Looking at Prime, buy used it new?

I’m in the market for a new (to me) bow and there’s a local dealer that allows you to shoot any of their bows. Tried a new Hoyt, Bowtech Reign, Prime Centergy Hybrid, Xpedition Perfection, and Matthews Halon. Really disappointed in the Hoyt, major vibration in the riser. Halon was sweet, no complaints. Xpedition shot SMOOTH but had a bit of a harsh rollover, Bowtech was awesome but I felt a little drag in the draw somewhere. The Prime Centergy Hybrid was phenomenal. Balanced unreal, draw silky smooth, held in target great. I want one :)

My main question is do I buy used or new? Looks like the Centergy was introduced in 2016? Any updates for 2017/2018 that I would be better off going to? I can find some 2017 models in clearance right now for okay prices. Is the new strings every 2 years from Prime a good reason to buy new?

Any advice would be great. I’ve owned 3 bows over the last 10 years. All bought used and on the cheap and all sight unseen. I’m hoping to make a purchase that’ll last me 5+ years.

Thanks

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
North 40? I'm surprised they had a prime in stock as they told me a couple weeks ago they could order them but wouldn't stock them. If you are still shopping for a deal it could be worth a drive to CDA to look at the North 40 up there (prime dealer) and to Black Sheep as they stock a ton of bows and usually have a bunch of previous year models at good discount.

The centergy came out last year, I was really impressed with the one I shot as well and its on my short list of new bows for me.

OP
HellsCanyon
North 40? I'm surprised they had a prime in stock as they told me a couple weeks ago they could order them but wouldn't stock them. If you are still shopping for a deal it could be worth a drive to CDA to look at the North 40 up there (prime dealer) and to Black Sheep as they stock a ton of bows and usually have a bunch of previous year models at good discount.

The centergy came out last year, I was really impressed with the one I shot as well and its on my short list of new bows for me.

Correct, they had ONE Centergy hybrid on the rack. I’ll give black sheep and North 40 in CDA a call and see if they have any of last years models still. Almost feel bad, guy at this bow counter gave us excellent service and if it wasn’t so much cheaper I’d like to send them the business. Being as they they’re a franchise and not a small store I don’t feel as bad though.

Mike

Haven't shot the Centergy, but we have 3 Primes in my house, my favorite bows by far. If I was looking to buy, I would be checking Archery Talk classifieds and buy over there for a considerable savings.

HookUp

WKR
I almost bought a used one, ebay and archery talk your looking at $700 for a mint used Centergy. I think prices are headed down to $600 in the next few months.

2016 Prime Rival is the best hunting bow I’ve owned. Arrows go where the pin is located. It isn’t the lightest, fastest, shortest or quietest but it sure is a killer versus the Hoyt and Mathews bows I’d used the previous 5 years. I’d buy another in a heartbeat.

I would buy it used. For some reason Prime doesn't hold near the resale that Hoyt, Mathews, and Bowtech do. I would agree with your choice of the Centergy. Archery Talk Classifieds are probably your best bet. The new strings from Prime every two years is a nice offering but their strings are kind of just OK. They certainly work and don't stretch or twist constantly or anything like that. Just not a top notch set of strings. For $100 or less you can have any number of custom string builders make you a set that will outlast two prime sets. I had a Prime Alloy with CPX2 cams that was my smoothest drawing and best shooting bow to date. Only sold it because I didn't get along with the grip and after fighting left and right inconsistencies for two years went back to Elite. I think the Centergy grip is a little different and the curved riser really works. I'm considering getting one myself

I would definitely buy used if it was me. I think you could pick one up for around $600 if you keep an eye out(buddy sold a centergy for $550).

Ive been keeping an eye out for one myself, but being a lefty its hard to find one.

OP
HellsCanyon
There’s some good deals on AT and I think that is where I’ll be keeping an eye out.

I only had the opportunity to shoot the Centergy Hybrid. Has anybody been able to compare them directly with the standard Centergy or Centergy Air?

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
Worked a deal over on AT. Got a 2017 Centergy Hybrid, 29/70 in near mint condition for $625 to my door in elevated II camo. Not crazy about the camo but seemed like a very good deal. I'm thinking I might hydrodip the riser in woodgrain and cerakote the limbs black.... maybe :)

Thanks for the help fellas

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
Wow that seems like a great deal. Congrats on the new bow!

Thanks!!
I’ve seen a couple of the standard centergys for $600 but nothing with my specific draw length. Since the cams are DL specific I rationed I’m money ahead to buy the first one under $650 that was the longer ATA hybrid model and setup with a 29” cams and 70 lb limbs.

Mike