Looking for hinge release suggestions.

I've only ever had one but it was a thumb trigger. I hated it. Carter Chocolate Addiction. My fingers are webbed so I need something thin. I want a removable thumb knob. Three or four finger. Bare bones. No ropes. No triggers. No bs. I'm not opposed to a warning click. I don't want a safety. Wrist sling/rope preferred. I know nothing about what's out there. I've got three Tru something I'm borrowing. Two are brass. I can shoot well with Scott caliper releases (high 50s). Talk to me, Goose.

992d69c74e8a7519bd0803f8d02740f1.jpg

4e8b1c4b512f4d105182cbab8a1dca66.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
It's all feel and opinion. I have tru ball hbc and really like it. As long as you stay with a major brand, tru ball, carter, scott, etc you can't go wrong. Some don't have the click though so I would make sure you check that first.

jmez

WKR
Stan makes nice hinges. I've not shot any others so can't compare them to anything. They come in different sizes and should have one that would work.

xcutter

WKR
I have several hinges. Certain things I like about all of them. Can't say I have one that is perfect. So far I have preferred Stan releases. They seem to be thinner than a lot of the others too. For hunting I like how my Scott Longhorn Hunter is setup but I wish it was thin like a Stan and was easier to adjust timing like a Stan. The Scott hinges are good but are a pain to get setup just right. Carter has a nice system on there hinges for setting up timing as well. If you play around with this on these three brands you will see what I'm talking about. Adjustment is necessary for fine tuning my shot.

Look up a Carter Colby or Colby 2. I had one from about this time last year until mid summer and only decided to sell it because I was going with a resistance/thumb combo of two releases. I think it fit your description well and it was alot thinner in height than a Truball that was alot thicker. One other thing I would recommend it to take your fingers and bend them like you will hold the release between your first and second knuckle then look at your hand from the top and see of your fingers tail off (ring or pinkey depending on 3 or 4 finger preferance). If they tail off you want a curved handle if they are straight you want a flat handle.

I don't think your finger webs will have any affect on the release. Look up John Dudleys videos on how to hold and use a handheld release.

These are just some things I observed and learned while buying and selling alot over the past year.

WKR
Also, do you want to hunt with it or just practice?

There are some hinges that can be attached to a wrist sling, other hinges have to be modified or have some sort of cord looked through/arround them if you want that for hunting.

I REALLY prefer a screw type micro adjust. I had a Scott Backspin and adjusting the moon was a bit of a guessing game. The HBC has a micro adjust moon where I can repeatably increase or decrease the speed just a little bit. The micro adjust is a very good thing IMO.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Thanks fellas. I have been rereading your advice. All great! I'd definitely hunt with it. I've never owned a target bow.

PMcGee

WKR
I started with a Scott longhorn and then bought a truball HT. I still shoot both of them. I'd try and find a shop that sells them and try them out. If you find one you like you should be able to find a used one or a new one for cheaper on the net. They aren't cheap and the resale value of them seems pretty low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Brandon Pattison
I shot a 1/3 of a 300 round. It was a disaster. One went off before aiming. One went off on the draw. Both misses. I finished with a wrist rocket getting 290/45. No bows were thrown but some colorful language ensued.

My hand hurt like hell from the brass Truball.

WKR
It's easier for some than others. Shooting a hinge under pressure isn't advised until you've put some time in with it under more casual conditions.

c5mrr270

WKR
If you're looking for a thinner release I'd look at the Stans. They have a much thinner handle than my TruBalls and also have micro adjust.

Also I wouldn't jump right into shooting a hinge for score at leagues. It takes time and patience to learn to shoot a hinge but it will tell you a lot about the consistency of your form. If you're not consistent the hinge will not reach the click at the same time, or it won't fire, or it'll fire too soon, etc.

If you follow this link and watch the videos on "Letting Go" they will outline ONE way to shoot a hinge release. Not the only way but a very good way.

Resources — #ExtraMiddle

jmez

WKR
It will take months to get comfortable with a hinge. You can't just buy them and shoot them well right off the bat. One reason I like the Stan release. You can pin the hinge so it will not fire but it will click when the bow would have fired. I practiced with mine for a couple months before I ever even fired an arrow with it.

E-2

Lil-Rokslider
Keep Plugging away. I am getting to the point where I shoot the hinge better than anything else and it has taken months at 10 yds in the basement. I still anticipate with a trigger or thumb after about 30 shots and have to go back to the hinge.