Target Panic cure with a thumb release HELP!

jdvanstar

WKR
It's been a long time building but I can finally admit that I've developed a case of target panic. It's come on slowly but it's definitely becoming a problem and making me enjoy shooting a whole lot less than I used to.

Everything I've read recommends switching to a hinge release - It's the surprise shot that helps with TP. Is there a way to go about fixing this without switching releases? Have you guys seen success by beating it a different way?

Thanks!

big44a4

WKR
Also have to learn to get comfortable with thumb resting on trigger. The longer I can hold it there without starting shot process the better the execution is. Takes practice. Much like practicing a hunting situation holding full draw for a period of time before shooting. Do the same with your thumb relaxed on the trigger.

Target doesn’t have to be blank IMO. Since you will already be close can practice without aiming and or put a big piece of paper on target if you feel need to look through peep. Mentally for me I don’t aim just go through above exercise and work on executing the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lintond

WKR
Take you sight off and forget about aiming. Stand in front of a bale and just focus on you shot sequence. Think about the process, each step at a time, focus on pulling through. Do this for weeks. I’d also suggest you listen to Dudley’s podcast he has covers this.

AdamW

WKR
A lot of this info is available from Joel for free scattered around the web on podcasts (especially "The Push" podcast) but I think he's really on to something. He does clinics alongside Tom Clum Sr. and Tom touched on some of these concepts while un-screwing my form with a trad bow this past summer.

I'm not a die-hard archer at this point, I just enjoy shooting, but in my opinion shooting a blank bale has value BUT I equate it to someone telling you to dry fire with a rifle to reduce a flinch when shooting live ammo. Or the same with a ball and dummy drill. You can make the mental switch when you need to, but making the mental switch when you know for sure the shot is going to go off (or you have a sight on your bow) is a whole different thing.

I 100% without question felt mentally different when I fired my first shot (since changing my mental process) at a live animal this fall with a rifle.

I'm struggling more with the trad bow because I fluctuate between poor mechanics and the mental block. A compound helps knock some of this out. You got this.

There seems to be too many people out there getting improvement for this to be voodoo snake oil.

Controlled Process Shooting | SHOT IQ

3forks

WKR
When you're using a thumb release, after the shot breaks, is your hand staying static by your anchor?

If so, you're probably not engaging with your back enough and manipulating the release to break instead of surprising you. You can do this with a hinge release, too. Just changing from a thumb release to a hinge probably isn't going to help you long term unless you really concentrate on using your back to make the shot break.

Also, in regards to Joel Turner and The Iron Mind methodology... What I came away with as the most helpful component of the methodology was to not take a bad shot and to get comfortable drawing down.

Overall, I agree with everyone else in that you really have to concentrate on the shot process and forget about the aiming piece until you're able to execute the correct process with the correct timing.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not a huge fan of blank bailing, as Target Panic usually is present only when you have a target you are aiming at. I think blank bailing helps if you have a brand new release that you are just getting comfortable with executing. If you don't want to try a hinge, which isn't the cure all either as people can punch a hinge also, I would look at a tension release. The Stan Element is a good training release and it helps you understand how to relax during the execution of the shot.

TJ

WKR
I am not a huge fan of blank bailing, as Target Panic usually is present only when you have a target you are aiming at. I think blank bailing helps if you have a brand new release that you are just getting comfortable with executing. If you don't want to try a hinge, which isn't the cure all either as people can punch a hinge also, I would look at a tension release. The Stan Element is a good training release and it helps you understand how to relax during the execution of the shot.

This ^^^^^ 100%

wapitibob

WKR
Draw your bow, close your eyes, then shoot. No more target panic.
I agree with Rosin on blank bale. It's for release execution/timing.
You will never beat target panic until you start shooting at a target. The visual stimulus of the pin moving in/out/across the intended target causes anxiety/anticipation up until you fire the release. You need to learn how not to anticipate the shot while aiming.
I did it by shooting close and working back over months. Ryalls keeps his students from getting it by shooting close and working back. My suggestion is to start at 10 yards and work back to 20 over the next cpl months, then continue to work back.

