Which Easton Arrows?

So when you say a heavier shaft i was looking at them on the easton website on the axis, it goes from a 6.1 GPI to a 11.5 GPI but the sizes are different. So I am not sure which is heavier. Again I am new to bow hunting and grew up with the only hunter in the family passing away at the age of 7.

this will help you understand arrows a little bit better. Carbon Arrow Basics & Measurement Standards, Research Guide | Chapter 1

basically the easton axis shaft is heavier in relation to other easton arrows. you match the spine of the arrow (700, 600, 500, 400, 340, 300, 300, 260) to your draw weight and length and bow cam. if you shoot a lighter poundage you want a weaker spine (on easton website the size or spine). with easton the higher the number the weaker the spine. so 700 spine is 6.1, 260 (their stiffest) is 11.5. based off your draw length and weight you want either a 400 or 500 spine, so you can shoot either the previous scenarios i mentioned.

OP
K

Kcain18

FNG
this will help you understand arrows a little bit better. Carbon Arrow Basics & Measurement Standards, Research Guide | Chapter 1

basically the easton axis shaft is heavier in relation to other easton arrows. you match the spine of the arrow (700, 600, 500, 400, 340, 300, 300, 260) to your draw weight and length and bow cam. if you shoot a lighter poundage you want a weaker spine (on easton website the size or spine). with easton the higher the number the weaker the spine. so 700 spine is 6.1, 260 (their stiffest) is 11.5. based off your draw length and weight you want either a 400 or 500 spine, so you can shoot either the previous scenarios i mentioned.

That makes much more sense sorry you had to dumb it down that far for me haha, but that is honestly very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you have a slower bow I'd get the Axis Match

If you have a fast bow I'd shoot the 5mm FMJ Match

I wouldn't shoot FMJ's again if they gave them to me.......especially with a fast bow.

As a newbie to arrows.......the first thing you need to narrow down is the spine that you need (good pro shop, archery software will ballpark you). Then you need to figure out what weight arrow you want to be shooting. Then you can work backwards to find what grain per inch (GPI) arrows will get you there. And that will also depend on which vanes, nocks, and inserts you use. You can also add weight by using different inserts or GT has a very effective system (FACT) for adding weight to the back end of their inserts. Lots of archers use GT's Hunter, XT, and Pro series arrows with great success as well. The hunters have the lowest build tolerances, while the XT's are middle of the road, and the Pro's have the tighter tolerances.....similar now to Easton's Axis and "Match" Axis.

Last edited:

Gumbo

WKR
Axis are tough arrows but as stated earlier the tolerances are not good. I've had better luck with Aftermaths. BUT, look into Black Eagle Rampages (with Easton HIT Brass inserts), not as durable but less expensive and FAR better tolerances. Spin and weigh a dozen Axis vs Rampages and you will see. Don't even get me started on Gold Tips, I threw away a dozen Kaos shafts because the tolerances and wall thickness were so inconsistent. To be fair those are the only gold tips I've played with, but will be the last.

DavePwns

WKR
Always buy the best shafts you can afford, arrows are so much cheaper than ammo if you buy quality since you can obviously reuse them for literally hundreds of shots if target practicing. Just make sure you have a an FOC of ~10-13%, choose the right spine for your bow poundage, drawlength, and bow speed and you will be good to go. Note that the heavier the arrow the more momentum it has which = superior penetration, not kinetic energy or arrow speed which help but are not as equivalent to penetration as compared to momentum.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

OP
K

Kcain18

FNG
Thanks for all the help I found a great deal on some Easton Carbon Injexions at BPS picked up some of those and will be having them cut and fletched this weekend

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you have a slower bow I'd get the Axis Match

If you have a fast bow I'd shoot the 5mm FMJ Match

Can you clarify this for me please? Why does the Axis match better to a slower bow? I’m also researching which arrow to go to

Firehawk

WKR
Nitrum 30 is running at 332fps not sure eactly what is consider a "slow bow?"

At 332fps, you would need to be shooting at a longer draw length, 70#s, and a pretty light arrow to reach the "advertised" speeds. Unless you shoot those exact specs, you will shoot a different speed than the advertising specs. Not sure if you realized this, but based on your question above I thought you may need to know that.

But to give you an idea, I shoot a 70# bow, set at 66#s and 27.5" Draw Length. With the 330 spine Carbon Injexion arrows I shoot, cut at 27" with a 100 grain head I get about 270 fps. That arrow weighs 422 grains the way I have it set up, if I remember correctly.

FH

OP
K

Kcain18

FNG
At 332fps, you would need to be shooting at a longer draw length, 70#s, and a pretty light arrow to reach the "advertised" speeds. Unless you shoot those exact specs, you will shoot a different speed than the advertising specs. Not sure if you realized this, but based on your question above I thought you may need to know that.

But to give you an idea, I shoot a 70# bow, set at 66#s and 27.5" Draw Length. With the 330 spine Carbon Injexion arrows I shoot, cut at 27" with a 100 grain head I get about 270 fps. That arrow weighs 422 grains the way I have it set up, if I remember correctly.

FH

Yeah, I looked into the FPS deeper and realized that, I guess what i meant from my "Not sure what is considered a slower bow" was from factory specs. I know every bow and setup for arrows will be different. It'll be interesting to see final FPS on my set up after I get the arrows cut and start shooting it.

Zac

WKR
You may want to look at the new 6.5 Bow hunter. You don't have to mess around with the HIT insert.

I have shot the regular Axis for a few years, they are a great arrow. I just purchased a dozen of the match grade to try out. Other than that, I love the ACC arrows. They were originally what I was going to buy this go round but got such a great price on the Axis match grade I just couldn't pass on them.

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
I Have always ran Easton arrows started with axis 340s went to fmj 340s and now at axis match 300s

I can say this- get the match grade in whatever you get. Paying extra to get something the way it should be per its advertising is a sloppy bad look for Easton if you ask me. But it seems to be the way of the world..

MNMatt

FNG
Shot 340 Axis Pro and love them. Fletched in AAE Max Stealth 4 vanes. Wife shots 400 Axis Pro. Use for both elk & deer, worth the investment.