Easton Titanium Outserts

OR Archer

WKR
Easton introduced a titanium half out for their 4mm line of shafts for guys not wanting to use D6 inserts and heads. Weigh in at 50gr. They’re expensive at $40 bucks for 6.
I’ll see if I can get a picture up later today.

TheTone

WKR
Titanium surprises me as a material choice, be curious to see how they stand up

Bummed to hear about the brass deep 6. I'm doubled stacked and my next build I may use the threads from a field point to get a little extra.

Blackcow

WKR
Instead of field point threads, just get some all thread. Trial and error will get you the weight you want. Or set screws, but that can add up.

OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
Instead of field point threads, just get some all thread. Trial and error will get you the weight you want. Or set screws, but that can add up.

The D6 inserts unfortunately aren't threaded on the back to add all thread.

This is the kind of crap that keeps me away from Easton. I'd love to try the 4mm Injection but no way am I getting stuck with their idiot box insert systems. What's so wrong with a good stainless half out? Zelor and Black Eagle figured it out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
This is the kind of crap that keeps me away from Easton. I'd love to try the 4mm Injection but no way am I getting stuck with their idiot box insert systems. What's so wrong with a good stainless half out? Zelor and Black Eagle figured it out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've tried pretty much everything with 4mm arrows over the last two years. I hate Outserts. All of them. Pain in the ass using bag targets. And a lot more trouble getting them to spin true than standard inserts. Not as durable as an insert.

Spent a lot of time custom threading Deep 6 inserts to take the Gold Tip FACT weights to get the insert weight up which works, but it's a LOT of work and then you have a limited broadhead selection...

I think I'm with Beendare on this. There are some theoretical benefits (maybe) to 4mm arrows, but too much of a PITA so I think I'll just shoot a 5mm arrow where I can use a 75gr brass insert and standard broadheads.

Minor hassle to properly install Firenock Outserts on Injexion 330s with hot melt. Easy to rotate them to get the outserts properly oriented to get a straight perfect alignment with field points and broadheads.

I do have one Cabelas bag target that you have to rotate the arrow to pull it out. Otherwise the outsert catches the bag face. No issue with my Morrell bag target. Hopefully the new cover will be the same.

Overall they are worth the hassle to me. They are a tough good flying combo with the outserts. I have zero use for deep 6 inserts except to add weight. You give up a huge amount of strength due to the decreased diameter of the threads and shank. No thanks!

Beendare

WKR
This is the kind of crap that keeps me away from Easton. ....

Its not just Easton bro....its the 4mm. Its a flawed system when you have incredibly smart and experienced bowhunters like Brendan having to modify, tweak and spend a lot of time dinking with them just to get their arrows straight! Ridiculous.

I was sponsored by Beman way back when when they came out with the Beman hunters[4mm+/-] They were a great shaft....but the system was flawed for many of the reasons Brendan noted in his post. Of course I couldn't say it at the time as at that point I was a paid shill.

My main squak was getting perfect concentricity with the outserts. Think about it; the overlap of an insert borrows from the straightness of the shaft and a tiny bit of variance in manufacturing tolerance can be made up by lengthening the insert and/or heavy epoxy. The corresponding costs of inserts vs an outsert to do the same is very expensive [as noted here]. Having the overlap of an insert is no big deal...but on the outside of your arrow its a PITA that creates other issues.

If you have ever used the fantastic long HIT inserts...you will see the difference right away when you spin your arrows- perfect every time assuming a true end.

Sorry Easton, and to the other mnfrs making the 4mm shafts...its a flawed system to begin with....I think thats why those skinny shafts left the building originally.

Brendan

WKR
Its not just Easton bro....its the 4mm.

Yep, I was using Gold Tip Pierce Platinum.

I'm not saying I'll never use them again, but there's only two reasons I can think of to use a 4mm shaft: Wind Drift, and Penetration. Both theoretical advantages, but I'm not sure how much they matter in practice, especially penetration. Wind drift could on longer shots in open country. The disadvantages are reduced durability, limited broadhead selection with deep 6, outserts harder to get to spin true and can get damaged/crooked from repeated use in some targets.

All about tradeoffs... If I use them again, It would be with the setup I did this year, but with a broadhead like a Deep 6 Iron Will. But, by the time you're done with them, there's a lot of time and $$$ into each arrow.

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
Bummed to hear about the brass deep 6. I'm doubled stacked and my next build I may use the threads from a field point to get a little extra.

I have a big box of set screws from Mc master carr, Ill mail you some for free to try if you would like. they weighe 6.8 grains