Target for broad heads.

So I am doing Some post season bow tweaking. Bow currently getting some updates to site and new strings.

One of my goals is to really dial in my broadheads and practice more with them much more. I have been using muzzy trocars but want to play with a few others.

One issue I have had in the past was getting broadheads stuck in my rinehart block targets. Is there some way to work around this? My bow is fairly fast and even with field tips it tends to bury arrows. I was thinking about stacking some cheap styrofoam targets in front of my rinehart to slow things down. Or maybe shooting through a stall mat or something with the rinehart behind it a few inches.

Any advice is appreciated.

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
That’s always a dilemma with shooting broadheads because of the spin.

I use a big block now myself, no issues really.

In the past, I’ve used some foam targets with a block set back about 18 inches. I peeled off foam layer thickness just enough to allow the arrow head to go thru but the arrow buried about a 1/3. Is unscrew my head, then pull the arrows. I was forced into this because I was shooting Crimson Talon broadheads that had curved blades. There was no way possible to back them out of a target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What do you mean by "getting stuck"? BH's are a lot easier to pull than field points from most of those targets. I've used the 18-1 and the Rhinoblock and that is the case for both, and I'm shooting a 500+ grain arrow at 70+ pounds at 32 1/2" draw so they all bury. I have a Blob target that BH arrows pull from fairly easily because of cutting their way in, but with FP's I have to lay it down, stand on it, grip, and pull using my legs to get the arrows out.

But the easier it is to pull arrows, the quicker the target seems to wear out.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I use a Block target. However, I haven't had to shoot my broadheads very much. They hit the same place as my field points, so I just use the field points.

Trial153

WKR
I have the blob( thanks elk guide ) and also the rhinoblock. Both are good targets. The blob is ...well... a blob. It’s solid and heavy, hard to pull Broadheads until you really soften up an area with shooting. Field points forget it. The bigger blob you will get a ton of use out of. Paintbit with 4” spots in the corners and center then when you wear them out in like years...repaint it with the spots on the sides.....do it another ew years turn it around. Yea it will last that long . That said it’s ugly, big heavy and unruly.

The rhino block is way more portable, lasts decent. Easy to pull with Broadheads, field points aren’t bad either. If you shoot long distances you will find you will shoot out the centers as the target on the corners are dicey at 100 yards ... that said it will last long enough for the avg shooter to justify the cost. I like the block way better then the 18-1 ...just for the shape. I really can’t complain about it at all. If you need a target to toss in the truck for trips the of the two the rhino block is better.

The only solution with either target to soften them up for easy removal is shooting. I find if it pulls easy at first it isn’t going to last worth a damn

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Trial, I'm more in the market for a more permanent broadhead target for the backyard. I have a carpet stack for field points. I'm leaning towards the blob. Do you notice it wearing down the carbon on your arrows at all? I shoot 20-50 arrows a day.

Desk Jockey, I use a hanging stall mat as a backstop, it works great. But I would not use as target, you will have to unscrew broadhead each time.

Trial153

WKR
Thanks Trial, I'm more in the market for a more permanent broadhead target for the backyard. I have a carpet stack for field points. I'm leaning towards the blob. Do you notice it wearing down the carbon on your arrows at all? I shoot 20-50 arrows a day.

Desk Jockey, I use a hanging stall mat as a backstop, it works great. But I would not use as target, you will have to unscrew broadhead each time.

Can’t say I have noticed ant target wearing down arrows. If you do get the blob something to consider to make it easier to use is placing on top of something to bring it higher up. Way easier to pull arrows if you pulling from a waist height target vs one on the ground.

Tilzbow

WKR

I had a Blob and it ruined a bunch of my arrows. The guys at Blob never returned my emails or phone calls regarding the issue. I’ll never own or shoot another Blob. I’ve heard there are two different companies making Blob targets but I’m not sure if that’s true nor would I risk it again since even without the wear on the arrows I wasn’t impressed with the target.

For a big broadhead target check out the Matrix. The foam is similar to the Rinehart foam, plus the modules rotate and I believe they sponsor this forum.

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
I have previously used block targets. But I was shooting them
Out too fast, I have also noticed after switching to VAP’s that I was getting too many pass through’s. So this last year I checked out a few different things and settled on a pretty cool system from 365 Archery. It has a solid foam 6 sided core, and a lighter weight foam support base from 18” up to 48”. I haven’t used it a ton, but so far I really like it. I can pull my broadheads out through it no problems. And at close range (20yds and under) field tips can be a little bit of a pain to get out, but I don’t have to stand on the target to get them out or anything like that. I highly recommend checking it out.
4210a6e24a8d640789e664f547f209d7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
For a permanent target I like the Matrix. I've had mine for about a year and it is held up really well. I basically just shoot it with broadheads and have mainly shot the middle cell. Still stopping arrows in the target. I leave it outside all the time and so far it has held up very well.

OP
Desk Jockey
I shoot a 75lb bow on a 31 inch draw. 438grain arrow is moving about 310. Field points bury deep. Same thing. Target on its back, stand on it. Two arrow puller rubber grips and pull. Broadheads bury too. Have to haul even harder. One or two were so tough that I unscrewed the arrow and left the heads in the target.

Tilzbow

WKR
I shoot a 75lb bow on a 31 inch draw. 438grain arrow is moving about 310. Field points bury deep. Same thing. Target on its back, stand on it. Two arrow puller rubber grips and pull. Broadheads bury too. Have to haul even harder. One or two were so tough that I unscrewed the arrow and left the heads in the target.

I shoot similar specs but have never had that much difficulty. Try arrow lube on the front 2” of shaft just behind the broadhead. I use Scorpion Venom. Broadheads and field points are much easier to pull from both my Rinehart and Matrix targets. Plus it keeps target material from building up on some camo shafts such as the Carbon Express Maxima hunters I’m shooting at the moment.

brocksw

WKR
I buy a block target every year. Shoot it in my garage when I'm tuning and spining arrows. I try to shoot for 1k - 1500 arrows in it before August. Then the center is soft enough where broadheads penetrate pretty easy. At 100 yards I can just push my arrow through if it doesn't penetrate all the way through, usually only a couple inches.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rinehart with replaceable center section. Cheaper in the long run. All I shoot now is broad heads. I will spray the poly urethane foam from a can sold at Ace Hardware when it starts to get chewed up. After a while, I just get the new center round piece. I quit shooting at 40 or less yards. The 50 is way easier to pull out.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Would you recommend the blob over the 18-1?

Yes. I've had the 24x24x12" Blob for several years now, it weighs 98lbs. But I also have the Rhinoblock that I take to elk camp. It doesn't matter what you shoot with BH's, eventually it's going to be trashed. Even with the Blob, it doesn't take long to shoot at a single spot for my arrows to stick out the back. The 18-1 I went into that intending on shooting it out in under a year.........I succeeded. It eventually just cracked open and fell into a few pieces with a big hollow center.

kicker338

WKR
American whitetail range king broadhead target, had it for 3yrs now and still going strong, just DON'T shoot field tips into it, do and you'll be sorry.

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
Went for a Blob, No complaints so far, big, tough and stops arrows. Less than 100 rounds into it but I'm really liking it. No harder to pull than a 3D target or a heavily compressed carpet stack.

Jon C

FNG
I use the black hole target think there made by block cost $30 dollars lasts a year or two. Cheap when on sale in off season.