Building Accurate Sight Tapes By Doug Rosin

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
IMG_4133.jpg

With today's modern compound bows, archers are able to stretch their effective range much further than before. As the range extends the traditional bow sight becomes the limiting factor with most having between one and seven pins set for fixed yardages. With an adjustable sight, that problem is solved. The hard part with adjustable sights can be getting the sight tape set up and installed properly for maximum accuracy. Longtime moderator and contributor Doug Rosin gives us his techniques with this great how-to article.

Building Accurate Sight Tapes

Last edited by a moderator:

lintond

WKR
If you have any questions about the process that I didn’t explain well, just ask.

Doug why is it important to put your indicator at your long mark (80 yds in your example) then place the tape, instead of the other way around. I'm assuming their isn't a difference, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Well written article and will help me build my tape this year. :D

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The mark is the fixed or known position that is good at 80. So once that indicator is rock solid, move the tape to that spot, so they match. If your indicator can move, you can just get your tape close and move your indicator only and not the sight.

If that doesn’t make sense, call me as I may not be explaining it the most correctly and may be able to talk you through it more precisely.

OR Archer

WKR
Pretty much the same process I use. One tip I can add is making a sight tape first based off of the speed of the bow. I will chrono my bow then I can fudge my numbers in AA to make a tape that matches the speed. I can then go to the range and shoot my marks in faster as I’m already close with my base tape from the speed of my bow.

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, so hopefully I am understanding this correctly.
I am using a Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg with 3 pins. So Iets say I am going to use 20/70 for my known distance for building my tape. Do I use my top pin for the number, or my bottom pin since it is the floating pin? I have already set up my sight with the stock sight tapes, but want more precise accuracy. And what do you mean by clicks for the first yardage? Since I have already dialed it once is that going to affect things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I personally use my bottom pin. This will give you more distance on your tape as that pin is sitting lowest in the housing. I presume you have a 20-30-40 or 30-40-50 set up on your pins. Once you build your tape, your indicator will either be on the 40 or 50 number, which ever is your furthest pin.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Why are my chrono results higher than the numbers on the sight tape? My chrono readings average 251.78fps and my sight tape reads 199.77fps.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wish I had a scientific answer for you, but I don’t. I think it is because it is an algorithm program that computes your tape and that can only take in so many variables. I have never built a tape that matches my actual chrono speed. I usually run about 10-15 FPS slower on my freestyle set ups and about 20-25 FPS slower on my bow hunter freestyle set ups.

Pretty much the same process I use. One tip I can add is making a sight tape first based off of the speed of the bow. I will chrono my bow then I can fudge my numbers in AA to make a tape that matches the speed. I can then go to the range and shoot my marks in faster as I’m already close with my base tape from the speed of my bow.

I will be over in Eugene in 2 weeks. I might need to see you to get help setting my sight up. Thanks for the great bow! Just bought my Hoyt rx1 from your shop last week!

OR Archer

WKR
I will be over in Eugene in 2 weeks. I might need to see you to get help setting my sight up. Thanks for the great bow! Just bought my Hoyt rx1 from your shop last week!

Bring it by and we will get you lined out

Great article Doug! I've been using Archers Advantage for the past few years and using your same procedure. Although haven't used the calipers to the level of precision you did. Thanks for taking the time to document the procedure!

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have yet to get this technical on my sight tapes. I have actually never used one that has came with my sights as I have been unimpressed with their accuracy.

I always dial each yardage and make my own tape and have found this to be the most accurate for me. Sure it is more time consuming but would be out there shooting anyway and don't have to second guess it.

If I ever do it the way you have done here it would definitely make a difference no doubt! Good job!

This is a great resource and I have since bookmarked the article to my favorites. I plan to review and use the article when I pick up an Option 6 Sight. I see accurate site tapes as critical to getting the most of our your bow site.

I never understand why some people spend so much on a slider and then neglect the most important part, the DOPE!!!

PhillyB

WKR
Doug- How do I go about determining the "click/turn" ratio for a sight?

I have a MBG ascent single pin, but the original packaging is gone. I cannot find anything on the website either.

Any thoughts?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doug- How do I go about determining the "click/turn" ratio for a sight?

I have a MBG ascent single pin, but the original packaging is gone. I cannot find anything on the website either.

Any thoughts?

I would call MBG. I looked in both my programs and they are not listed.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just looked at their web sight. I don’t think that sight has clicks, just a dial. If so you have to use “inch” mark settings to build a custom tape. Call me and I will walk you through it if needed.