Broadhead alignment question

jm1607

WKR
If u had a 2-blade solid Broadhead, say something like the Ironwill, ideally would u rather have the widest part of the blade oriented vertically or horizontally on the arrow?

I know it doesn't really matter unless you're shooting very long ranges, but I'm just curious...

TheTone

WKR
I've shot a two blade style (magnus stingers) for 12 years or so and never worried about how the broadhead was oriented to the bow or my fletching. I just make sure they spin well by having a broadhead on when I install the inserts and have pretty much always been good to go.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I know it doesn't really matter unless you're shooting very long ranges, but I'm just curious...

Why would the distance matter?

I've never seen a difference no matter the BH orientation of any BH's and I shoot BH's year round out to 100 yards. The only thing I verify is clearance of the shelf and riser because mine are over the shelf.

Beendare

WKR
The crucial part is not the BH being vertical or horizontal...but that it is centered on the arrow- ie, it spins perfect.
I use a jig to check them.

Experimenting a little, somewhere between .003" and .004" I can't see the wobble when spinning on a table [YMMV]. Think about it; if your arrow is off by .004" on the steering end....that can make a big difference in BH arrow flight [and its proved out in my testing]

Orientation doesn't matter....but straightness matters a lot.

The crucial part is not the BH being vertical or horizontal...but that it is centered on the arrow- ie, it spins perfect.

Experimenting a little, somewhere between .003" and .004" I can't see the wobble when spinning on a table [YMMV]. Think about it; if your arrow is off by .004" on the steering end....that can make a big difference in BH arrow flight [and its proved out in my testing]

agreed

Back in the days of finger shooting, broadhead orientation with big 2 blade heads like Zwickey Deltas did matter with archer's paradox (shaft bending around the riser/rest) in my tests. Not anymore in my testing with modern release shot bows with drop away rests and minimal cross section broadheads.

Make sure the broadhead spins true on the arrow and also that the arrow spine is oriented the same direction on each shaft and your broadhead will end up however it wants for orientation. The important parts are spine orientation of the arrow and broadhead alignment with the arrow shaft (spins true)

Beendare

WKR
Funny story; one of my hunt buddies years ago showed up with these old savorra heads that he got from a garage sale. FYI these are a longer chisel point design with replaceable blades. Well the blades were a little dull from sitting for probably 20 years...a little rust, etc...so he touched them up on the arrow with a diamond stone.

he put them in his quiver without spinning and after much debate I had him shoot a couple that you could just tell had a tiny wobble. He was lucky to hold a 30yd 12" group or so [long ago!]

So we trued up some of his heads on my homemade jig and he shot them again- 3" group.....in fact he surprised himself how good of a shot he really was! Tuned equipment will do that!

GotDraw?

WKR
Well tuned bow?

I shoot Magnus Stinger 2 blades and for bigger critters, Iron Will. Neither broadhead type seems to be affected by orientation, even though some of my broadheads are verticals that identify as horizontals and some are horizontals that identify as verticals.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I shoot Iron Will broadheads almost every day and haven't noticed any difference between vertical, horizontal, or 45 degree angle.

dtrkyman

WKR
I prefer to have them all at the same starting point, I use them at a vertical starting point because it is easy to set up that way. Randy Ulmer has a video on this, i always have done it and see no downside to it.

LDJ

FNG

What kind of Jig do you use to check your broadheads?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are shooting fingers, it certainly can matter, but if shooting a release, it is not as critical as their alignment in the arrow.