Most take aiming way to serious. I currently don't know a single top end shooter that has their focus on the target. All my friends and those I follow that have silver bowls and big cardboard checks have their focus on the back end. They simple "look at" the target while their brain is back at their release hand/bow arm. Your brain already knows where the pin needs to be.

Finbob

FNG
I had the same problem and blank baling didn’t help me at all. A guy at a local shop had me choke up on the thumb release and touch my index finger to my thumb. Without moving my thumb, he had me hold steady pressure on the back wall and slowly relax my index finger. The release will pivot and fire.By doing this, you essentially make your thumb release into a back tension without having to buy another release. It helped me a ton, went from punching arrows all over the place to ruining arrows.

Gumbo

WKR
I agree with Rosin and TJ. I can shoot targets all day with no panic/anxiety, even under pressure, and I NEVER punch. But I have had to spend the last 4 years or so dedicated to the thumb release to beat a TERRIBLE case of target panic to where I couldn't even get a pin on an animal and I was flinging an arrow. Now I can settle my pin every time on an animal and get a surprise shot about half the time. Still not great but definitely moving in the right direction...

Anyway, my point is that anxiety is a tough beast to tame. My advice is to shoot everyday even if it is only a few arrows point blank at home (but I always aim), focus on form/consistency, come to grips with the fact that your pin will float, and NEVER hit the trigger when shooting at a target.

TripleJ

WKR
I've struggled with TP off and on for way too long. There is a ton of information out there now about ways to minimize it. There's a guy on AT named Padgett that has some great articles about this subject. I don't think it ever truly goes away. I've beat it more than once, only to have it come back. Blank baling doesn't work for me. My struggle comes down to the anticipation of the shot. When shooting an index trigger release, I can put my pin on a target and hold it all day long, as long as my finger is behind the trigger. As soon as my finger is in front of the trigger, my shot sequence often goes to crap and the freezing/flinching/punching begins. A thumb trigger worked for me, for a while. Then I began punching that also. I finally broke down and started with a hinge last year. I have many more good shots then bad shots now. I am finally able to execute proper pin float, something that has eluded my for years. You are going to have to re-train your mind. You are going to have to develop a shot sequence. Whether you can develop that with your thumb release or not, I don't know. If you can get away from command shooting your thumb release and get to where it's a surprise release, you will be on the right track.

Joel turner is great for help. I have beaten mine by doing a couple things. #1 I will go days without shooting an arrow, but will draw back and hold on target with my finger on the trigger but not release the arrow. at first you will have to fight yourself to not shoot the arrow! everything will look perfect and you will try to tell yourself its ok to shoot but dont. once you a comfortable with this you can start to shoot arrows again, but you will need to talk yourself through the shot (Joel talks about this). go slow, slower then you think you can on the release, depending on the release you can control if differently. but the main Idea if it has a trigger (thumb or finger) is to get on the trigger and then pull with your back muscle to get i to go off. If at any time you start to "panic" again go back to not releasing the arrow and let the pin float on the target.

The other thing you could try is shooting with a resistance type release which goes off once you have pulled hard enough against it. I have had very goo luck with a stan element or the PrefeX resistance.

I've struggled with TP off and on for way too long. There is a ton of information out there now about ways to minimize it. There's a guy on AT named Padgett that has some great articles about this subject. I don't think it ever truly goes away. I've beat it more than once, only to have it come back. Blank baling doesn't work for me. My struggle comes down to the anticipation of the shot. When shooting an index trigger release, I can put my pin on a target and hold it all day long, as long as my finger is behind the trigger. As soon as my finger is in front of the trigger, my shot sequence often goes to crap and the freezing/flinching/punching begins. A thumb trigger worked for me, for a while. Then I began punching that also. I finally broke down and started with a hinge last year. I have many more good shots then bad shots now. I am finally able to execute proper pin float, something that has eluded my for years. You are going to have to re-train your mind. You are going to have to develop a shot sequence. Whether you can develop that with your thumb release or not, I don't know. If you can get away from command shooting your thumb release and get to where it's a surprise release, you will be on the right track.

in your case I would try going through your whole shot sequence but not releasing the arrow. even if that means getting a release that wont fire. train you mind to let the pin float with your finger on the trigger and then release with a squeeze of your shoulders or slow squeeze of your hand