Garmin sight!

dotman

WKR
What happened to primitive weapon? I archery hunt for the challenges.

This is an old argment, do you travel by horse and buggy only as well? Kind of an advantage if you can drive anywhere you want easily to get to game. This product doesn't track down the game, doesn't glide you up and down the mountains and it surely doesn't hold your bow for you or make you determine if you have an ethical shot. Not sure how it aids you in stalking but it must somehow.

P&Y is an outdated org that believes they are above others, sad states regulated their game laws to their whims based on requirements they have to get your trophy listed in their records.

The only reason to look down on this product , well really I don't know what one would logically be. It cant do a single thing for you other then provide an accurate gauge to shoot from, you'll stil have to practice, place the pin or led in the kill zone and hold steady, everything else about the hunt this isn't even involved in. It does remove one aspect, predetermined ranges you base on markers or ranging as game is within range possibly putting them on alert yet not running away.

Now all that said, I think it's neat but doubt I would use one.

Last edited:
Also was bitter with Garmin for some time after they bought tritronics and proceeded to F up the best electronic dog collars out there.

big44a4

WKR
For the argument of making bow hunting easy...this sight does nothing that isn’t already being done. Just combines two separate actions into one. So possibly can get a shot off in a shorter window of time that before doing the two steps separate might not have allowed you to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mtnboy

WKR
Wow, I can't believe how many people are in support of this being legal.

What's next, laser guided arrows?

Where do we draw the line?

I for one am glad as hell this isn't legal in the West. I also agree with someone above that we need a lot more limits on rifle equipment nowadays as well.

Can't continually improve the pump and not the well...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mrgreen

WKR
Hey, I was mostly surprised to think that Garmin must have Enginerds that bow hunt!

I understand that most seasons are over and we're bored, but does every thread about new technology have to follow this 'ruination of bowhunting' pattern?

If you don't like it don't use it. Heck, I think it's very interesting-but I don't think I'll be using it.

Ha, I just saved about $1000.

Eagle

WKR
I think this is why they have amped up the wearables line. Between that and the InReach hopefully they can stay in the game. They also make an alternative to GoPro that I rarely hear anything about....

Garmin will be fine. I'm relatively sure that their largest customer is the aircraft industry, both fixed and rotary wing. I'm amazed they are delving this deeply into archery and the like, but I'm glad they continue to push the envelope. I'm torn on this specific item, as I feel it could be an awesome tool for limiting wounded game, but I like to adhere to KISS, and this flies in the face of that with you relying 100% on an electronic device in the elements to allow you to make a shot at an animal. Maybe the reliability aspect will prove to be an unnecessary concern, but seems like the main issue to me.

jmez

WKR
All it is is a range finder and slider combined into the same device. It doesn't shoot the bow for you, I don't think it will make anyone more accurate. Hold a pin on target and make the shot, hold an LED light on the target and make the shot.

dotman

WKR
Wow, I can't believe how many people are in support of this being legal.

What's next, laser guided arrows?

Where do we draw the line?

I for one am glad as hell this isn't legal in the West. I also agree with someone above that we need a lot more limits on rifle equipment nowadays as well.

Can't continually improve the pump and not the well...

Just a simple question, do you use a range finder at all? Cause if your against this I hope you don’t use one. This only provides you information to make your own decision, it doesn’t do anything else.

mrgreen

WKR
All it is is a range finder and slider combined into the same device. It doesn't shoot the bow for you, I don't think it will make anyone more accurate. Hold a pin on target and make the shot, hold an LED light on the target and make the shot.

I agree.

I can see it for Whitetail hunters where the deer have learned to look up. It's a lot less movement to get an accurate range then shoot.

dotman

WKR
Garmin will be fine. I'm relatively sure that their largest customer is the aircraft industry, both fixed and rotary wing. I'm amazed they are delving this deeply into archery and the like, but I'm glad they continue to push the envelope. I'm torn on this specific item, as I feel it could be an awesome tool for limiting wounded game, but I like to adhere to KISS, and this flies in the face of that with you relying 100% on an electronic device in the elements to allow you to make a shot at an animal. Maybe the reliability aspect will prove to be an unnecessary concern, but seems like the main issue to me.

Hand held devices are a very small part of their revenue stream.

Just think of it this way, if it fails now your closer to trad status, you’ll still have an advantage they’ll say since you have training wheels.

Mtnboy

WKR
Just a simple question, do you use a range finder at all? Cause if your against this I hope you don’t use one. This only provides you information to make your own decision, it doesn’t do anything else.

It takes a whole step out of the equation. No more having to plan ahead and range objects before an animal comes in or having to be stealth enough to range once they are within view. Now just draw back, let the site decide how far it is and let it fly.

To each their own I guess...but in my opinion, technology is going too far. I also agree with the post (although maybe they were being sarcastic) that it's time to put more limits on rifle/scope technology too.

We are continually improving technology which allows us to be more effective, eventually when technology has gone so far that too many people are effective....well, we're going to start losing opportunity.

To answer your question, yes I use a rangefinder. That said, if they wanted to make them illegal, I'd probably support it.

It takes a whole step out of the equation. No more having to plan ahead and range objects before an animal comes in or having to be stealth enough to range once they are within view. Now just draw back, let the site decide how far it is and let it fly.

To each their own I guess...but in my opinion, technology is going too far. I also agree with the post (although maybe they were being sarcastic) that it's time to put more limits on rifle/scope technology too.

We are continually improving technology which allows us to be more effective, eventually when technology has gone so far that too many people are effective....well, we're going to start losing opportunity.

To answer your question, yes I use a rangefinder. That said, if they wanted to make them illegal, I'd probably support it.

Range finders were the best thing to ever happen to game animals since the invention of a sharp stick so they didn't have to be bludgeoned to death anymore.

Mtnboy

WKR
Range finders were the best thing to ever happen to game animals since the invention of a sharp stick so they didn't have to be bludgeoned to death anymore.
Yeah, it's so awesome for people to be able to range and shoot animals from the next county....I'm sure the animals love it.

dotman

WKR

And if it reduces wounded game are you still against it? Or would you prefer people wound game over using technology? Unfortunately many don’t wait for that perfect shot and take risky shots, no stopping them as it isn’t illegal to wound and lose an animal.

dotman

WKR
Yeah, it's so awesome for people to be able to range and shoot animals from the next county....I'm sure the animals love it.

If they die fast I’m sure they do :). If they get gut shot I’m sure they don’t.

Mtnboy

WKR
Getting gut shot is a side to side issue not up and down, so how do rangefinders prevent that?

I'd say they encourage it because people are more confident taking shots they aren't qualified for if they know an exact range.

Safe to say we aren't gonna change each other's mind. I'm just glad that Game Depts in the West agree with me and have outlawed this.

Hell, a drone mounted gun with a camera would lead to a lot less wounded animals, should we allow that?

jmez

WKR
I'm sure the animals really wouldn't care, if they were capable of cognitive thought, if they were shot and killed from 12 feet or the next county.

Pretty neat concept. But not thanks. Seems like another thing that takes batteries that has the potential to die while your out hunting