Garmin sight!

My buddy was one of only a handful few who got to use it this fall. I was completely skeptical of it at first when he was talking about it but seeing it first hand changed my mind.

You can set he sights to adjust to the animal which is awesome or you can use it in a fixed setup. Similar to a red dot scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty neat. Not sure I could ever trust a completely electronic sight as my only means of aiming/shooting the bow, especially on a back country hunt. You have nothing if it fails.

Based on my experience with Garmin's dog tracking systems I would be really hesitant to jump right into any new technology/devices that they come out with.

Military uses electronic sights like Eotech all the time. Pretty sure if they’re willing to risk their life on a similar technology that you’d be safe with it on an elk hunt.

How about rain/snow/dust/dirt and mud on the lens? Seems like it would be as much a pita as hunting with a lens on your scope is, not worse since you can just unscrew the lense and clean it or leave it off. I know none of us care about the size of the animals we shoot, but I suspect Pope and Young will have something to say about it.

It’s just like any sight screen. Just wash it off with a lens cloth similar to your binos.

texag10

WKR
Military uses electronic sights like Eotech all the time. Pretty sure if they’re willing to risk their life on a similar technology that you’d be safe with it on an elk hunt.

While I agree that there are electronic aiming devices that are very rugged and durable, choosing eotech as an example might not be the best given the zero shift debacle.

I am interested to see how this turns out. Saying something is a bad idea because some idiot could think it makes them more effective than they are is a weak argument in my book. Those who don't put in the work to shoot well aren't suddenly going to be shooting the wings off of flies at 80 with this sight.

I am interested to see how this turns out. Saying something is a bad idea because some idiot could think it makes them more effective than they are is a weak argument in my book. Those who don't put in the work to shoot well aren't suddenly going to be shooting the wings off of flies at 80 with this sight.

Agreed. The archer still has to practice and be proficient in their trade.

OR Archer

WKR
I like the forward thinking on this. I would have concerns about the durability of this sight though. Also as many people know a rangefinder doesn't work very well in rain, snow, and especially fog. Not to mention rain and snow don't work well with any lens. So there are some draw backs in my opinion on this sight.

I wonder what the G7 BC of a 385 grain Black Eagle Deep Impact shaft at 29" is with 3 blade 100 grain muzzy and 3 right helical fletchings! LMAO

Same thing as turrets on a riflescope and a Sig Kilo2400 ABS or Gunwerks G7 rangefinder. I'd love to try one as well! Though the theory of practice makes perfect is only amplified with archery compared to LR rifle shooting.

Mike

I like the forward thinking on this. I would have concerns about the durability of this sight though. Also as many people know a rangefinder doesn't work very well in rain, snow, and especially fog. Not to mention rain and snow don't work well with any lens. So there are some draw backs in my opinion on this sight.

You can set it up in a mode that doesn’t rely on the range finder for the pins. It can act just like your standard site if you don’t want to utilize the auto adjustment features.

3forks

WKR
Pretty neat. Not sure I could ever trust a completely electronic sight as my only means of aiming/shooting the bow, especially on a back country hunt. You have nothing if it fails.

Based on my experience with Garmin's dog tracking systems I would be really hesitant to jump right into any new technology/devices that they come out with.

I'm with you.

I like big running dogs and got garmin tracking collars as soon as they came out. They were an improvement over telemetry collars, but reliability left a lot to be desired. I've had numerous revisions of their collars and they all have had reliability issues.

I also use garmin cycling computers and heart rate monitors... reliability is an issue with those, too.

Lawnboi

WKR
I wonder what the G7 BC of a 385 grain Black Eagle Deep Impact shaft at 29" is with 3 blade 100 grain muzzy and 3 right helical fletchings! LMAO

Same thing as turrets on a riflescope and a Sig Kilo2400 ABS or Gunwerks G7 rangefinder. I'd love to try one as well! Though the theory of practice makes perfect is only amplified with archery compared to LR rifle shooting.

Mike

This would be like one of those rangefinders built into the scope and dials automatically.

OR Archer

WKR
You can set it up in a mode that doesn’t rely on the range finder for the pins. It can act just like your standard site if you don’t want to utilize the auto adjustment features.

Yes but there’s still a glass lens that’s susceptible to rain, snow, and dirt. Not to mention breaking if you take a hard fall.

FlyGuy

WKR
Anyone know what this weighs? It looks like it weighs a ton. Price of $999, Yikes! Not me.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Can you set it up so it doesn't rely on batteries or electronics at all?

I'm on my fourth Garmin dog tracking system in less than a year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ten Bears

WKR
It runs on AA from what I understand.

I have had nothing but great results from my Garmin Dog units.

Not being able to use it out west is the deal breaker.

HookUp

WKR
What happened to primitive weapon? I archery hunt for the challenges.

Getting close to animals is the challenge of bow hunting. Considering the developments that have happened with modern firearms with hunters shooting over a mile accurately at animals, a range finding sight is a minor enhancement. Any equipment that leads to a quicker way to range an animal provides for more ethical shot placement, quicker kill, higher game recovery rate and reduced suffering to the animal. Archery should not be about trad hunting or equipment restrictions to appease the ethical feelings of others.

These same western states who do not allow bow mounted rangefinders should limit range finding scopes for rifle hunters, optical magnification over 10x, illuminated recticles and outlaw muzzle breaks if they are wishing to restrict modern technological advancements in hunting.