Drop Away Rest. QAD vs. HAMSKEA

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider
For those that have used both, which do you prefer and why? Getting a second bow and am trying to decide what rest i want to use. On my current bow i have a QAD Ultra HDX. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkhunt

FNG
I just switched from the QAD. First, I think the Hamskea is a lot more quieter. The main reason I switched was movement in the rest. I used my QAD for ten years and only had problems with it once in really cold weather freezing but I don’t know if any rests would not have had problems in that conditions. It was finally just worn out and talking with others that used the Hamskea they just seemed stronger. I am still catching myself reaching to raise the rest. I don’t know if this helps you because I am still adjusting to it but that is my reason going with Hamskea.

Sample of one here but my first bow had a QAD setup with a string activation on a fast Hoyt carbon spyder turbo. I was getting a lot of fletching strikes. I swapped that one out for a vapor trail Lim driver pro v. It took a bit to time it right but it hasn’t given me a problem since. I had another’s bow built with a hamskea hybrid hunter pro. It works great as well. No issues.

Honestly, I don’t think my shop tuned the bow right and didn’t time the release right. so, I can’t honestly say the QAD was the issue but my research on this and a few other forums suggests I wasn’t the only one having problems getting a QAD to work on certain bow.

Setting aside the function issues, I would say from a shooting perspective I like the hamskea the most. Followed by the vapor trail then the qad. That pespective is biased by the fact that the qad was impacting accuracy. Setting that aside, the hamskea shoots bullets. It held a tune all season and doesn’t look any worse for wear. The vapor trail is a second but I prefer the full containment of the hamskea and it seems to be a bit more sensitive on timing.

I don’t think I will be building another bow anytime soon but if I was it would be a hamskea rest.

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
Broke one ripcord myself. Watched a friend's break this year. Then watched a ripcord and a QAD freeze up to where they wouldn't drop in the snow this year.

Short answer - Hamskea for me.

Ive owned both. I must admit that the QAD hdx never gave me any problems, but I always prefered the hamskea when tuning. Also the limb driven nature is just more reliable in my experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
Never have had a problem with a QAD. Are you changing your other bow over to a Hamskea too?

For me, if I'm shooting a Smackdown or a QAD or whatever, my back up bow for that year is also set up that exact way.

(as well as having the same sight and everything else so that when I pick up either of the bows that I will be hunting with that year, they both are exactly the same feel.)

Firehawk

WKR
I am looking at the same thing right now. My RX-1 is supposed to ship next month. I have been using a QAD Ultra HDX on my Hoyt Vector and it has been really reliable. I like the "arrow lock" feature and wondered if I would be bugged by the Hamskea not doing that. That said, my biggest concern was having a cable or string running down to my limb. Seems that it would catch on things. Am I totally overthinking that? Is it really not a problem?

Not sure if you mean locking the arrow in the up position or anti rebound.

I did miss the Locke day in the up thing for a bit but you get over it. I got used to holding my arrow with my index finger when I switched to the vapor trail.

As far as the limb string. You may be overthinking it. 9 times out of 10 it is running between the bow and the quiver. Anything that is going to catch it either moving or during your shot is going to give you other problems too.

OP
arri1942

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider
Never have had a problem with a QAD. Are you changing your other bow over to a Hamskea too?

For me, if I'm shooting a Smackdown or a QAD or whatever, my back up bow for that year is also set up that exact way.

(as well as having the same sight and everything else so that when I pick up either of the bows that I will be hunting with that year, they both are exactly the same feel.)

Not planning on it unless i really like it that much more.

jmez

WKR
I am looking at the same thing right now. My RX-1 is supposed to ship next month. I have been using a QAD Ultra HDX on my Hoyt Vector and it has been really reliable. I like the "arrow lock" feature and wondered if I would be bugged by the Hamskea not doing that. That said, my biggest concern was having a cable or string running down to my limb. Seems that it would catch on things. Am I totally overthinking that? Is it really not a problem?
Your overthinking it. Been using limb driven tests for years and have never snagged the cord on anything.

Anything that catches the cord is going to catch your strings and cables.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

lintond

WKR
Switched from smack down pro to QAD to Hamskea. I prefer the limb driven. Super impressed with the Hamskea and micro tune.

rcrfc

FNG
Tried at least a season each of: QAD Ultra Rest HDX, Vapor Trail Limbdriver, Trophy Taker Smackdown, Whisker Biscuit, Ripcord Code Red and Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Pro micro.
Love limb driven for the accuracy and ease of tune.
Of the 2 limb driven rests, Hamskea hands down. Limbdriver is a solid rest, but the micro tune of the Hamskea and it’s overbuild toughness take it to the next level.
If you were only ever stand hunting white tails within 30 yards the Hamskea might be overkill, but if you wanna reach out and poke at something after going in deep, then accuracy and overbuilt is in your wheelhouse.
Just my $0.02.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had an original Hamskea and didn't care for it as much as I like my QAD HDX. I've been using the QAD now for three years and haven't had a single issue with it after 30k+ arrows through it. It hasn't needed adjusting at all once I got it set up. Every limbdriven rest I've used has had issues staying consistently the same. Problems with cord stretch, spring tension, etc. Add in the full containment of the QAD and it's a winner for me.

Gumbo

WKR
I've never run a QAD but have ran a Ripcord and had nothing but issues in terms of breakage and tuning. Switched to a Hamskea hunter micro and once I found the ideal limb placement, tightened the tension screw, and started putting felt on the launcher it has performed flawlessly. I have experienced no cord stretch or slippage after thousands and thousands of arrows. Nor has the cord ever gotten in the way, in spite of lots of belly crawling through sage and the like. I do carry a couple extra springs and cord in case I need to make a field repair, but good luck fixing a QAD or Ripcord in the field.

PMcGee

WKR
I ran Qad for years never really had a problem. I have an HHA Virtus on my bow now. Never shot a Hamskea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bates

WKR
I have both on my 2 different bows.... i like them both

i like how the qad the arm or arrow doesnt move or come up it stays put

but i also like how my hamskea can be set back and it not hit the shelf...

hard to say which one i would pick if i had to.... both are good options

Outwest

WKR
Ive had the Hamskea Hybrid hunter for a season now and I wont be switching anytime soon. I have had a QAD seize up on me before I switched to a smackdown pro. I went through 3 springs in the smackdown before I switched to the Hamskea. It is very well built and the launcher springs are housed inside of two sealed bearings. As far as accuracy goes, it is a next level rest.

As far as the cord getting snagged, It is a non-issue. I never really worry about it. If you are snagging it on brush, your strings are already getting snagged and you have bigger problems.