Buying a used bow online. Good or bad idea?

TheCougar

WKR
I’m looking to buy a used Centergy, but my local shop doesn’t have any. I’m looking to the internets to help out. So far, ArcheryTalk and eBay seem like the best places to get a used bow. I’m wary of buying a used bow online... you never know what kind of person is on the other end of the keyboard. Any recommendations on places to buy from, ways to protect yourself from fraud or damaged/defective product, etc? Good experiences and bad ones? Any other nuggets of wisdom?

Ive bought many off AT (6 or so) . I read the seller reviews and paypal do not use fnf . Ive had good luck with every transaction. There are a bunch of guys that sell bows after each season to get the latest and greatest. My current bow i got off of ebay , got a great deal and was as described. You just have to be selective and if the deal is too good to be true , it probably is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
I got one off of AT last year. Best advice I can give is check how long the person has been on the forum, and what their user feedback is. Make sure that if you use PayPal that you use goods and services. Ask any question about the bow you have, if they aren’t wanting to give up much information, or give out their personal number that’s a red flag for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colersu22

WKR
I have had good luck with used bows, I bought my alphamax on AT and it was in great shape and the guy was honest and sent me tons of pics. I have bought another alphamax on here and again it was on great shape and no problems. I helped my buddy but a nitrum off here too and Mark was a great guy to deal with and again no problems with the bow. Maybe I have been lucky going 3/3 but I figured if I pay goods and services if something is not what the seller says and they won’t help fix it then I could always file a claim with PayPal. Lots of good advice above, AT is probably the biggest place online to pick up a used bow.

I have purchased several off of AT. Most guys are pretty trustworthy, I haven't been disappointed yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
For sure. Your better off burning your money then buying new bows, the heat last longer then their value.
The archery industy is has a disgusting retail model. It kills retailers with a yearly devaluing of their inventory. They are do for a serious correction.

weaver

WKR
Haven't gotten one of eBay but have bought 4 or 5 of archerytalk. No problems at all. Just make sure the seller is reputable.
If you're not equipped to service the bow yourself I would buy a year old model from a good local proshop.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Kcain18

FNG
I had a good experience buying my first bow from AT came in fully bubble wrapped no damage. The seller sent more detailed pictures than I asked for which made me feel better in the purchase of my very first bow. Cant wait to get it out and shoot in soon. It was a heck of a deal as well and couldn't pass it up!

WKR
I have purchased 4-5 bows from AT. I've always had good luck. I do tend to stick to the sellers with more reputation on the line. Higher feedback numbers generally give me confidence. I also pay only with paypal goods and services. I type exactly what is involved with the transaction, describe the item(s) fully so that there's a clear record of my expectation attached to the money transfer.

I service my own equipment though and would not be nearly as prone to buying used if I couldn't do work on my bows myself. Buying one online and then taking it to your shop may cause a bit of hard feelings depending on the shop.

Sodbuster

WKR
Trial153
For sure. Your better off burning your money then buying new bows, the heat last longer then their value.
The archery industy is has a disgusting retail model. It kills retailers with a yearly devaluing of their inventory. They are do for a serious correction.

This ^^^^^ ^^^ is why I have bought many one year old flagship bows off on AT.
Excellent information provided from the guys above about how to purchase a bow from there without getting into trouble.

Look at the sellers feedback. It is accurate.
PM the seller and get a phone number. Texting,or better yet talking is the best way to communicate.
Get all your questions answered before buying.
Paypal goods and services as payment offers you some protection.

Lots of good compound bows out there.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
My last 3 bows were all of Archery Talk, 2 of them (including the Halon I shoot now) were not even a year old and $300 under what a new one on the shelf would cost.

No issues with any of them, and how I'll continue to buy them.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve bought and traded several off AT and bought eBay as well. Do your research and ask questions and for pictures. Be confident on what you are buying any doubt don’t buy, there will be another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk