How often should I wax my bow string?

BlackFlag

FNG
Good morning,

Just had my post 200 round bow inspection at the pro shop. I suppose it's a good thing since the timing was a bit off, and some other things needed tightening. Anyway, I asked the question of how often I should be waxing the bowstring. I didn't get a concise reply so I figured I'd ask here. The internet is full of opinions on the matter, ranging from after every session to once a season. I've picked up that this can be a rather subjective topic, but i suppose I'm looking for an answer along the lines of "after every 500 arrows" etc.

I have full intention of keeping an eye on the string for any fraying, but I'm not sure if being proactive is a benefit or not. Also, how often should cams be lubed?

Finally, what wax/cam lube is recommended for Hoyt brand bows? Does it even matter?

Thanks in advance for the reply's. I appreciate everyone's help/

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think you can over wax a string if your rubbing it in and not leaving excess blobs on the string.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WKR
My target rig (mostly indoors) rarely gets waxed. It's not in the elements much. I heard John Dudley say that waxing a string isn't the best thing for accuracy/precision of the bow. Dry strings are more precise and less variable in temp changes. This one would get close to the once or twice a year, and it gets shot a lot.

My hunting rig gets waxed more often, but that's still not very often, maybe once a month during its active season(s). It's out in the elements, dirt, precipitation, etc. so protection of the string is more important. I don't expect the same precision from it as I do my target gear.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's dry here......real dry. I wax mine about every other time I take it shooting. If you work it into the fibers and clean off the excess with dental floss it doesn't affect accuracy much at all. However, I shot 3D with a guy a few years ago and he didn't anticipate the rain we got. Every shot, his string was throwing water everywhere and he was shooting about 6" low on everything. Mine were well waxed and the rain didn't appear to have much effect at all.

Boreal

WKR
Wax as often as you want to. As long as you're enjoying it, and it's not getting in the way of anything else, wax that thing. Nobody else should care how often a man waxes his string. It's not like it's going to make you go blind, or anything.

OK, now that that juvenile sentiment is done, I have been told by my LBS that I ought to be waxing more. It's dry here in the winter, and I was getting really small frayed strings. The techs said, for my hunting rig, that waxing more is not going to cause any problems as long as I keep the wax out of the cables.