Garmin sight!

dotman

WKR
Yeah that could be true but how many people do you think guess the range and then shoot? We know many do it and they shoot over or under the animal. I don’t think many range when an animal is within 40 yards, they have either ranged to certain trees or lanes or try to guess, so the ranging aspect at the shot for most has been removed. This will just make that more accurate.

Now if it was a device where you just place the dot and it guided the arrow I would be completely against it. All this does is make us more ethical and take less risky of shots and no more guessing. I get trad guys like to guess their range and aiming points but is that really ethical?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very interesting concept. I am not sure i would trust a back country hunt to it though. The lens is the issue for me as I dont know how durable it is, would it break it i fell on it? How does the rangefinder work in rain, snow and fog? Can you adjust the brightness or is it automatic only. And does it hold it's "zero?" I presume you sight in two marks like most and input the information to have it calculate your point of aim, can that change with a hard fall? Does it have a memory if you change your batteries or do you have to re sight it in?

Time will tell and I will be watching to see how it performs. I will be very interested to see what Shane says about it.

dotman

WKR
Very interesting concept. I am not sure i would trust a back country hunt to it though. The lens is the issue for me as I dont know how durable it is, would it break it i fell on it? How does the rangefinder work in rain, snow and fog? Can you adjust the brightness or is it automatic only. And does it hold it's "zero?" I presume you sight in two marks like most and input the information to have it calculate your point of aim, can that change with a hard fall? Does it have a memory if you change your batteries or do you have to re sight it in?

Time will tell and I will be watching to see how it performs. I will be very interested to see what Shane says about it.

Will it work in the cold and hold a long battery charge, that’s always my concern with electronics. Heck the new IPhone X isn’t designed to work below freezing and many had issues with the cold in Dec. My screen even crapped out, not sure how I feel with it being my gps but I always have maps as a backup.

OR Archer

WKR
Well for guys who like this idea, IQ Bowsights introduced a fixed pin with a laser rangefinder built in. You’re going to probably see more of this idea start popping up.

kicker338

WKR
My biggest concern is just how far this concept will go. Right now you still have to aim and pull the trigger with this sight. A yr. or 2 ago a company came out with a computer controlled aiming and firing system for guns, I watched a news guy on fox news who had never fired a gun hit a target at 1,000yds. All you have to do with this gun is get the cross hairs floating around the target then pull the trigger. The gun wont fire until the cross hairs are pretty much centered on the target then the computer fires the gun, very similar to what fighter jet pilots do. At what point with todays wireless technology when will some company come out with a release that all you do is draw the bow and aim at your target and pull the trigger with the same results as the gun. Shooting at a target is one thing, shooting at a game animal is something els.

Getting gut shot is a side to side issue not up and down, so how do rangefinders prevent that?

I'd say they encourage it because people are more confident taking shots they aren't qualified for if they know an exact range.

Safe to say we aren't gonna change each other's mind. I'm just glad that Game Depts in the West agree with me and have outlawed this.

Hell, a drone mounted gun with a camera would lead to a lot less wounded animals, should we allow that?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That is fairly braggadocious don't you think? They didn't really agree with you so much as already have laws on the books about electronic devices in the first place not this specific device, unless I am mistaken.

Guys have been taking shots they were not qualified for since the beginning of time, the invent of the range finder didn't exacerbate that fact, and my not so technical anecdotal evidence is I hear of a lot less horror stories of wounded game because of miss-judged yardage then I did in the days aluminum arrows and overdraws, because everyone in their mother was trying to get as fast an arrow as possible to eliminate the need for exact yardage judgment.

Whats made guys take even longer shots is not knowing the yardage as much as having the ability and belief that if they connect at that yardage the arrow will still do the job.

That has been created by massive mechanical technology. More efficient bows, carbon arrows, Higher left offs, more accurate rests and sights. the list can go on and on. All this has attributed to peoples perception of their increase in effective range. I would argue that slider sites are much worse than rangefinders for giving the guys the balls to take 120 yard pot shots.

Your talking about a technology that doesn't make a hill of beans in the situations your talking about. if I am 100 yards away from a deer does it even matter where my rangefinder is? it could be in the top pocket of my pack, in my pants pocket, wherever, and I am still going to have time to range and shoot. so putting it in the sight on the bow doesn't make any difference in the situations that your upset about.

Define when technology has gone to far in your mind? because a lot of guys would argue the modern compound has already exceeded that threshold.

Its CLEAR this was developed for whitetail stand guys, and I bet they will love this thing. Garmin isnt a bunch of idiots, they already new this wouldn't be legal on the western side of the country , but again, its not really solving a problem we have is it?

Id use the shit out of this in 3d tournaments, but with my experience with Garmin, and especially the first gen of something they produce, id never take this on anything more then a day hunt.

What's next electronic bows with stabilization and robotic limbs, sights with wind compensation built in, then a release with a timed electronic trigger, an arrow that hits exactly where your laser was ranged?

