it, and don't want to.

mikear

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the market for a new release. I've had a Cobra trigger- style for about 8 years. It's been very durable and consistent enough for me, but it's getting old and the shank is starting to wobble among other things. I'm not the guy who upgrades equipment every year, I find something that works well and stick with it for several years. I'm looking for a release that is consistent and durable. I archery hunt from Aug to Nov every year, and durability is very important. I usually have an extra release with me, but I haven't needed to use it, and don't want to.

What is your budget? There are some very nice trigger style releases available that will treat you well. I switched to a thumb trigger and have 3-4 wrist releases that I don’t use anymore.

As far as wrist releases go, I personally like a release with the head attached with webbing instead of a rigid attachment. That being said, I have a Tru-Fire Chicken Wing that is rigid. It’s pretty nice and flips completely back on your wrist. The wrist strap is very comfortable. Has a single or double trigger post that you can change.

Of those I own, my favorite wrist release is a Scott Silverhorn. It has a nice trigger and the head is attached with webbing. I just wish the wrist strap was more comfortable after shooting for long periods of time. In a hunting situation this is a non issue. When hammering the target I would tend to grab the Chicken Wing due to comfort.

If I was to go back to a wrist I would look at the Carter offerings as they make very nice products.

If you find some good recommendations check out the classifieds here and on Archery Talk. You’ll save some $.

Hope this helps,
Mike

OP
B
Thanks mikear, I have tried the Scott releases too, and found them uncomfortable for extended shooting sessions. I'll take a look at the Carter's, thanks for the info.

elkguide

WKR
Shot a LOT of different releases over the years but the standby/fall back release for me has been and continues to be the Carter Quickie.
(they are made just up the road from you in St. Anthony)

Whisky

WKR
I also like the Carter Quickie. I have used the same release for many years, in all sorts of conditions. I did have 1 failure though. I was trekking (and falling) in some waist deep snow and filled the release up with snow. As the deer were coming in I had my release hand in my pocket and it thawed out a bit. But it was so cold when I went to shoot it froze up and I shot a tree instead of a deer. A couple minutes later it worked fine on another deer.

mikear

Lil-Rokslider
I also like the Carter Quickie. I have used the same release for many years, in all sorts of conditions. I did have 1 failure though. I was trekking (and falling) in some waist deep snow and filled the release up with snow. As the deer were coming in I had my release hand in my pocket and it thawed out a bit. But it was so cold when I went to shoot it froze up and I shot a tree instead of a deer. A couple minutes later it worked fine on another deer.

In all fairness, this probably would have happened to any release, right?

OP
B
Thanks for the replies guys, I ordered a Carter Quickie a few minutes ago after hearing lots of good reviews. Hopefully it holds up as long as my old one.