Grip wrap question

Rogue541

WKR
I shoot my prime Rize with a bare grip and it works ok (cold sometimes) . Has anyone seen a benefit from using a wrapped grip for performance? I bought some wraps off eBay for $5 just to see if I like it. Thanks!
5d9669ec5bdb79e974efdf6feccf3ba8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it decreases the performance by creating torque on the bow itself. And a torqued bow makes for inaccurate arrow flight.

If cold is of concern, maybe shoot with gloves on? I shoot with gloves of some sort for hunting, so that means I start wearing gloves when the season draws near.

I have used Gamma grip in the past.. for my badminton racket. It works great in keeping your hands stuck to the racket, even when your hands get sweaty.

AZElk

FNG
I put a piece of Grip Tape on the back of my Centergy Hybrid's grip and it works great. It does not add torque to the bow but gives me something to not slip off of.

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
NevadaZielmeister I could see how more hand to bow contact would create torque. I’ll hold off on wrapping the whole grip and try what AZElk suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't necessarily agree with it creating torque because your hand somehow sticks to it. Most of the top level archers in the world put wraps on their grips. Most are using Wilson tennis racket tape in 5mm. The Wilson is also one of the few that doesn't turn into a slip and slide in the rain. It does wear out though and should be replaced when you start to see the wear spots.

If only on a hunting bow, I wouldn't use any of the racket type tape as they are just to slick in wet weather. I would just use a couple wraps of athletic tape or as mentioned above a small strip of grip tape. Also, don't get the grip tape that is super rough or you will tear your hand up.

Brendan

WKR
Yes, it decreases the performance by creating torque on the bow itself. And a torqued bow makes for inaccurate arrow flight.

If cold is of concern, maybe shoot with gloves on? I shoot with gloves of some sort for hunting, so that means I start wearing gloves when the season draws near.

I have used Gamma grip in the past.. for my badminton racket. It works great in keeping your hands stuck to the racket, even when your hands get sweaty.

I disagree with this - here's why.

Yes, I agree that if I shoot with a very soft and slippery merino glove on a slick riser, I get different arrow flight than if I shoot bare handed. I've tested it, and it's a different tune for the bow. Theoretically, the slick glove is eliminating torque that results from friction between your hand and the riser. Here's the problem with the merino glove - if it gets wet, sweaty, dirty at all - it starts to get less slick, and that affects your arrow flight, now you're inducing some torque.

For me, grip tape stays more consistent shot to shot in varying conditions, because the "torque" my grip puts on the bow doesn't change as much. So for me, I use hockey tape. And, I can get the same arrow flight bare handed, merino gloves, or shooting gloves depending on the temp.

Try it out with bare shaft testing or paper tuning and see what works for you... Go with whatever is most consistent, tune your bow to match.

I have personally seen how gripping the handle on the bow and relaxing imparts a huge amount of arrow torque. I agree that you should be consistent with your grip pressure/technique, but adding more surface tension can also affect things. What confuses me is why? I mean, if you just relax your grip and allow the bow to do what it is designed to do, why the need for tape in the first place?

In my mind, grip technique is way more important, and from what I have read, grip tape is some form of compensation for poor technique.

I do like one poster on this thread (AZEik) who used just a small amount at the back of the bow grip, which could increase the consistency shot to shot, because that shooter is properly gripping the bow. Pretty much the only real contact point should be the between the hand/webbing (inside the flexes brevis muscle and abductor pollicis) area and the back of the bow grip, nothing more. It seems adding grip tape to the whole grip as the OP is wanting to only gives more things to stick and thus, increase the torque on the bow.

But hey, let's see. Maybe someone can show how grip tape actually improves the performance of the bow. My contention is that it will only induce inaccuracies to an already perfectly designed Prime bow system.

Brendan

WKR
It doesn't improve performance - it improves consistency of grip shot to shot. And even with a grip that imparts a little torque, I can tune my bow for that, and then have consistent arrow flight with bare hand, merino glove, thicker shooting gloves.

Think of it this way - You use a merino glove, slick riser for all your tuning to eliminate bow hand torque. Then, you're in a position during hunting season where you all of a sudden find yourself shooting with a bare hand, or need warmer gloves, or your merino glove gets wet and a little tacky from sweat? Boom - arrow flies differently. Tested that on the range last year before settling on hockey tape for me...

EDIT: Whether you use grip tape or hockey tape is probably irrelevant. You want something that adds enough friction to give you that consistency. After that - it's personal preference. I prefer hockey tape because I like a thin, low profile riser and don't like larger grips.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
i wrap my grip, using thin rackett handle tape. If anything it adds way more consistency to my shots. Repeatability, consistancy and less outliers is the name of the game in hunting and target archery.