Which Easton Arrows?

Kcain18

FNG
I had just picked up a Hoyt Nitrum 30, first bow ever, I am not sure which arrows I should use? I have been told to use the Easton Bloodline's also the Aftermath's. Now I am new to bow hunting and have no idea what is what in terms of which is better for deer. I will most likely be shooting the Rage mechanical broadheads from a QAD HDX rest. Any insight helps.

noroads

FNG
I have been shooting the Axis for years and have shot others as well. I like the Axis and the match grade would be an upgrade.

Pramo

WKR
Match grade axis? That would be a dream, I buy two dozen and usually get 13-14 good arrows after spine testing, nock and broadhead tuning.

It's hard to beat an Axis 300 with brass inserts on critters

Dameon

WKR
I recommend the axis as well. I shoot hundreds of arrows a week and thousands over a year. The only arrow I’ve broken is due to a Robin Hood at 30 yards. They are very durable, reasonably straight, reasonably affordable, and have excellent mass per inch for hunting and the combination of weight and having a thinner diameter makes them good for bucking the wind. I didn’t even know they were offered in a match grade. I guess I know what arrows I’m buying next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bloodlines with a 50 grain brass insert is a pretty sweet set up that wont break the bank. shafts are 80-90 a dozen on ebay. i just fletched and tuned a half dozen with my nitrum 30 and bare shafts were within inches of fletched at 20. i used the ot2 android app to dial in my specs its a great resource

OR Archer

WKR
Match grade axis? That would be a dream, I buy two dozen and usually get 13-14 good arrows after spine testing, nock and broadhead tuning.

It's hard to beat an Axis 300 with brass inserts on critters

Yes the new Match Grade Axis and 5mm FMJs will be a .001 straightness tolerance. There's not a huge price jump either which is nice.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yes the new Match Grade Axis and 5mm FMJs will be a .001 straightness tolerance. There's not a huge price jump either which is nice.

Thanks for this info, hadn't heard about them yet. The only reason I haven't been shooting the Axis anymore was because of long range accuracy consistency issues compared to other arrows with the same components. Will have to give them a try.

Just saw the Fmj pro and axis pro are already in stock at Lancaster for you guys that were looking to try them out

OP
K

Kcain18

FNG
Where I get confused with arrows is shaft size. I guess I'm looking for one that'll work on both deer and elk. I know they have a bunch of different shafts with 4-5 or more shaft sizes?

Where I get confused with arrows is shaft size. I guess I'm looking for one that'll work on both deer and elk. I know they have a bunch of different shafts with 4-5 or more shaft sizes?

you were planning on shooting an elk with a rage with a 50 lb bow and 27 inch draw? i suggest some kind of single bevel broadhead that will give you way better penetration than a mechanical with your poundage and draw length.

for arrow shaft the heavier axis would probably best for you to get your momentum up. as for size i ran your setup on the ot2 app (rly great for android for messing around with potential arrow setups), if you shoot the standard insert with a 100 grain head and easton axis 500 cut to 26.5 and shooting your nitrum 30 at 26.5 and 50lbs would be a perfect spine match. it says numbers will be around 246 fps ke 46 foc 14.6 mo .378

or you could go way heavier, slower but with more ke and momentum and punch.
you would need your bow at 27 50#. would be a 400 spine easton axis with 125 grain broadhead, cut to 28 inches, 75 grain HIT brass weight, you have to shoot all that weight up front otherwise you will be too stiff. brass hit weights are around an extra 20$ on ebay) numbers around 219 fps ke 50 mo .455 19.49 foc

in my opinion if i was in your shoes i would shoot the second one for big game. heavier arrow will be quieter too. forget about the speed. quieter is better. an extra 25 fps wouldnt beat the speed of sound. id be interested with what others think but screw a 125 single bevel head and i think you will be good to go. downside would be you wont shoot as flat but just practice a lot and practice judging yardage. hope that helps

Last edited:

noroads

FNG
Yes a small bump in price on the pro grade Axis which is another plus. I’ll be ordering some up soon. I like the brass inserts for heavy weight up front.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
in my opinion if i was in your shoes i would shoot the second one for big game. heavier arrow will be quieter too. forget about the speed. quieter is better. an extra 25 fps wouldnt beat the speed of sound. id be interested with what others think but screw a 125 single bevel head and i think you will be good to go. downside would be you wont shoot as flat but just practice a lot and practice judging yardage. hope that helps

And then limit your shot distance.

Trial153

WKR
My favoite Easton arrows are ACC's. Been using them for years and dispite trying just about everything else they are still near the top.
I have had no luck with the Axis, tolerances have been terrible. I rule out any .166 id shaft that requires outserts or deep six.
Hexx and Datourch are serviceable for hunting with brass up front to get enough weight. So are 5mm FMJ.

I have been shooting the ACC's out of my bow for many years and they work great. Very accurate and very durable, no complaints what so ever, I will be getting more shortly.

OP
K

Kcain18

FNG
you were planning on shooting an elk with a rage with a 50 lb bow and 27 inch draw? i suggest some kind of single bevel broadhead that will give you way better penetration than a mechanical with your poundage and draw length.

for arrow shaft the heavier axis would probably best for you to get your momentum up. as for size i ran your setup on the ot2 app (rly great for android for messing around with potential arrow setups), if you shoot the standard insert with a 100 grain head and easton axis 500 cut to 26.5 and shooting your nitrum 30 at 26.5 and 50lbs would be a perfect spine match. it says numbers will be around 246 fps ke 46 foc 14.6 mo .378

or you could go way heavier, slower but with more ke and momentum and punch.
you would need your bow at 27 50#. would be a 400 spine easton axis with 125 grain broadhead, cut to 28 inches, 75 grain HIT brass weight, you have to shoot all that weight up front otherwise you will be too stiff. brass hit weights are around an extra 20$ on ebay) numbers around 219 fps ke 50 mo .455 19.49 foc

So when you say a heavier shaft i was looking at them on the easton website on the axis, it goes from a 6.1 GPI to a 11.5 GPI but the sizes are different. So I am not sure which is heavier. Again I am new to bow hunting and grew up with the only hunter in the family passing away at the age of 7.