Keep electronics off the bows and arrows. The challenge of a clean kill goes away with electronics. It's about fair chase more than anything. Once you open this door, companies with try to capitalize. Get that bow on a tripod, long distance 1000 yard archery shots here we come! Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gumbo

WKR
I would argue the average guy would be less accurate with the Garmin. It looks heavy, and if so more cant to fight at full draw, or more stabilization to offset the extra weight. Second, the trigger and activating it at full draw could also affect grip and induce torque. When I see them shoot that thing in the videos the first thing I saw was the bow swinging to the side after the shot. A good archer could compensate, but your average joe probably couldn't. I have thought this would be the wave of the future for some time but it needs to be more compact and some design tweaking. One thing I didn't see were axis adjustments...

boom

WKR
without debating right or wrong..there is no debate the technology is pretty badass.

dotman

WKR
I would argue the average guy would be less accurate with the Garmin. It looks heavy, and if so more cant to fight at full draw, or more stabilization to offset the extra weight. Second, the trigger and activating it at full draw could also affect grip and induce torque. When I see them shoot that thing in the videos the first thing I saw was the bow swinging to the side after the shot. A good archer could compensate, but your average joe probably couldn't. I have thought this would be the wave of the future for some time but it needs to be more compact and some design tweaking. One thing I didn't see were axis adjustments...

Weight is 14oz according to S&S Archery. I believe all it is to activate it is a little button on the grip. I think it would just take some getting used to. I do wonder if once activated is it in a scan mode so if an animal moves and your drawn do you have to reclick it for an updated range/pin or does it adjust as you move and how long is it active before you have to click it again.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I watched a couple videos on it from ata impressive piece of equipment. I think it would make me more successful luckily it'll never legal in most states I hunt in. Price tag will keep it out of reach for most users anyway. This technology will only get cheaper and more common maybe I better join p&y to draw a line in the sand.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

texag10

WKR
I can't wait to see an able bodied person that has hunted with a crossbow during an archery season call this a step too far.

Gumbo

WKR
Weight is 14oz according to S&S Archery. I believe all it is to activate it is a little button on the grip. I think it would just take some getting used to. I do wonder if once activated is it in a scan mode so if an animal moves and your drawn do you have to reclick it for an updated range/pin or does it adjust as you move and how long is it active before you have to click it again.

14 ounces is pretty heavy. I'm not against the concept at all, but I would wait for the next couple generations if I get one. It is illegal here though so I guess I won't anyway...

dotman

WKR
Yeah for the price and being new I wouldn’t get one. Plus it’s illegal where I hunt.

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
I think I'm going to get one. My range finder just died so there's $300. I was planning a site and pin light upgrade, so there's another $350. So I'm already in the price ball park. I'll wait until Lancaster Archery gets them in and go shoot with one on my bow. My concerns are weight and balance.

My primary hunting is eastern whitetail. Once in the stand I always range landmarks to plan potential shots. I'll range oncoming deer if the situation permits. Average shots are usually under 30 yards and often less than 20. At these ranges I don't think the Garmin provides an unfair advantage, I practice at much longer ranges but until the leaves fall and foliage dies I can't see much past 50 yards or so. That said, I'm kind of anal about shot placement and knowing the exact yardage matters to me.

Has technology gone to far,,,, probably. It took me a long time to go from recurve to compound. Primitive firearms was flintlock and now in many places in-line are now used. Open sights, peep sights, scopes and on and on. Hunting will continue to evolve as technology advances. The great thing about the sport is that there are choices. I wonder what's next.

One thing for sure, I'll be real careful pulling the Garmin up to the stand on my hoist rope.

ontarget7

WKR
Getting gut shot is a side to side issue not up and down, so how do rangefinders prevent that?

I'd say they encourage it because people are more confident taking shots they aren't qualified for if they know an exact range.

Safe to say we aren't gonna change each other's mind. I'm just glad that Game Depts in the West agree with me and have outlawed this.

Hell, a drone mounted gun with a camera would lead to a lot less wounded animals, should we allow that?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The sight will only allow for the max yardage one has been dialed in for so on the contrary you wouldn’t be taking shots you aren’t accustom to taking.

More states in the West are actually legal than you might think

Sounds pretty ethical to me

d76dee6c82904e939c12873e7ea8db4e.jpg

ontarget7

WKR
I had to get the Triax dialed in with the HHA to have on hand for those handful of states it’s not currently legal in. I’m actually glad I went through this process. Ive been shooting the HHA for about a month now and it’s actually making me appreciate the Xero even more than I thought I would.
At first I was feeling under ideal conditions accuracy would probably be wash for me personally. However, after dialing in the Xero on the Triax I’m going to have to say that I feel accuracy is in fact better and overall group size to be tighter on average.

I’m chalking this up to the highly adjustable led dot that I can completely eliminate the halo effect like I get with pins. Then you take the complete unobstructed field of view and I believe my overall accuracy has actually improved.
You can just pin point precisely the spot you intend to hit much easier.
For an item that I was a bit skeptical on at first, it is sure still impressing me.

dotman

WKR
So if it didn’t range and just displayed a dot or multiple dots set at fixed ranges how would this be different then any current sights?

I will say the single pin slider was one of the best moves I’ve made for improving my accuracy.