Easton Titanium Outserts

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, I was using Gold Tip Pierce Platinum.

I'm not saying I'll never use them again, but there's only two reasons I can think of to use a 4mm shaft: Wind Drift, and Penetration. Both theoretical advantages, but I'm not sure how much they matter in practice, especially penetration. Wind drift could on longer shots in open country. The disadvantages are reduced durability, limited broadhead selection with deep 6, outserts harder to get to spin true and can get damaged/crooked from repeated use in some targets.

All about tradeoffs... If I use them again, It would be with the setup I did this year, but with a broadhead like a Deep 6 Iron Will. But, by the time you're done with them, there's a lot of time and $$$ into each arrow.

I have been beating my head against the wall on this one. Basically, I agree with you and Beendare. It is a whole lot of trouble dealing with a 4mm shaft. D6 is out as far as I am concerned the shank of the broadhead is too small.

The only reason I keep revisiting the micro shaft is for one specific hunt I have this year where I will be in the mountains with wind, steep cuts and the most difficult conditions for a bowhunter. Personally, the penetration claims are un-warranted, I passed through a Bison 20 years ago with a 2216. You don't need micro-sized arrow to do that.

BUT the wind is a real thing, my real world testing side by side with an Axis shaft is 4-6 inches of wind drift at 100 yards. That is substantial enough to consider.

At this point my plan is to build some VAPs with the 95 grain insert/outsert. And just soot them compared to the Axis and Injexion W/outserts. Whatever shoots best will win.

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
Trial153- I tend to agree with you about 5mm shafts. As much as I’d like to shoot the micro shafts, the 5mm shafts have been much more convenient , just as lethal and accurate within most hunting distances ( in my opinion). I will give the edge to the micro shafts for long distance shooting - but the margin is small. Unless these new outserts are bombproof- I’ll be sticking with 5mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Yea I totally get wanting to get any edge I can equipmentwise....in fact I am way over the top with being a Gear nut.
I just can’t handle the outserts on 4mm shafts relative to the problems I have had with them. I haven’t had one system yet that got me through a summer of shooting and they spinned well at the end of couple months of consistent shooting.

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
Have you guys had the VAP 95-grain stainless inserts bend or go out of true?

Beendare

WKR
just go to 5mm shafts...problem solved.

^ Ha...took the words right out of my mouth.

I tend to listen when guys like MattB, Brendan, Trial153, Mez [and some others] give their opinions- quality stuff.

Its a fact; the skinny 4mm shafts do perform better in a cross wind. A funny story; Back in the 90's when I was shooting the Beman hunter 4mm and carbon Flash shafts, my buddy and I both shot at the exact same time at some bucks on Kodiak [70yds] in a 30mph [appx] cross wind [yeah, I know, it was poor shot selection] I held one foot in front of the buck and drilled him. My buddy's std arrow went who knows where behind them. Fletching on his arrow was a factor too- my FF 360's vs his 4"....back in the 80's and 90's almost everyone used big fletch.

Our archery club has a pretty good afternoon cross wind- good for practicing that. I know there was a significant difference when testing way back when vs the std dia shafts. [but then we were using bigger fletching back then too]

Its not that you cannot get the 4mm to work...you can. Its a matter of how much effort, cost, trial and error, etc. you are willing to deal with.

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
Is there another 5mm shaft that you guys like? Or think is the best

I have always just used the axis all carbon with 50-grain break off HITs

Brendan

WKR
Currently I'm shooting a 5mm Easton axis, 50 gr brass HIT insert. Cut to around 26.5" carbon to carbon. Total arrow weight is around 505gr with a 125gr head.

Arrow quality okay. Out of 2 dozen, 25% got culled out for practice / grouse arrows because of straightness.

I have a big box of set screws from Mc master carr, Ill mail you some for free to try if you would like. they weighe 6.8 grains

Thanks! I am good for a while but I appreciate the offer. To clarify, to use the threads or weights, I put the back insert in backwards so that the female connection is free.

Brendan

WKR
Thanks! I am good for a while but I appreciate the offer. To clarify, to use the threads or weights, I put the back insert in backwards so that the female connection is free.
Or, do what I did and tap the back of the D6 insert for a Gold Tip FACT weight screw.

jmez

WKR
Penetration is not a benefit in game animals with the micro diameter shafts. Penetration is only a benefit when stopping the arrow by friction. Friction doesnt' stop arrows in game, hitting hard shit does. The only penetration advantage you are going to get is sticking them farther in a molded foam target.

I dinked with multiple set ups and micro shafts for a year and a half. Nothing I did worked and all of it was a PITA. IMO the micros are simply a solution looking for a problem.

Last edited:
I saw the thread about tapping the insert. I have no ability to work with tools and would most likely end up missing a finger. Glue is more my speed.

jmez

WKR
It looks like a good solution. The long insert which should help with getting the outsert-[ or whatever they are calling that thing]- straight.

That will be a pricey set of arrows when all put together....donating one to the arrow gods might hurt a little - grin.
Bet they bend.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Anyone have any experience with the Zelor. 166 shafts? I haven't had any problems with broadhead flight and durability has been excellent. That said, I haven't put them on a spin tester. Last time I tried to buy one not a single shop in Utah had one. Probably not smart to put outserts on without one but my Gravediggers have flown consistently on every arrow I put one on.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
I'm intrigued by the outserts, but still interested in durability. Are they easy to install and get to spin true? Do they hang up pulling them out of targets? Does that damage them over time and knock them out of alignment?

Maybe they're an improvement, but maybe not... Would be an expensive set of arrows to test it all out, with limited benefits.

I'll wait for someone else to be the guinea pig...

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, titanium depending on the grade is pretty tough stuff when it comes to durability.

I have the same questions as Brendon above.....anyone up for testing $200/doz arrows? grin